Brussels Sprouts?

Options
124»

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I slice them in half, then pan sear them in a little bacon grease. Once they're a little brown, turn the heat down and add a little balsamic vinegar with a sprinkle of fresh cracked pepper and some salt. Cover and let them steam a little until they are tender to your liking. Plate them up and sprinkle with a little fresh grated/shaved parmesan.

You're welcome. ;)
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    They taste kind of like small cabbages. Your whole house might smell like farts for a day or two after you make them, but they are delicious, prepared well. If you don't like them the first way, try them another way next time. I think roasting gives the best flavor, because it caramelizes them on the outside and makes them feel very decadent when they're actually low-cal and incredibly healthy!

That's because they are. :P
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I like ours roasted as well - but we add a touch of balsamic vinegar and honey. Mmmmm!
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar sort of cuts away a little of the bitterness most people associate with sprouts.
  • barbaratdodge9
    Options
    Balsamic is delicious, too!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hands down, this is the best recipe for brussels sprouts I've ever had: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/11/recipe-for-shredded-and-roasted.html

It takes a little time to shred them, but it's worth it.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I thinly slice the brussel sprouts and sautee in coconut oil. I have a "gourmet" thai seasoning salt that I then lightly sprinkle on them.

They are so delicious like that.
  • Minx675
    Minx675 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Roasted with a little olive oil, sea salt and pepper....bacon doesn't hurt either! :smile:
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this a couple weeks ago, I tried it with baby brussels sprouts and it was sooooo good! But then, I love them.

http://recipes.womenshealthmag.com/Recipe/maple-glazed-brussels-sprouts.aspx

Ingredients
    1 pound brussels sprouts (trimmed and halved)
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    10 small garlic cloves (peeled and halved)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
    1. In a large bowl, toss 1 pound brussels sprouts (trimmed and halved), 2 tablespoons each maple syrup and olive oil, 10 small garlic cloves (peeled and halved), 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Roast at 400F on a baking sheet until garlic cloves are browned and softened and sprouts are lightly browned and tender-crisp, 18 to 20 minutes.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I usually buy frozen, I cook on stovetop with alittle water, bacon grease and brown sugar. When softened, I cut into small slices and stick back in pan to saturate them. Very good. Brussel sprouts seem real strong without thinly slicing them.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I hated the things as a kid, but love them now. I always have a bag of them in the fridge. There are a lot of ways I like to use them.

1) halve and then roast them at 400 degrees on a foil lined cookie sheet, with a little olive oil, salt and pepper (or whatever seasonings you like) for about 20 minutes;

2) tossed in a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and grilled (if cooked on a BBQ, cook them on a piece of foil);

3) chop them up or shred them raw and add them to soups, beans, salads, sandwiches, or make a slaw out them, etc;

4) toss a couple in a green smoothie;

5) sautee them in a little olive oil or butter, garlic, salt, pepper (I like to also add mushrooms and spinach and then fold the sauteed veggies in an omelette);

6) when I steam white fish (usually cod or halibut) in the oven in foil pouches (with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper), I often add halved brussel sprouts to the pouch. They absorb all of that flavor and are so good;

7) if I roast or grill them, I usually cook extra to keep in the fridge (I do this with most veggies I roast or grill). Chop the leftover sprouts and add to things like salads, sandwiches, or anything where you want a little extra flavor;

8) my least favorite, but I'll still eat em...steamed. I don't care for them when they are steamed too long and become mushy (which is pretty much how they were always served to me as a kid!).
  • willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love them steamed and with mustard.

I know.
    I am weird.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I julienne them in the food processor and then sauté them in butter with onion and bacon. Salt, pepper & nutmeg.
    Then add a wee bit of heavy cream at the finish.