A whole lot to lose and feeling somewhat overwhelmed!

Options
Hello all! My name is Elizabeth, and I just started with MFP today. I am 286 pounds currently, and would like to get down to at least 150. Just typing those words makes me cringe and want to cry almost. I really want to reclaim my life. I feel constantly judged for my weight, and all-over inferior to others. I need my confidence back. I have lost weight before, and did quite well at it, but it was almost impossible to keep off as I was only 14 at the time of my weight loss. If you're overwhelmed like me, add a post and we'll be overwhelmed together! Looking for encouragement and people to motivate me. Add me if you want!

Replies

• txcraftr
    txcraftr Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have felt like that for a long time. It takes baby steps so you do not feel overwhelmed by the whole amount you want to lose. You can add me.
  • xixshaiyaxix
    xixshaiyaxix Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just take it day by day hun, and if you have a misstep, everyday is a chance to start again. You can do it! <3
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,
    I am LInda (in progress), I just started my 2nd try at MFP. Last time I signed up and never went back. struggled to lose 30 pounds by myself. I started at 280. I came back three weeks or so ago. I just passed the overwhelmed stage and got to the excited stage. excited to see my cloths looking baggy, too see how exercise plays a role, and to feel like I am in charge again. I check out the community stuff at least twice daily and find encouragement both in seeing the tremendous progress folks have made and in running into others like you, who are just getting started. I truly hope you will stick around and find a place with MFP, because the time is going to go by anyway and you deserve to look and feel great about yourself when it does. Doing nothing gets you nothing, doing something gets you so many great things!
    Friend me, lets get this done!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've been in this process for over 1.5 years. After a while, you kind of settle into it and learn to take the long view.
  • nikole21212
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth! Well this site will def help you! I agree with the other user, take it a day at a time. I'm going to add you if you dont mind. We can motivate each other!
  • rupp_elizabeth
    Options
    You can do this!! I felt the same when I started with MFP 3 months ago. I started Y-Lose-It program at my local YMCA and LOVE IT!! If you are new to exercising, as I was, and petrified of joining a gym, I highly recommend this program. You get matched up with 4 or 5 other people who are starting from scratch just as we are. Starting the exercise program helped me become even more devoted to MFP and being completely honest with myself about every bite that I was putting into my mouth. Walk the treadmill for 30-45 minutes, and you will know how much work it takes to burn off a certain number of calories. It makes taking "just a bite" of this or that much easier to pass up! I started 12 weeks ago at 234 and am down to 212. Just did my Y-Lose-It exit health assessment and measurements. Blood pressure and resting heart rate is better. Down 3% body fat, which equals 15 lbs of fat lost, 4 inches on my waist and three inches on my hips. Check out your local YMCA... will be the best money you've ever spent!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth. Based on the time, there is a bit less traffic on the boards right now. I am posting a link to a thread started earlier today by a gentleman who is feeling much like you are, overwhelmed and new. There was some great feedback for him on there, and you could pick up some great info to help you along the way.

Take pictures, full body shots now, for yourself. You may not notice the difference in the mirror, but you will see it in those pictures and they will keep you moving forward. Take measurements too. The scale is a liar for many reasons, so it is good to have other ways to see you are doing well.

Be patient, and be forgiving of yourself. This is a long process and you will make choices that you feel are mistakes. They are not mistakes, you are human. Best wishes.

Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1377498-hi-all-alot-to-lose-so-feeling-a-bit-overwhelmed
  • Elizabethgulick93
    Elizabethgulick93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Already feeling better :) I added a bunch of you, but no pressure to accept.
  • samchow0468
    Options
    Just like a project, you did to break big tasks into small tasks so they don't seem so overwhelming. Focus on your eating routine initially. Start with breakfast, then morning tea, then lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and lastly supper. For example write down what you would eat from breakfast to supper everyday for a week. Review your consumption and slowly begin the process of changing what you eat, how much you eat and how often you eat. How much and how often you eat will change once you begin exercising and as your exercise regime changes as your fitness improves. After you feel happy with your food consumption and you are into a routine, start adding exercise. Just like your eating routine start slow and progress slowly. Remember to set little goals that are achievable from your own point of view. This means do not try diets that you know you cannot stick to and this goes with exercise as well. This is a long term change you are embarking upon and these changes will hopefully stay with you for a life time. I started on 130kg at 35 and I am now 46 and weighting in at 90kg, that's 40kg over 10 years. Remember a small task is easier to complete and less daunting. Good luck and post your results periodically. :-)
  • eclipse162
    eclipse162 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey Elizabeth Im proud of you for taking that step getting healthy for yourself. What I would suggest is you do Cardio first to burn down the fat and calories. While exercising diet by creating calorie deficit. I found out on my own that Ive been lied to all this time of course. It is 500 calories in a pound. But all over the internet they claim its 3500 calories lol wow. But It's 500 in each pound, 250 in half a pound. Set and eating goal of how many you comsume vs what you burn off before or after. Drink some Green tea sometime to surpress your appetite so that your brain wont trick you into thinking your hungry when you just ate 2 hours ago. Last motivation, will drive you to your goal period but remember why begin wanting to lose it to begin with. "I dont train to defeat other's, "I train to defeat myself.
  • PingyWingy
    PingyWingy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is a great start Elizabeth! Once you start, you will feel inspired->good->then you will start to lose weight. Forget about the numbers for a while, just stick to the plan, and be happy!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It's overwhelming, totally; my highest recorded weight is 290, and I'm aiming at somewhere in the 150 - 180 range.

Obviously no one can make it easier for you, but I'd like to say that it gets a lot less overwhelming as time goes on and the success begins to build up. I'm about halfway done now (give or take) and it seems easier now than it ever was before, even though I have to be a lot more strict now than I was at first.
  • Girlg0yle
    Girlg0yle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am 286 pounds currently, and would like to get down to at least 150. Just typing those words makes me cringe and want to cry almost.

I feel that way every time I think of my goal weight...it seems so impossible. But smaller goals do seem possible. I set about a dozen mini goals that are stops along the way which seem so much more attainable I can actually feel a little excited instead of overwhelmed. As an example getting below every ten pound mark ie you could just focus first on a goal of 279.9 because it's in the 270's not 280's and than shift your focus to 269.9. If you are staying below your calorie goal and getting some exercise daily you'll start seeing losses of a lb or 2 here and there and suddenly those mini goals seem so much reachable.

I started at 215....2 weeks ago I was 202 my goal weight is 115 but even thinking about it makes me feel defeated. Today I was 194.2. So my goals start like this
    187 (because it is the lowest weight I've reached in the last year before a running injury set me back)
    163 (because technichally for my height it is no longer obese
    etc down to 115

Each step is smaller and seems less daunting. Right now my 'goal' is 189 because that is the next step...I'll think farther than that when I reach it...that's what helps me.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Hey Elizabeth Im proud of you for taking that step getting healthy for yourself. What I would suggest is you do Cardio first to burn down the fat and calories. While exercising diet by creating calorie deficit. I found out on my own that Ive been lied to all this time of course. It is 500 calories in a pound. But all over the internet they claim its 3500 calories lol wow. But It's 500 in each pound, 250 in half a pound. Set and eating goal of how many you comsume vs what you burn off before or after. Drink some Green tea sometime to surpress your appetite so that your brain wont trick you into thinking your hungry when you just ate 2 hours ago. Last motivation, will drive you to your goal period but remember why begin wanting to lose it to begin with. "I dont train to defeat other's, "I train to defeat myself.

Sorry, I have to ask where you heard a pound is 500 calories? You need a 500 calorie a day deficit to lose roughly a pound a week.

OP, all I can say is don't try to look too far in the future, just take it a day at a time, and remember no food is bad. Do a search for a post called Fitting it in (giggity) using the search function. That post is a great tool for filling out your diary and making sure you're getting the proper nutrients. I'd post the link, but I'm on my phone's browser. Good luck!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Ummm, no. The 500 calorie per day deficit becomes a weekly pound loss because over a week 500 x 7 = 3500. I'm not even touching the rest of it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I had to go back and get the link for this blog. I thought it would be good for you to read it. It's short. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SideSteel/view/if-you-re-not-losing-682957

Hopefully it won't take you long to figure out who knows what they're talking about, and who doesn't.

ETA the link I referenced. I was able to copy it from my profile. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • lollyhackett
    lollyhackett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth - I applaud you on taking a very brave step and joining us all here on the community boards - we are all somewhat on the same journey, some may have a lots of lb's to lose - others not so many - but the end result is finding that inner happiness, boosting self esteem, feeling good in your own skin.

To begin with every day will seem like a mountainous challenge I am sure, but with every day that passes and you succeed - you will notice changes....very quickly!

For me personally, I had to take photos of myself to truly bring it home! All I need to do is look at those photos every day for my personal motivation to become a better body! It's hard taking that first step to photograph yourself - but the realisation of what you "actually" look like is a fantastic way to get truly motivated each and every day!

Good luck! I've added you! :smile:
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth. :)

I definitely know where you are coming from. I started at 330... am currently down to 297 and am aiming for 165. I still have 130+ to go. It's definitely something that will require long term commitment.

One day, one pound at a time, is how I'm looking at it.

Welcome to MFP!
  • BLC52492
    Options
    This website will definitely be a big modivater! Ive used lots of other websites and programs to keep me on track but this one is by far my favorite. Its funny how some things you once though were "good for you" are actually packed with calories carbs sodium or sugar. MFP definitely helped educate me on nutrition and helped me make better choices. Its vital to start looking at food as fuel instead of a source of pleasure or comfort. Temporary fixes and excuses will only hinder your results. Stick with it and try your best everyday and im sure youll start looking forward to writing entires in your food and exercise log! The most important thing to do is be honest. Ive caught myself not logging in foods that i ate like candy and soda and it only kept me back from any further progress. Its ok to be honest with yourself it will only help you move forward. It may feel like you have so much weight to lose that even starting this journey will give you anxiety. Hell you may not even feel like your just starting if youre like me whose been overweight since i can remember. I started at 230 and am down to 181 and theres no stopping me now. I can only hope for the best and ive learned to see everyday as a new day. The thought of losing over 100 lbs might feel impossible but how many hundreds of days have you felt held back and unable to be yourself or comfortable in your own skin? Youre 20 years old, this is the begining of a new life! Im 22 and i feel 16 again, i actually wore a 2 piece the other day! Reach for the extrordinary and know that you have thousands of people who feel the same way you feel everyday. We're all in this together. You got this girl!!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

Well done for starting :-)

I would strongly advise keeping a food diary for a whole week BEFORE making any changes. It's always good to know how you got to where you are. By the end of the week, your attitude to a lot of foods will change, trust me lol