how did you start running?

Options
elv1ra
elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
Hi!

Running has always terrified me. in school track and field and cross country were absolute nightmares for me. i was always the worst runner in the school and it was pure torture. I've never been in good shape in my life. now im at 190lbs and im wondering if i have it in me to become a runner and actually enjoy it. my biggest challenge is breathing. i get REALLY out of breath easily and it takes a long time for me to recover from it (shovelling snow in the winter makes me feel like im litterally dying. its painful and takes about an hour for my breathing to go back to normal). I also have bad anxiety so being so out of breath can be scary because it feels very similar to a panic attack. on top of that im a smoker : /... bad, i know.

Last night i went for a 40 minute brisk 2.2 mile walk, and managed to do a very short run in the middle(about 20 seconds) but it took about 40 minutes for me to get my breathing back to normal afterwards.

any runners out there who started from very out of shape? how did you start and build your stamina(breathing in particular). are there any runners out there who smoke or am i just kidding myself?

Replies

• amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    One foot in front of the other.

But honestly, check out the app Couch to 5k. It's taken me from barely able to jog 30 seconds to jogging (albeit slowly) a full mile in about 8 weeks.

I was extremely out of shape, almost 270lbs.

Also. Quit smoking. Or what's the point of getting healthy?
  • Forever4me
    Forever4me Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've never smoked and sounds like perhaps you might have asthma (have you had that checked out?), but I can relate to the fear and anxiety of running. I've been fat since I was 5 and up until a year ago, if you would ask me if I would prefer to run 1 mile or walk 20, I'd chose the latter. I started using the app C25K - Couch to 5K. It was AWESOME! It starts you off in very short intervals of running/jogging and walking and the first "run" is only 18 minutes or so. You work your way from there. Although I've been slacking the last couple of months, I was running 6 miles outside this past spring...and really enjoying it!! So - it's possible. Baby steps and stick with it!

PS I started running at about 180 pounds or so, so not that different from you.
  • runneraly
    runneraly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I agree with the previous poster about trying out a program such as couch to 5km. I used a book from the running room but basically did the same thing. You start with a timed goal and switch between running and walking. I found it difficult to regulate my breathing at first as well. I found it helpful to start on a treadmill so I wasn't pushing myself to run faster than I really could, then I started taking deep breaths that lasted for a couple of steps, then exhale for a couple of steps. Focusing on my breathing really helped me.
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ive wondered about that too, even when i was a kid... i think the next time i see my doctor im gonna ask him about it.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm using an app (not the couch to 5K), I think it's lolo easy 5k. I'm on week 3 and I'm running 1min walking 1min and I'm at a distance of almost 2 miles (3.2 klm). By the end of week 7 I will be able to run walk a 5k. I'm not sure what happens next. I guess I change the intervals to run 2 min with 30 sec. of walking?

There's a 5K in my area the first week of October so I'm hoping I can run the whole way by then.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When you start running, and C25K is a fantastic way, pay attention to your breath. Try to inhale over three steps and then exhale over three. If you can't maintain that, back off. Also, breathe way down deep. Shallow chest breathing will make you out of breath faster, draw breath down deep in your belly. It might take a few runs to get used to, but it's worth it in the long haul.
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was a big smoker, really out of shape and hit forty and thought "that's it!". I used a couch to five k programme, which I tweaked whenever I struggled. I stopped smoking, and just revelled in doing something. Every time I couldn't finish I didn't care because I'd lost weight and was exercising. I just knew I'd do it some day. It's taken me nine weeks but I'm now in week five of the programme, as I kept repeating until I was ready. Tomorrow I'm doing a straight 20 minute run. If I don't do it who cares? I'll do it next week. Keep at it, even if you run for one minute a day and stop it's better than nothing. Tomorrow you'll do one minute ten.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    C25k. I used to get winded after two minutes. Now, I'm up to two hours.
  • MSouthernbelle87
    MSouthernbelle87 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I did sprints. I knew I couldn't run the entire time so I would walk then run as fast as I could until I was out of breath. Then I walked until I caught my breath never stopping and then I started back running. I promised myself I wouldn't do less than 3 miles anytime I tried. Ran my first half marathon 4 months after I started and I lost 40lbs. I started at 222.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'll also echo the virtues of Couch to 5k. It's a great way to work your way up to running. Like you, I always HATED running, but started C25k at around close to 300 lbs, finished it, and now run fairly regularly.

And the rule of thumb I learned is that you should be able to carry on a conversation while you're running. If you feel like there's no way you could at the pace you're going at, slow down. It's okay to be slow, even really slow, but you want to be at a pace you feel like you could maintain. Then you can build your endurance. Once you have endurance, then you can build speed. Don't start off too fast - don't set yourself up for feeling like you're failing! :drinker:

I run regularly, and I run SLOW all the time. :laugh: But every time I go out, my pace improves slightly!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I did sprints. I knew I couldn't run the entire time so I would walk then run as fast as I could until I was out of breath. Then I walk until I caught my breath never stopping and then start back running. I promised myself I wouldn't do less than 3 miles anytime I tried. Ran my first half marathon 4 months after I started and I lost 40lbs. I started at 222.

I like this idea!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I started running about the end of March. I was about 210-200 pounds. It was tough for me and will be for you too. When I first started, I could barely run a mile without passing out or stopping. Then I was eventually able to go over 3 miles without stopping. Now I'm able to go for a full run without stopping or feeling too out of breath. My time has improved too.

I took a different approach to running. I didn't use any programs. I just started out slow and kept building up depending on how I felt. The key is not to quit and that distance > time at this point (if you ever want to get faster).

Start slow and don't give up! I agree about not smoking as it's hard enough to breathe while running. Good luck!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Couch to 5K walk/run interval training... it's great!
    Download the app, add some great music to your playlist, then... just GO! :)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I was a chunky teenager who worked at a bakery so I started running so I could afford to eat more at work. It took me a long time to build up strength and endurance but I got there and have run a handful of 1/2 marathons. Keep at it, listen to your body, rest when you need. Do NOT add too much mileage too fast, you will injure yourself. Finally, I swear by the green Superfeet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I started out walking...then I downloaded an app similar to C25K and used that. Ultimately I determined that I really didn't like running all that much so I ride my bike instead but I spent a good 6 months or so trying to force the issue.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've recently made the transition from power walking really fast to jogging/running. I did not want to, but I had to because my heart rate was no longer getting high.

I started by researching how to run. I wanted to make sure I ran properly so that I did not injure myself.

Then I started to incorporate short bursts of jogging intervals in my walks. For example I walk on a track. I would power walk half the quarter of a mile, then run the next half (1 lap total) and repeat.

Now I can run 2 laps without stopping. It may not sound like much, but as someone who never ran in their entire life (well except if someone was chasing me or if McDonald's was closing soon - haha) I'm very proud of myself. I'm hoping to be able to power walk for 2 miles, then run for 2 miles straight by late fall, but I'm not going to force things.

Good luck OP!
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've always hated running... PE at school was my least favourite subject and yes, cross country was my worst nightmare!!

I still can't run for very long, but I recently started the Zombies, Run! 5k program... it's a couch to 5k program, but it makes it a little more interesting! I now can't wait until my next walk/run because it's so fun, and it starts off with short enough running periods that, while they're still hard, I know that I can do so I push myself to get through them!! Check it out: https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
  • donut0420
    donut0420 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was a big smoker, really out of shape and hit forty and thought "that's it!". I used a couch to five k programme, which I tweaked whenever I struggled. I stopped smoking, and just revelled in doing something. Every time I couldn't finish I didn't care because I'd lost weight and was exercising. I just knew I'd do it some day. It's taken me nine weeks but I'm now in week five of the programme, as I kept repeating until I was ready. Tomorrow I'm doing a straight 20 minute run. If I don't do it who cares? I'll do it next week. Keep at it, even if you run for one minute a day and stop it's better than nothing. Tomorrow you'll do one minute ten.

I just did my 20 minute run this week! Congratulations! C25K is awesome - I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to go from super unfit to running.
    To the smoking thing, I was a smoker up until 3 weeks ago. I bought an e-cigarette I use (0% nicotine) whenever I have a craving, but I've more or less stopped all together.
    Good luck on your journey!