Losing 100+ lbs with low impact workouts; Is it possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear this! I have severe PF. It really hurts. Going to a foot doctor and hoping to get inserts.

For me, inserts made it worse.

I switched to five fingers and sandals, and that fixed it after some physical therapy. That was a few years ago. No recurrence.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose 100+ lbs without any workouts at all - you just need to maintain a kCal deficit. Not what I'd recommend, but it can be done. Dietary changes are the majority of weight loss.

Strength training is very helpful for weight loss, don't neglect that.

But my main reason for replying is that your physician's advice about eliminating impact exercises is the opposite of what worked for me. I had PF a couple of years ago; started when I was doing a run-focused training program. I tried stopping running completely, and it did not work. What wound up working for me was to continue running although at a decreased volume and intensity, while doing a lot of work with stretching. Icing and using the Rubz ball on my foot were also helpful.

But I think the single most helpful thing for me was sleeping with a Strasbourg sock - it keeps your ankle flexed and your foot extended. Without this, the tendency is to drop the ankle and curl up the foot, so the fascia heals in a shortened position - then first thing in the morning you stand up and tear out all the tissue that was trying to heal overnight.

I had a few months where the PF was pretty bad, but with the above it started gradually getting better. I've been running the whole time, sometimes in a run-focused training for a specific event, and I really haven't had any problems with PF at all for over a year.

-- PS -- saw folks above mentioning steroids and orthotics. Just my experience, but neither of these was at all helpful for me. Orthotics make your PF feel better immediately, but for me they did not promote healing and stregthening and improved function of the PF which is the whole point. The plantar fascia is like a rubber band that makes the arch of your foot bounce elastically. If you cram an orthotic under the arch to hold it up, it does take the stress off the PF but it also takes all the elasticity out of your foot.
    The steroid injection worked like magic for about two-three weeks - masked the symptoms completely - but then when it wore off, the problem was just as bad as ever. Also, steroid injections increase the risk of PF rupture, which you really do not want to know about.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I had this for about 2 years when I was heavier, although I did not have it at my heaviest. I had it when I was around 250-260 lb and standing for 6-8 hours per day at my job.

I found exercises online that REALLY helped. Rolling my foot on a can, and doing stretches with the foot planted on the ground -- you can google exercises for it and try them if you like!

For me the most important thing was wearing really good footwear. I became a huge fan of Keen and Merrell shoes and sandals, especially when I was on my feet all day.

I did not notice the problems being worse when going barefoot at home. However, traditional flip flops and ballet flats made the problem a lot worse for me. Even though I haven't had any signs of PF for about 8 years I still limit my time in flip flops and flats, and don't wear them when walking long distances.

*** edited to answer your original question: I have lost 130 lb since 2008, and I have never set foot in a gym ever. I have never even tried a treadmill, nor could I pick an elliptical out of a line up. I don't like running. I get my exercise through walking and hiking regularly, bicycling occasionally and swimming when convenient. I am one of those people who strongly believes that diet is almost everything for weight loss, even though fitness is (of course) very important.
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You might want to try a rowing machine. You have to drive with your legs, but you're not slamming down onto your feet like you are when you're running. Rowing workouts can be brutal.