Am i eating enough?

Options
Hi Everyone I am very new to diet and exercise. I have tried the fad diets but never just cutting out all the garbage and having to plan my own meals. I set my weight loss goal to 2lbs per week and a goal of 1200 calories a day. The problem is I am having a hard time eating back the calories that I burn working out. If anyone has any advice that would be wonderful. My food diary is open so anyone can take a look.

thank you,
Ashley

Replies

• ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time, 1200 is too low and you should probably set it to 1lb a week considering you don't have much to lose. And your diary isn't open to the public :)

Edit: Now that I can see your diary, you're eating perfectly fine! You don't need to eat ALL your exercise calories back, especially if you're not hungry. It'll just make it that much easier to lose weight. You seem to be doing good so far, so keep at it!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time, 1200 is too low and you should probably set it to 1lb a week considering you don't have much to lose. And your diary isn't open to the public :)

This ^^^

The less you have to lose, the less that loss per week should be. If you're not under 5ft tall with a little to lose, then 1,200/day is pretty low. I agree with the above poster by saying you might want to set your goal to no more than 1lb per week. That's a healthy rate of loss for someone that doesn't have alot to lose. :)
  • ashleyb34
    ashleyb34 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the comments. What would be considered a lot to loose?? I would like to loose 50lbs total.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone I am very new to diet and exercise. I have tried the fad diets but never just cutting out all the garbage and having to plan my own meals. I set my weight loss goal to 2lbs per week and a goal of 1200 calories a day. The problem is I am having a hard time eating back the calories that I burn working out. If anyone has any advice that would be wonderful. My food diary is open so anyone can take a look.

thank you,
    Ashley

With 35 pounds to go 2 pounds a week is too aggressive. MFP bottoms out at 1200 net for women. 2 pounds a week is a good range for those with more than 75 pounds to lose.

MFP calorie estimates are pretty high for exercise. Many users eat back about half. Calorie dense foods help you reach goal without being too filling. Nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil, cheese...are good add ons.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Weigh out portions of homemade trail-mix with berries, raisins, and raw nuts of your choice, add a bit of salt if you like. Problem solved.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the comments. What would be considered a lot to loose?? I would like to loose 50lbs total.

What's your current stats?

I've got mine set to 2lbs a week because I have about 120lbs to lose total (already down 44). I'd say if you have 50 to lose, then set your goal to 1lb per week and see how that works for you. I'm guessing that will put you around 1,500 net calories. I'm not really sure what the actual number will be.
  • ashleyb34
    Options
    Sorry I am not sure how to change my weight loss goal. That weight is from 3 years ago when I joined my fitness pal. That was my original goal but since 3 years ago when I left my fitness pal I have gained weight. Currently I am sitting at 184.5lbs and I am 5 foot 6
  • allisonlayne10
    Options
    I am having the same issue.

My intake of calories every day is way under what MFP is telling me it should be.

Have you noticed any difference in weight loss or muscle building with drinking protein shakes?
    I have asked around but no one has really given me an answer as how the shakes have helped/hurt them.
  • ashleyb34
    Options
    Honestly I am not sure if they are helping I am only on day 5. I can tell you that It does keep me feeling full longer and I do have more energy. I am definitely not a fitness expert so don't quote me. But I am hoping with the strength training I am doing they will help me build some muscle.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Honestly I am not sure if they are helping I am only on day 5. I can tell you that It does keep me feeling full longer and I do have more energy. I am definitely not a fitness expert so don't quote me. But I am hoping with the strength training I am doing they will help me build some muscle.

It's really....really hard to gain muscle while eating at a deficit. Most people hope to KEEP existing muscle while dieting. Even that takes work.

To Allison.....the bigger the daily deficit the more likely your body will use lean muscle as fuel.
  • ashleyb34
    Options
    thank you