EGGS??

Options

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    One trick is to use one whole egg, and one egg white. You get nearly all the protein and about half the fat of two whole eggs.

My dog loves it when I do this, she gets the extra raw yolk with her breakfast. ;-)
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    1 egg yolk*
    1/2 teaspoon fine salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 pinches sugar
    2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    1 cup oil, safflower or corn
    Directions
    In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.

Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

if you want to save your arm you can also use a food processor. also the type of fat really doesn't matter but the darker the fat the stronger the flavor will be. homemade mayo really isn't that hard it's just time consuming takes about half an hour.
  • hugh_jass
    Options
    Is there anything useful to do with just the egg yolks? I like eating egg whites, but feel so wasteful throwing away the yolks!

I use mine to make salad dressings. I'll hard boil some eggs, use the whites on salads and keep the yolks to make my dressings creamier. A typical dressing is half olive oil, half vinegar, some seasoning (normally garlic flavoured) and an egg yolk or two. Blend it up and you have a nice delicious home made dressing free of crap that come in the bottle variety.

I also second the notion that the fat in eggs is very good for you. Many mornings I will have a 3 egg omelette that keeps me full until lunch.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I don't know exact numbers but the yolk of an egg is where the majority of the calories, fat, and cholesterol are! Try just having egg whites, I separate the eggs myself. To add a little substance to your scrambled eggs you can beat a tablespoon or so of low fat milk per egg into the scramble. Hope that helps!

Eggs are natural............The fat in Eggs is GOOD for you and so is the cholesterol.

A good way to look at things and ask yourself if it is healthy or not………..

Did it have a mother (meat and yes the fat is natural occurring, eggs and dairy)? If so, it is safe to eat

Did it grow in the ground or on a tree and can I eat it staright from the ground or the tree? If so, it is safe to eat

Does it come from a box or the frozen food section of the market? STAY FAR, FAR AWAY………….

Does it have to be processed to some degree to be edible (Grains - I personally stay far away from, but some choose to eat them and should be eaten in small quantities)
  • mnsusiek
    Options
    Also remember that since you are eating a protein it will "stay with you" a bit longer. I know that if I have protein for breakfast I am good for a few hours. If it is just carbs, I am hungry earlier and tend to snack.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    if you want to save your arm you can also use a food processor. also the type of fat really doesn't matter but the darker the fat the stronger the flavor will be. homemade mayo really isn't that hard it's just time consuming takes about half an hour.

I make my mayo in the blender and it doesn't take nearly that long. It's good too! I love homemade mayo! I tried one with bacon fat. It sounded good and tasted good but didn't emulsify very well. Might have been operator error though. ;)
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I eat one boiled egg everyday with my breakfast whether it is oatmeal, cereal, yogurt. I'm not sure if this is healthy but I personally feel full until lunch time. I'm not terribly concerned with not eating the yolk...i think its the best part of the egg.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters taste fine to me. They don't save you too much on the calories, but definitely on the cholesterol.

Unless you have been told otherwise by a physcian, there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating cholesterol containing foods like eggs, shrimp, etc..
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters taste fine to me. They don't save you too much on the calories, but definitely on the cholesterol.

Unless you have been told otherwise by a physcian, there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating cholesterol containing foods like eggs, shrimp, etc..

I agree - unless you're specifically told to eat a low cholesterol diet, I wouldn't stress about it as long as your diet is fairly well balanced. :drinker: And I've actually read that more recent studies suggest that cholesterol in your food does NOT have a significant impact on blood-cholesterol levels.

Here's an interesting link: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Cholesterol-Rich-Foods-Raise-Blood-Cholesterol.html
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Is there anything useful to do with just the egg yolks? I like eating egg whites, but feel so wasteful throwing away the yolks!

custard, that is all.

If you have dry skin, the yolk makes a great hydrating mask (just a thin layer and let it dry, then rinse off). If you also save a little (1tsp) of the white, you can follow the yolk mask with a white mask that helps firm up your skin and acts as an astringent. Leftover yolk can be kept a day or two in the fridge. I've tried it a few times, it's pretty nice. I suspect the yolk can also be used to hydrate your hair in the same way (only don't let it dry lol), but I haven't tried it yet. Like many have said here, eggs are full of great nutrients so even if you're not going to eat it, you could use it topically (just RINSE well! :happy: ).
  • Grokette
    Options

I agree - unless you're specifically told to eat a low cholesterol diet, I wouldn't stress about it as long as your diet is fairly well balanced. :drinker: And I've actually read that more recent studies suggest that cholesterol in your food does NOT have a significant impact on blood-cholesterol levels.

Here's an interesting link: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Cholesterol-Rich-Foods-Raise-Blood-Cholesterol.html

This article is actually false. The more cholesterol you eat, the less your body has to make, therefore you will have lower cholesterol levels.

90% of your blood cholesterol is made in the body, not the foods we eat.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm veering a little off topic here but I recommend the book "In Defence of Food" by Michael Pollan.
    I started eating whole eggs and butter again without fear after reading it.

It's kind of funny that we (the general NA we) get hung up on real foods but think nothing of eating 100 calorie packs of chemicals and microwave meals and so many other processed foods without a bat of an eyelash.
    Those are the "foods" that are causing the problems not a sweet little innocent egg. :D
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Use the yolk to make spaghetti carbonara!

It is really easy to make a healthier version, use milk instead of cream, whole wheat pasta, and no butter. I also use low fat bacon. It still tastes great!
  • brblake
    brblake Posts: 11
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts on this topic but I do enjoy "egg mugs" from the hungrygirl.com website. The recipes use egg sustitute and a wedge of laughing cow cheese for the basic recipe but there a many others listed on there to try. so YUMMY!! For the basic you take a mug like an over sized coffee mug and spray with cooking spray. Take 1/2 cup egg beaters(or other brand) and 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese and microwave 2-3 mins(depending of strength of microwave) stirring have way through cooking time. Make sure you soak the mug after you are done eating to make clean up much easier!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm veering a little off topic here but I recommend the book "In Defence of Food" by Michael Pollan.

It's kind of funny that we (the general NA we) get hung up on real foods but think nothing of eating 100 calorie packs of chemicals and microwave meals and so many other processed foods without a bat of an eyelash.
    Those are the "foods" that are causing the problems not a sweet little innocent egg. :D

Agree wholeheartedly.
  • simplyme40
    Options
    I use Egg Beaters, They come in 3 varieties southwestern style (spicy) , garden vegetable, cheese and chive, and plain.
    I use southwestern and its 30 cal for 1/4c.
  • Grokette
    Options

Very much agreed!!

I don't think people realize that when you eat nutrient dense, real, whole foods that we actually require a LOT less.
  • RMinVA
    Options

Very much agreed!!

I don't think people realize that when you eat nutrient dense, real, whole foods that we actually require a LOT less.

Exactly!
  • RMinVA
    Options
    /

This article is actually false. The more cholesterol you eat, the less your body has to make, therefore you will have lower cholesterol levels.

90% of your blood cholesterol is made in the body, not the foods we eat.

Did you actually read the article? It supports what you are saying. The title of the link didn't do it justice. This is one of the paragraphs...

Eating Cholesterol Does Not Raise Blood Cholesterol Levels

The truth is, however, that there is no direct connection between the amount of cholesterol you eat and the concentration of cholesterol in your blood. In most people, eating cholesterol has little or no effect on this amount. In about 30 percent of the population, eating cholesterol does in fact increase the concentration of cholesterol in the blood — but it increases the "good" cholesterol.

To put it in more scientific terms, eating cholesterol "results in a less atherogenic lipoprotein profile."
  • Mint_Berry_Crunch
    Options
    thanks for the useful information. keeping this thread handy for the egg yolk uses. i always feel so wasteful when i dump those yolks.