constipation....BEWARE....MAYBE TMI FOR SOME!

Options

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to the doctor. If you have not had changes in your diet/stress etc, then you should have it checked out! You doc can refer you , too.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I glanced at your diary from the last week. You average about 1000 calories a day. That's not a whole lot of food. Do you always eat that little or is that a recent change? It could be that you simply don't have enough food in your system to produce enough waste for you to need to go every day. If you're in pain from irregularity, try eating a larger, high fat meal. Also, track your fiber and fat intake. Both numbers are super important for digestive health.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    PROBIOTICS!!!
  • itsnojokeanymore
    Options
    exersise helps- and water- water and more water
  • stonecatkelsey
    Options
    Since this is a change for you and you haven't changed your other habits, I would recommend you get checked by a physician before trying home remedies. It could be nothing more than routine constipation but could represent something much more serious.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This has always been a struggle for me. If i eat more i seem to gain! This morning i had a light fat free greek yogurt with fresh blackberries. Then i ran on treadmill. Then for lunch i had whole wheat spaghetti with venison sausage, two pieces of bread with light butter, and shredded mozzerella on the spaghetti. Now its 3pm and know i should get a snack. My calories are set at 1500, but i find i'm hungry at different times during the day. Ive been told that i'm not really hungry and to drink water. But i AM hungry! I try to eat healthy snacks....fresh veggies or fruit. I love both so thats never been an issue for me. I recently turned 40 and i know things slow down at that time in life but im just sp confused!
  • kxll01
    kxll01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Green tea in excess caused issues for me. I found out by tracking new food additions. One cup good, any more. Bad!
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem with constipation, I go once or twice a day, everyday. But, since I've started dieting last week I am going 4 days without a BM. All I've done is cut out sugar, empty calories, etc and I drink triple the water I was. I add psyllium husk to my smoothies and eat tons of veggies. I've cut back on coffee which I think may be playing a role but I still have one in the morning. I just don't understand why suddenly, nothing! Does anyone know of any good cleansing teas which do the trick? I tried some lactulose today, we will see if that helps.
    Dieter' Tea, but beware, the active ingredient is senna and some people have a bad reaction, like horrible stomach cramps, and you don't know until you try it.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of all of you poopers.
    My whole life my average is once every 3 days.
    I don't go at all when I'm on vacations.
    An 8 day trip about 10 years ago to chicago yielded nothing.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    ^^^Traveling stresses the body out. This happened to me too while I was traveling down to southern Japan by train for seven days and couldn't go properly until I was back in my comfy dorm at university. My tummy wasn't bloated at all though, which was very strange.

Three things to keep the system running IMO: adequate fiber, water, and fat.
  • djunk158
    djunk158 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am hypothyroid and when my meds are correct I am constipated. My homeopath recommends Natural Calm by Natural Vitality. It is a magnesium supplement that helps with the hardness but not really the frequency. I also drink Glucomanin every day which helps with form. I only weigh in when I am sure I am empty which is not all that often. It does add weight - depending on how constipated a person is. An abrupt change in your bowel pattern without any change in eating habits is cause for concern and I would see my MD. Good Luck!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I went over my nutrition logs and I recommend those of you with constipation to do the same. This is what I saw, I eat less calories, less fat, less carb and more protein. AND despite my healthier eating, my fiber intake is way below the target recommended by MyFitnessPal. Ugh, more fiber?
  • melodiarentsen
    melodiarentsen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Used to struggle with this all the time. Use a laxative. Get it out. Take it before you go to bed. Can't make this a habit. After that, add a probiotic to your diet. I would use a pill because you can get a higher amount in the system. If you can handle it, a suppository will get the horrible process over quicker but not for the faint of heart. Be religious with the probiotic. I had my gall bladder taken out and this has been the solution coupled with a lot of blueberries. Coffee helps if you like it. My son who wrestles uses Super Detox Tea the night before a meet. You can get it locally at like Wal Mart in the coffee, etc. section. Works great. Sorry you're suffering.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    cigarette
    coffee
    colon blow

in that order...

seriously, if it is that bad go to a dr....

Seriously....drink some coffee and toke up....you'll be ready to go within 15 min....:bigsmile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you eating?

Dealing with constipation is different for everyone, so you'll need to try a few things to see what works for you. If it's really a concern, go to the doctor for help.

this- dietary fat often gets over looked- and people wind up ... backed up-.

Get thee to white castle- and have a big pot of coffee before. Then go for a run around the block- but stay close to home!
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    Exercise and smooth move tea before bed. Also coffee in the morning if I'm really broken. Sometimes 5 prunes if I'm excessively broken.
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I no longer go every day after I started my low-carb paleo diet and I was accustomed to my morning poopies. I don't do this every night, but I take about 500mg magnesium citrate before bed and in the morning it usually comes. If it doesn't come immediately it usually does after my morning cup of coffee. I tried psyllium husks, metamucil, miralax, nothing worked but magnesium does the trick. Hope that helps!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Try some prunes. Better for you than that magnesium stuff (and probably tastes better). There might be some other foods that will do the job.
  • kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I havent read the whole thread to see if this has been mentioned, but have you started any new meds recently? I was recently prescribed an anxiety med and all of a sudden I started experiencing constipation (worse than what I usually struggle with anyway!!!) and I read the side effects, and lo and behold.....its a side effect of the med Im on.

Colace is great (for me anyway) and its something my doctor has me take regularly. Good luck, I know how miserable it feels :(

Kristen
  • minusonali
    Options
    I get the same thing all the time! I upped my fiber intake, i eat fiber cereal and beans,its helped a bit but I found that prunes really help. I hate the taste but I just pop one every morning and like an hour later I am in the Bathroom. (TMI sorry)