BORED! Is this normal?

I spend about an hour and a half a day, 4-6 days a week at the gym. I plan on slowly decreasing this amount because, as a college student, I know I won't have this kind of time once the school year kicks in (or once I graduate and get a full-time job). I vary my routine every day to make sure no two days are exactly alike; however, I've found myself getting super bored and reluctant to go lately. I don't know if I just need shorter/less frequent workouts, if I need more sleep and am just tired, or if I need to take a week or so off from the gym. Or maybe I just need a better TV show (I tend to Netflix while I work out). Any similar experiences or suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    I spend about an hour and a half a day, 4-6 days a week at the gym. I plan on slowly decreasing this amount because, as a college student, I know I won't have this kind of time once the school year kicks in (or once I graduate and get a full-time job). I vary my routine every day to make sure no two days are exactly alike; however, I've found myself getting super bored and reluctant to go lately. I don't know if I just need shorter/less frequent workouts, if I need more sleep and am just tired, or if I need to take a week or so off from the gym. Or maybe I just need a better TV show (I tend to Netflix while I work out). Any similar experiences or suggestions? Thanks!
    90 minutes is alot of time at the gym. YOu can probably cut that in half and workout more intensely and not be as bored.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    You say you are varying your routine, but I'm still not sure what you're doing. Elliptical? Strength training? Treadmill? Yoga?

I do Strong Lifts and C25k. Each workout is similarly structured but I'm increasing weight/time running, so it's a new challenge each time. Doing a training program really keeps things from being boring to me. I also get to see how much I have progressed, which motivates me to keep pushing myself and coming back to the gym.

Also, I'm a college student too. I would strongly encourage you to stay active once you go back to school. You will sleep better, think better, and most likely get better grades when you're exercising regularly. Instead of working out on your own, try and join an intramural club/team so you can be social and still exercise.

Edit: Also, my workouts are usually 30 mins - 50 mins, and still pretty intense. Like the other poster said, maybe cut down on your time so you're not hanging around feeling bored.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    This is probably going to sound pretty wimpy to you, but I only lift three days a week and run or hike the other four. I really like variety and being indoors while exercising sort of destroys my soul. I would try to get outside more, if that's an option and something you like. Otherwise, way more variety. I like the thought of intramural sports, hiking, yoga / pilates, or utilizing whatever other resources you might have around (swimming if there's a pool, rock climbing if you have rocks... or a wall...; interval cardio on a bike or track, etc.).

As for Netflix: Sons of Anarchy, Jericho, Dexter, Breaking Bad or find some excellent movies. I recently discovered "John Dies at the End," which is weird as hell, but I seriously love it.

Keep at it, buddy, you're doing the right thing. If all else fails, take a week off and relax a little. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape as-is.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Mix it up. I get bored too so I try out new classes at my gym, some I like, some I don't. Go outside. Run to a park and do bodyweight exercises there. Keep it fun :)
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    I would try a new at home DVD workout, or take a group EX class. That usually shakes things up for me!
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    If you have the attention span to watch TV during your workout....you probably aren't going hard enough. Go for shorter workouts with higher intensity. You want to be efficient as possible while you are there. Nobody really likes going to the gym,.Get in, get out. I'm sure you would rather be a million other places instead.

Get a stopwatch for you lifting sets to measure exactly how much rest time you have, and don't go over.. Don't hit more than 30 mins of pure cardio ever, your body will start to break down your muscles a bit for energy after that point (30 mins of intense cardio is usually enough to wipe out your glycogen stores, your body needs a couple hours to get them back up). I typically never go over an hour for my workouts, I usually allocate 15 min to do cardio and get sufficiently warmed up, then 45 minutes to lift.
  • nrheasley
    nrheasley Posts: 78 Member
    You say you are varying your routine, but I'm still not sure what you're doing. Elliptical? Strength training? Treadmill? Yoga?

I do Strong Lifts and C25k. Each workout is similarly structured but I'm increasing weight/time running, so it's a new challenge each time. Doing a training program really keeps things from being boring to me. I also get to see how much I have progressed, which motivates me to keep pushing myself and coming back to the gym.

Also, I'm a college student too. I would strongly encourage you to stay active once you go back to school. You will sleep better, think better, and most likely get better grades when you're exercising regularly. Instead of working out on your own, try and join an intramural club/team so you can be social and still exercise.

Edit: Also, my workouts are usually 30 mins - 50 mins, and still pretty intense. Like the other poster said, maybe cut down on your time so you're not hanging around feeling bored.

5 minute warm-up/cool-down walk, 30-45 mins on either the elliptical, stairs, or treadmill, and 2-3 different strength machines (5 sets of 8 reps as I just began doing weight training. I plan to increase this. In fact, I'd like to eventually switch to alternating between cardio and weights each day as opposed to doing both in the same day).

I absolutely do still plan to stay active once classes begin. My weight loss journey actually began last October with C25K--love it! I just know I won't be able to spend an hour and a half a day at it.

I do like the idea of classes and plan to look into them once the semester starts!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    if most of my workouts were ones i could watch tv while doing i'd also be bored.

try adding in some strength training (strong lifts, strong curves, new rules of lifting for women, starting strength)...

check these out for cardio : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique
    tuminello complex with 25# weight plate or cosgrove complex with a bare barbell is not boring

add in plate pushes with a 45 pound weight plate : http://www.yourtrainerpaige.com/2013/12/my-favorite-cardio-exercise-plate-pushes/

turkish get ups with a kettle bell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Q9mxjhMy8

cleans, jerks and snatches with a kettlebell etc

the possibilities are endless. if you have a solid baseline of fitness then time to kick it up, stop relying on the machines and get to work :happy:
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Everyone gets 'bored' at the gym from time to time. Usually its fatigue, stress, burnout, or maybe that type of exercise isn't for you. Before tossing in the towel, evaluate what your doing in the gym. Do you have a plan before you go through the door? Does the plan cover the week, or the month, or maybe 12 weeks? Secondly, you have to set goals. With weight training, it is easy to create a goal oriented plan over the course of months. A training plan can also apply to cardio workouts if that's your thing. Don't let your mind wander, when working out. Stay focused on the activity and the immediate goal(s) you are trying to achieve.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Limit yourself to an hour 4x per week. Don't program hop though. Pick a good program and stick to it, you will be less 'bored' once you start seeing real progress. Once you get momentum going, it becomes something you love doing.

Source: been doing this for close to 30 years now
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Start Running, it's never boring.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Start Running, it's never boring.
    lol yes it is. I run all the time but find it gets super boring unless it's sprint intervals or an obstacle run.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    b40b4ed76522879a221dcfb9ec4dcb5f.jpg
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    I'd ditch at least 15 minutes of cardio in favor of a bit more weights / strength training. And get off of the machines. Free weights, baby! You'll see results faster.

Some might argue you could ditch the cardio altogether (on some days) and devote a solid 30-40 minutes of intense lifting. I've personally seen much better results, but do cardio on my off days to get blood flowing to the muscles and to give the guns a rest.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    I would be bored wasting 1 1/2 hours at the gym as well. And I'm assuming you do cardio since you mentioned TV show, which would be even more boring. I workout 3x week for 30 min doing StrongLifts 5x5. It's a simple and quick routine but the compound lifts provides a full body workout.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Totally normal. I logged about 244433578788 on the elliptical before I got bored no matter how I tried to distract myself. I finally just changed what I was doing. I'm transitioning now into weight lifting and focusing on that and less on cardio. Bottom line us, if boredom is keeping you from working out, change what you're doing. Try a class or running outside. Play basketball. Try different things until you find something you enjoy.