Running my 1st 5k race tomorrow

Options
I usually run at least five miles on a run and have done up to 14 with out stopping so I am not worried about being able to complete it. I average about 11 minute miles even on my longer runs so my time will be ok, not great but I'm ok with it.

I usually run solo but have run a couple times with one other person , so I think I am just nervous about running with so many other people and being that it is for my daughter's school, which I happen to work at, I will know everyone so.....

I just need to get out of my own head I guess....I am a mixture of excitement and nerves.....

Replies

• TMattP
    TMattP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You'll love it.

I do most of my running alone and it's so nice to sometimes run with other people.

Just run your own pace.

Sure you will do fine..
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options

I do most of my running alone and it's so nice to sometimes run with other people.

I agree. I find I feed off the energy of the crowd around me and it pumps me up for the run :smile: Just because you will know people doesn't mean you will be forced to run with them. Say hello, run at your pace, then if there are people you want to chat with you can meet up with them after.

Have fun!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I usually run at least five miles on a run and have done up to 14 with out stopping so I am not worried about being able to complete it. I average about 11 minute miles even on my longer runs so my time will be ok, not great but I'm ok with it.

I usually run solo but have run a couple times with one other person , so I think I am just nervous about running with so many other people and being that it is for my daughter's school, which I happen to work at, I will know everyone so.....

I just need to get out of my own head I guess....I am a mixture of excitement and nerves.....
    Goodluck. Races are a BLAST!
    Just remember to go slow at the beginning. You can wear yourself out in the first half mile if you are not careful! I set my GPS watch with pace alerts for races to beep when I go too fast or too slow and early on I always find myself having to slow down!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You're having totally normal feelings.:smile: I'm always nervous to some degree at any race. Main thing...HAVE FUN. Run at your pace and enjoy the energy and experience. Relish that first time crossing a finish line.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Enjoy it! I usually run alone, but races are a different kind of running with people. No one expects you to talk to them while running etc. People are in their zone, but it's like having a bunch of friends around you. It's great when you come to the finish line and people are standing on the sides cheering.
  • deana727
    deana727 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I'm right there with you! I have my first Spartan tomorrow and I'm like, what should I eat? ...why do I need a rest day again? Lol, I did Warrior Dash last year, this is slightly longer, just a 4-mile sprint and different obstacles. I'm happy to take it outside the gym and away from DVD workouts at home for a change. I know I'm ready. For that beer at the end.