What are your tips/tricks for drinking water?

Options
scubakat67
scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
I am setting a new challenge for myself for August to drink more water. The goal is 75 oz. daily. I'm just not a water drinker - never have been. Only time I really drink water is when I'm exercising. Otherwise, it's usually an energy drink, unsweet tea with splenda, or Coke Zero. So, what are your ideas, tips, tricks that you use to get your daily water intake?

Thanks!

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    unsweet tea with splenda counts as water as far as I'm concerned.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just keep a water bottle next to me at all times, pretty much. I don't drink that much though... Probably 1.5 to 2 liters a day (I have no idea how many ounces that is - maybe 6 cups?).
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    unsweet tea with splenda counts as water as far as I'm concerned.

Anarchy
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a 750 ML water bottle that I love with an easy flip top and I fill it before heading to the gym. I make sure it is all gone when I leave and to be honest, I usually end up having to fill it again midway through my workout (which is 2 hours) most of the time.

Another trick - when I get an iced tea at Dunkin Donuts, after I'm done, I save the cup and fill it with more ice and flavored Selzer, or even just plain water. It still has the flavor of the lemon from the iced tea (I get extra lemon in mine) and it's fun to drink with a straw. I will usually fill it up at least twice once I finish the iced tea.

I always have water at my bedside table and drink throughout the night (little sips when I wake up).

In the winter, when I don't have the urge to drink cold water when it's chilly, I make lots of herbal teas and drink those throughout the day.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    At first you just have to force yourself to drink water regularly (add citrus slices for flavor) and then the more you drink the more you crave. That's how it worked for me, anyway.

Also, I try to visualize it as all that cold, pure water is helping my body in many ways: digestion, moisture for my skin & hair, etc.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking two as soon as I wake up is helpful. I usually end up drinking around four easily during my workout , and then I drink four more throughout the day.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I''ll use the crystal light packets, or something like Mio to give it some flavor.
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    My method usually begins with getting a glass from the cupboard. Next I turn on the cold water tap and let it run a while so that the water is really cold (I always feel guilty at this bit because it seems very wasteful). Then I turn the tap off again because I don't want drips down the outside of my glass. I place the glass centrally under the tap, turn the water back on, turn it off just before the water reaches the top. Finally, I place the glass to my lips and I drink the refreshingly cool and thirst-quenching water all down in one go. Lovely :)
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I keep a water bottle at home and one at work. I try to refill my work bottle at least 2 times (sometimes 3) during the day and I use crystal light liquid, Dasani, Mio, or Nestle Nesfruta to make it taste better so I can drink more (I get tired of plain water). Then I try to drink at least 1 water bottle at home in the evening. That's usually 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 litres a day.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I keep my gallon jug on my desk. I have it marked with lines of how much I should drink and when. Seems to keep me on track, and frequently in the bathroom...
  • Seevan07
    Seevan07 Posts: 23
    Options
    I was not a water drinker, either. I use Crystal Lite, Mio, fresh fruit, whatever I can add. I pretty much don't drink anything but water now.

ETA: I keep a 24 oz Tervis cup at my desk. I drink probably 16 more oz at home. I know that's not the recommended 64 oz, but I am not a huge drinker of any liquid.
  • LaurLaur242
    LaurLaur242 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a major water drinker(about a gallon every day) and one of my "tricks" is to make sure I drink at least 24 as soon as I get up. And I agree with both John and Franc127, if I make iced tea(with truvia or unsweetened), I count it and I have a water bottle with me whenever possible. I'll put lemon slices(sometimes with splenda/truvia) in my glass or bottle and it makes you feel like "you're changing it up" and having lemonade. Another thing that helps me is that I always know the size of the bottles and glasses I use, so it makes for quick computation.
    I also try to get at least half of my water intake by 2pm, if possible(I have a long commute from work and that gives me an hour and a half before I leave ,so I can to go to the bathroom about a 100 times):laugh:
    Good luck to you!
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I drank diet pop for years and years and couldn't stand water because of course it wasn't sweet. Once I quit diet pop a few years ago it was easier to drink water. You have to force yourself when you start but now it's habit. I drink two cups of coffee in the morning and the rest of the day is water unless I'm having an alcoholic beverage in the evening.
  • HelenaCavanaugh
    HelenaCavanaugh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    24 oz plus lemon first thing in the morning.

24 oz with lunch

24 plus lemon sometime in the late afternoon

and then a random glass or two during the day.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have a 24oz water bottle which I re-fill at least 4 times a day (so 96+ ounces daily).
    I don't really have a problem doing it, part of that is probably that I drink 8oz before every meal, and 8oz after, and most of the time during my meal I drink another 8. So really, only one of my water bottles (if I work out, 2) comes outside of my meal times.
    Honestly though, I think I just really like water at this point. Other than my morning tea, it's about all I drink.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My method usually begins with getting a glass from the cupboard. Next I turn on the cold water tap and let it run a while so that the water is really cold (I always feel guilty at this bit because it seems very wasteful). Then I turn the tap off again because I don't want drips down the outside of my glass. I place the glass centrally under the tap, turn the water back on, turn it off just before the water reaches the top. Finally, I place the glass to my lips and I drink the refreshingly cool and thirst-quenching water all down in one go. Lovely :)

LOL.... It needed to be said... I've seen a few of these threads in my day and I guess I just don't get how drinking water can be so difficult.

If you're adding any steps to the procedure outlined above, you're doing it wrong.
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options

LOL.... It needed to be said... I've seen a few of these threads in my day and I guess I just don't get how drinking water can be so difficult.

If you're adding any steps to the procedure outlined above, you're doing it wrong.

Ehhh, it's better when it's swallowed.

(Back to trolling now)
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love those squeez water bottles, I feel like they are easier to drink out of. I feel like it's easy to end up drinking 52oz when I have the large gas station cups too. Adding flavoring might help as well. :/
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    On a relatively more serious note. I generally fill a quart mason jar or large cup and chug as much as I can at first before taking the remainder to wherever I am, sometimes with a refill. At least that way I get a good dose to begin with. I find that I drink a lot not when I do it that way.
  • Lyndonbearsmommy
    Lyndonbearsmommy Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I am not a water drinker either, but I've recently found that if I add lemon and lime and make sure it's really cold, I drink a lot more