Hi All!! Alot to lose so feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Options
Hi All. My name is Jimmie. I just created an account but I messed up my profile and couldn't figure out how to change it. Oh well. I've joined this site in hopes of finding some friends who will keep me going and in check. I have quite a bit to lose. Right now, I'm about 430 lbs. It just seems like I have so far to go. I can barely do any exercise. I just don't know where to start. I have to reclaim my life. If anyone is willing to friend me and help each other in this journey, please feel free! Also, if you have any tips about navigating through the site, feel free to share.

Replies

• jasmang
    jasmang Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You are so awesome for taking control!! I am no professional, but I recommend just taking it a little bit at a time. Do a little more exercise than you previously did. Maybe start with going for a long walk every morning or night. Once you start to feel like you aren't challenging yourself, increase the length of your walk, and/or walk faster. Also weight training is always important! Another thing you can do at the beginning is cut down your portion sizes! This website is super helpful for keeping track of what you are eating... It is easy to eat more than you need and not realize it. That has been my problem for a long time. Good luck with everything!! Stay positive and keep being awesome!
  • ForeverDanielle2013
    Options
    Hello Jimmie, you made the right choice. This is a great place to start, especially if you want support. We are all here to support each other on our journey. Just take one step at a time, you got this :happy:
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the beginning of the new you. A few tips, take pictures of yourself now not selfies but full body shots you will want them later.
    Navigating the site is awkward at first, if your using a mobile app I'd suggest logging on the old fashioned way via an actual web page you'll learn your way in no time.

I'd suggest not looking at the big picture just take on small steps, start with doing what you can do. Work on a healthy diet, drink plenty of water and start exercising. If the only exercise you can do right now is walking then walk. Set fitness goals with weight goals being secondary. For your first weight loss goal I'd say 5% (roughly 22lbs) so it won't seem so intimidating then you'll be close enough to push yourself to get below 400.

Congratulations for taking the first step and making yourself a priority.
  • drey0422
    drey0422 Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi Jimmie!! Its completely understandable to feel overwhelmed, but at least you took a moment to realize that it was time for a change. At this point as long as you change your eating habits you will begin to see a drop in your weight. Once you feel more comfortable them you can begin to exercise at your own pace. You should set small goals for yourself so you don't feel so overwhelmed. You were able to take the hardest step which is to make a change for the better :)
  • vkacademy
    Options
    Hey, so great that you joined and are making changes to improve your life! Don't get discouraged by what you see as a long road ahead and don't let the idea of exercise put you off your goal. Honestly, exercise can be anything that gets you moving, even doing some simple leg lifts while sitting at the computer or a few sit ups while still in bed. You don't have to schedule a block of time to do a regimented workout. Start small and slow and be kind and patient with yourself. It's a difficult thing you're doing but you CAN DO IT!!!
  • TimFranklin423
    TimFranklin423 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Welcome, buddy. Just remember, you eat the elephant one bite at a time. You can do it. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hi Jimmie! Welcome :flowerforyou:

Lots of people around for support and help. Like another poster said, take pictures! You will have days when you feel like it's not working. Having pictures from now and where you will be at that time will be helpful. I see differences in my pictures that I don't see in the mirror. Take measurements too!

Set smaller goals (also mentioned before). This will help with keeping you focused and not feeling overwhelmed. Find a way to celebrate those smaller victories as you reach them (non food related rewards).

If you don't have one, buy a belt, you'll know why soon enough!

Have patience. This is going to be a long process. You will have rough weeks when your resolution wavers. That's when you reach out to your friends to drag you through that tough moment. The scale lies for many reasons, so if it shows a no loss week, or a gain, as long as you are confident that you have been following your plan, keep doing what you are doing.

Be kind to yourself. Eat 80% healthy/nutrient rich foods, but allow yourself that 20% for treats. If you start by saying you won't eat ice cream ever again, it is the only thing you will think about for the next few weeks until you give in. So just allow it. Don't make anything a forbidden food. There is too much guilt when you assign 'good' and 'bad' to food choices. Also don't be mad at yourself if you go over once in a while. Stay with the plan as much as possible, but you still need to enjoy your life.

Make small changes. If you try to completely change your diet overnight, it will be really hard to maintain.

Ask for help. We have all needed it at one time or another.

I hope something in here is helpful for you. Best wishes.
  • jfuqua01
    Options
    We really can't lose it all at once anyway, so I like to think I only have to lose 1lb. That's not so tough. Then I'll lose another lb. After all, that's how we gained it in the first place.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi Jimmie, welcome to MFP. I have a lot of weight to lose too. I'm glad that you decided to begin your journey. I remember the first time I walked. I decided I was going to walk from Barnes and Noble to the theater. It is all of two blocks. I couldn't do it. I barely got to the end of the first block and had to sit on a bench for 10 minutes before I could walk back to the car. I did it every day until I could walk that block and back without having to stop. Things take time. I am great at being supportive (even though I am old). I'm sending a friend request. If you accept, that would be great.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I just created an account but I messed up my profile and couldn't figure out how to change it.
    Click on "my home" at the left of the blue navigation bar at the top of the page.
    Click on "my profile" in the middle of the dark blue lower navigation bar.
    Click on the green button that says "edit profile".
    Type whatever, wherever.
    Click on the green button at the bottom that says "save changes".
    I have quite a bit to lose. Right now, I'm about 430 lbs. It just seems like I have so far to go.
    So first you're going to get to 429.
    Then you're going to get to 428.
    You get the idea.
    Eventually you'll get to your healthy goal weight.

Right now, you're probably eating 4300 cal per day to maintain your current weight.
    To drop 2 lb per week, which is a reasonable & healthy rate, drop 1000 cal. 2 lb per week is about 100 lb per year, so this is going to take several years.
    That's still an awful lot of food, so as you get used to it nudge it down 50-100 cal every few weeks until you're at 10x your goal weight. (See my blog post below, about setting goals. Go look at the BMI chart & make your initial goal the highest weight in the green range for your height.)
    That calorie goal is your _absolute_ goal, not your net. Ignore net. (That's what my doctor told me.)
    I can barely do any exercise. I just don't know where to start. I have to reclaim my life.
    Good news: you have started. :smile:
    Now you have to keep moving forward.

Here's a famous post that you should read several times, until you get it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I've done blog posts about motivation & encouragement:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/motivation-encouragement-680938

exercise: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/exercise-667080

and setting goals (both weight & calories): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/setting-goals-667045
    Start with that one, after you read sexypants.

The good news is that most weight loss comes from eating less.
    You can do that.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Start with what you can do now. If that's just walking to the end of the driveway & back, do it. Do it several times a day, until you can increase the distance.
    Do arm exercises using a bag of flour in a plastic grocery sack for weight.
    Eventually, see if you have a city recreation department that might have a pool to swim or walk in, or a gym you can use. At the very least, parks are usually nice places to walk.
    I use Planet Fitness, which has a basic membership at $10 per month & they're open 24/7. Many locations have personal trainers & classes so they can show you how to use the weight machines (or free weights, if you like) & help you figure out what to do & how much of it, and you increase the exercise as you get stronger.

And I agree with what others are saying about taking pictures & recording measurements.
    Get a face shot, plus a front & side full-body photo.
    Even if you don't show them to anyone else, just keep them on your computer or phone, you'll want to look back at them in 6 months to see how well you're doing. (And when you hit 50 lb or 100 lb or 200 lb down, you'll probably want to post them & get congrat's.)
    In the past 6 months, I've lost 40 lb, 7" off my waist, 6" off my hips, at least 2" off my biceps, thighs, and calves.
    You have a lot more to lose, so progress will be more rapid at first.

Celebrate every 5 lb you lose, every time you drop 1 BMI number, every inch off your waist, every time you can increase your exercise duration or weight that you're lifting, when you're down 5% or 10% or 20% from your starting weight... you get the idea.
    I actually sat down & made a chart showing the weights I want to hit, the BMI that goes along with them, and I'm recording the dates as I hit my goals.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on getting started. Do not beat yourself up over not being able to do it all right now. Just do what you can until you can do what you want. When I first started exercising 5 minutes on an elliptical just about killed me. Now I could go for a couple hours if I wanted (though I'd rather dance). You will get there. Same goes with the food, start with small changes, and as others have said, don't make any food of limits or label it "bad"
  • tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    dude you got it, i know its cliche but go a step at a time. Start by removing 1 negative thing out of your diet each week, (type of food, type of drink, etc) until all the bad things holding you back are gone. Then just start out small by doing whatever exercise you can for as long as you can. Make a song playlist full of your favorite songs, and workout through the playlist, then each week add a song to increase the duration of the workout... a year will go by and you will be shocked by your results. Its a slow and steady race, but if you keep going and push through you will be guaranteed to win.
    Its never easy to take that first step but by being here your already on your way, i believe in you man!!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Welcome you can do this. It's simply calories in versus calories burned. No weird diets, no elimination of your favorite foods, you just eat a lot less of them. Stay within your set calorie goal with MFP, and do not eat back burned calories. You'll lose weight quickly since you're accustomed to consuming a lot of calories, but the more you lose, the slower it comes off.

Remember a calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs. It's simply eat less, move more.

Start with mini goals 20 pounds at a time. Start walking, and once you feel comfortable walk further each day, and then walk faster. When you get that under your belt join a gym, and really turn on the heat.

You're in this for the rest of your life, start now and never stop, just keep going and you'll get there.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm about 430 lbs. It just seems like I have so far to go. I have to reclaim my life.

Try to separate your journey into two parts--

1. Reclaim your life now. Begin living a happy, fulfilling life that you're proud to share today. Perhaps you can't run marathons--set realistic expectations--but there are plenty of rewarding things you can do. Music, art, writing, reading, education, groups/clubs, helping your family, volunteering for charities, etc.

2. Lose weight! No rush on this one. Small steps over time will move mountains. :)
    I can barely do any exercise.
    That's okay. Weight loss is more about what you eat anyway. Toning/strength is where exercise comes in.
    I just don't know where to start
    Log what you eat today. Repeat tomorrow and the day after Next, begin to make moderate restrictions that you can handle life-long--less calories, more vegetables, more fruits, etc. Voila! Each month you're lighter. As you get lighter new opportunities will unlock for you. Integrate them into your life slowly!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    First - welcome! You have taken the first step in reclaiming your life.

I realize that when you are very over weight (been there...still am) it seems overwhelming. The thing that has helped me more than anything is to focus on 10 lbs gone. Then when I've achieved that - focus on losing 10 more pounds. If I had worried about losing 200 pounds when I started...I wouldn't have, it would have seemed like an impossible task.

Start your exercise program by walking - maybe it's just to the end of your driveway the first week, maybe it's around the block by week four. Do what you can...and just do one more step tomorrow than you did today.

You can do this!

I'd be glad to be a friend if you'd like. However, you may enjoy younger friends who are having the same experiences that you are.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jimmie...

You're taking the first step on your journey. Don't worry about how much or how long it will take to get to the goal line. Take it ONE step at a time.

Don't be overwhelmed by the website. Just play around on it and in a bit of time you'll get the full hang of it.

The only advise I'll give you is to be consistent in logging your food and exercise. It really does become a good habit after a few weeks.

:smile:
  • sedmach
    sedmach Posts: 6
    Options
    Welcome. I'm new here too but I just wanted to say you made it past the first step and that was starting. I was where are are not too long ago. Just keep at it. You can do it. Never thought I could either and I'm about to pass the 100 pound mark. Just keep at it and you'll start to see results and once you see results you won't want to stop.
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    I can tell you, for 6+ months I was successfully losing weight before I joined here. Time flies, better to start now. You have nothing to worry. If you want to lose weight and are serious about it, you will. Just keep the motivation, mental strength is how one wins.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jimmie!

So there was a great guy on here that started at over 450 lbs, and was overwhelmed too. He started with logging his food and going for a walk. At first he could barely walk any distance because it hurt his knees and feet and he'd be out of breath. Now he runs (yes, runs) 5k's. Does crazy bouts on the elliptical. Has lost all kinds of weight. Anything is possible. And while he's a great guy (and all kinds of inspiring), there's nothing magic about him - he did it and you can do it too. There's lots of people here to help.