Dropping a dress size?

Options
2»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your height and where you carry your weight. My jeans were falling off of me after 15 pounds. I actually went down from a 16 to a 12 in the exact same jean and while they're snug in the waist, because that's where I carry most of my weight, they fit me everywhere else just fine. And I'm just 5'2". I think 15 pounds would be less noticeable on someone who was much taller.
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It varies greatly with all of us losing weight. How much weight you need to lose and genetics (where we keep the weight)
    But for me at 255lb I wore size 22 jean (they were tight). At 233 I wore a size 18 jean. And TODAY at 217 I wore a size 16 jean.
    So I am averaging about every 20lbs.

Hang in there, it will come. I know exactly how you feel in wanting that NEXT size down. To me it is a great mini goal.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The larger you are the more weight it takes to lose a size, and then as you get smaller it takes less and less weight to a size. It took me around 50lbs to go from 38" jean to a 34" but 18lbs to go from a 34" to a 30" jean
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 pounds lost and haven't dropped a dress size yet. For me I think it is that for the larger plus sizes it takes a lot more to do it. Give it time!
    It will vary from person to person for sure. I've lost 27lbs total and dropped from a US size 10/12 to a 4/6.

At one point I dropped a full size without losing any weight on the scale. Scale weight doesn't always line up with the tape measure, so it's a good idea to track both. Some form of weight training (or strength/resistance of some sort) is also helpful for making those changes in the body, helping to maintain firm muscle while the fat comes off.
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 11" and have lost 46lbs... and gone from a 18/xxl/16/xl to 12 pants, large top.

It took at least 20lbs before I noticed a significant difference in my clothes.

My goal is size 8 pants and medium top (but not sure if medium top will work due to the large boobs... hopefully they shrink)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    36 pounds and I've finally dropped from 1X tops to XL. Pants I've been wearing 20s for a bit now (started at 22), and possibly on the verge of checking some 18s out.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think it might depend what size you are starting out. When I first started, I was 214lbs, and it took me a 30lbs loss to drop from a size 16 to a 14. The smaller I get, the less weight loss it takes to drop a size. I bought my last pair of jeans 10 lbs ago, and they're already too big. I've dropped almost 2 sizes in a span of 15lbs, which is at quadruple the rate my resizing was when I was heavier and losing.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Really, it depends on how well your clothes fit beforehand.
    For example, I've lost just shy of 60lbs and am trying to lose the last 30 now, and I only went down one pant size, which seems crazy. But, before I started losing weight, I was probably wearing pants that were a size to two too small that I was stuffing myself into (like laying down on the bed to get the zipper up type stuff). I probably should have been wearing 16/18's, maybe even 20's since I was around 230, but I refused to budge from my 12/14's.
    I'm less stubborn now and I buy pants that fit regardless of the number on them because pants that fit don't give you muffin top even if you've got a little, but now I wear 10/12s for the most part. So in reality, a lot of my clothes have only changed by one size.
    On the bright side, I've had to buy fewer pairs of pants?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds and only went down one dress size (used to be an 8, now a 6). Though I mean, when I was wearing an 8 it was tight on me, so I might have technically been a 10 and just didn't want to admit it to myself, lol.

So I'd say 10-20 pounds per dress size. Depends on the person though.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    32 lbs, 2 pants sizes, one (?) top size, dress sizes are too bizarre to even bother with…

Went from a US 14/16 pant to a 10/12 (mostly 10, could probably wear an 8 in legging jeans), from a large/XL in knit tops to a M/L and from an XL in woven tops to L. I have broad shoulders and a largish chest and huge legs, so I've always had to go a size up in woven tops, and I just bought a pair of leggings that's a size L, fits my legs… and is too loose in the waist.
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In general, the larger you are, the more pounds need to be dropped in order to drop a size.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned something about being curvy. I've lost 15 pounds and while I've gone down from a 32 to a 29 in jeans, I could wear a size 4 dress A LINE dress even at 160 pounds. The dress size is harder to change for me.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've stayed the same size (US 8/10) this entire time, when I was smaller (120 when I graduated high school), when I gained weight (160-167 at my heaviest), and now that I've lost some of it. It's just that my clothes don't feel as tight anymore. I guess everyone is different. I think it's because my weight is stored around the middle.
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    One time I did my weight loss, I lost 2 jean sizes and only lost about 10 pounds but it was hard working out. This time, I'm down about 10 pounds and the pants are just getting a little loose (most likely I was in denial that I should move up a size). It really all depends where the weight wants to go that day! Keep on!!
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    dropping a size or two took a little bit of time, but then I had a whole range of clothing sizes in my closet--from size 12 (my "diet pants") to a hefty size 20. So when I dropped a size it might not have been as noticeable as would have been if I would have actually had to purchase new clothes...

I can tell you this much, though... once I lost the first 50 lbs, I was changing sizes every 2 to 3 weeks... and that WAS tough because I was wearing a size 10, then an 8, then, a 6... now a 4. I shopped alot at the good will because it was one way of affording "new" clothing..might be a good idea for a new company--- "borrowing" clothes while dieting similar to going to a library and "borrowing" a book to read... :-)

point is, it was really slow going at first but then every couple of weeks, I was out shopping! Of course, I had a 100 or so pounds to lose, so that might have made a difference also (am wearing a size 4 these days and I think this is where I am going to stay)
  • CarriesCalories
    CarriesCalories Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies and tips. I am a size 16 (uk) and have a total of 56lbs to lose, I was hoping to notice a difference sooner but glad that it isn't uncommon for the first size to take a while.

I have started exercising 6 days per week so hopefully that will help too.
  • CarriesCalories
    CarriesCalories Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Friend,
    I have gone down 4 dress sizes, 30 lbs and 8 inches off my waist in 7 months. However, I haven't had great results on my thighs and lower abdominal area YET. <--- I'm working on it!

Wow that's good going in 7 months, hope I can achieve similar.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I always felt like 10 pounds got me one dress size smaller.