Depression

Options
Hi everyone. I am 41 years old and absolutely disgusted with how I have let myself go. What's even more frustrating is that I lack all motivation to do anything about it. I was an overweight child who turned into an anorexic teenager and young adult. At 14, I weight 145 pounds at 5'4. I started dieting at 15 and at 19 I weighed 88 pounds. Around the time I hit 27, I started to maintain a healthy weight; around 125. While pregnant at 34, I gained 40 pounds. I was able to lose all the weight except for 10 pounds. Since then, though, I have gained almost all of my pregnancy weight back and now weigh 167 pounds. I cannot understand how I let myself go so bad and can't seem to do anything about it. I can't stand to look at myself. I refuse to buy new clothes even though I am down to one pair of pants that fit (of course they have an elastic waist). I want to so badly to get back my body back and to feel good about myself. Just really need some support. Any other 40 something year olds out there in this rut???

Replies

• thinpip
    thinpip Posts: 33
    Options
    Shhhh ! Take a breath ! You are well within sight of a healthier weight. You have done it before, so you can do it again. What worked for you in the past ? (Apart from the anorexia, - been there too ) . You are just four inches shorter than me and a little less than my starting weight. No one is passing you in the street thinking how big you are or that you have let yourself go. You are just heavier than you would like to be. Be kind to yourself. I have just restarted with myfitnesspal over the last two weeks. Low carb is working for me, but it is not for everyone. About the clothes thing. Stop that now. Stop punishing yourself for being a mere stone or two over your best. You still can, and deserve to look nice. You will feel better if you start taking care of yourself, and I don't just mean the healthy eating thing- I mean buy nice clothes, makeup- if you are into make up. Get your hair done, whatever cheers you up. But stop judging yourself so harshly. I'm afraid my forty something days are behind me, but I hope what I said still makes sense. X
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I don't have experience with anorexia, and I'm not 40-something, but I have chronic depression and I fully sympathize with your lack of motivation. Feel free to add me, I try to be on at least M-F to be supportive.

Good for you, reaching out and looking to better yourself. That's the first, hardest step in my opinion. :heart: