How to get enough calories?

Options
Hello, I recently decided to start watching what I eat and exercising, due to a hiatal hernia I have that was making it impossible to get through the day without getting sick and feeling awful. I changed my diet to better suit my stomach issues, and began eating small snacks all day, instead of full meals. The only problem is, because I've been working out, I'm burning off a lot of calories and I am having a lot of trouble making them up enough to get to my daily goal. I can't really eat more because it will inevitably make me vomit, so I'm trying to figure out better ways to increase my caloric intake so I don't slow my metabolic rate and not get the nutrients I need. Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to how to do this?

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods: peanut butter, nuts, avocado, cheese. There are lots to choose from.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, olive oil all calorie dense foods that are nutritious and can be added in to your diet without vastly increasing the volume too much

Ice Cream is always worth a thought as well :-)
  • macrotracko
    macrotracko Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, yep. Any kind of nuts or nut products really. Avocado. Cheese.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories are good too. If you take a serving of oats, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 1 scoop of protein powder, a banana and a cup of 2% milk you've got 600ish calories in a small glass...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    more fat...cook with olive oil and whatnot...eat nuts and nut butters...avocados, etc. small amounts of these things are very calorie dense.

beyond that, you might want to also check your training...if you're training so much that you can't keep pace with your diet, that is not a good thing...if you train like an athlete you have to learn to eat like one too.
  • dspinkston
    dspinkston Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    All of the above suggestions are very good, in my opinion ...especially peanut butter. You could eat it smeared on crackers -- It is surprising how filing and high in calories they are. You could try foods (in moderation) from the BRAT diet used when recovering from a stomach illness: bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. In a pinch, the last time that I was seriously ill I ate baby food from the infant section of the grocery store. I hope that you recover completely and soon!