asthma, prednisone, and corticosteroids

Options
I don't know if this is the right thread, but I need some answers! I've had asthma my whole life and its really bad, but I've never had to think about how the meds are affecting me with weight gain until recently when I started trying to loose! I started in oct and dropped 16 pounds pretty easy while taking qvar. In late december I had a really bad flare and was really restricted in my ability to exercise as hard as I wanted to, but still stayed on track with my diet and went to the gym 5 times a week. Still gained a few pounds, but no biggie. So I ended up having to do 5 days of prednisone last week and I gained 4 pounds in one week! I was still under my calories everyday, I was totally shocked! So, since I'm done taking it (and my asthma is back in control thankgod!) will that weight be fairly easy to come off? It was really dishearting, especally because I feel like I still worked my butt off that week! Also my controller got switched to asthmnex? Is that going to affect weight gain like the pred?

Replies

• sirloinofbeef
    Options
    Yes it will. It takes about twice as long as it took to gain, but it comes off. It bloats you real bad. I have been taking it on and off for years for my flare ups, and it always does it to me. Just try to stick to a lower carb diet for a few days and the water retention should subside. Good Luck!
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    I know for a fact that prednisone will make your weigh skyrocket, my husband was on it a few years back, and he ate like a flea, and still balloned up! not to mention the fact that prednisone has other nasty side efects like irritability, BAD irritability! My advise is, if all humanly possible can your doc recommend something different, my heart gos out to you, just keep trying.