Replies

• Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    ON whey protein isolate is my choice. best bang for the buck
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me the difference between Whey protein and Protein Isolate... Are they the same or is one better? I feel like such a newbie to all of this lol. Those seem to be the main two kinds everyone is mentioning :)
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Don't get the bodyfortress whey, the label is misleading. Also cellucor and bpi whey great mentions, going to have to say PES select whey is amazing though with its snickerdoodle flavor and only 110 calories a scoop

Why is the label misleading? :huh:
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me the difference between Whey protein and Protein Isolate... Are they the same or is one better? I feel like such a newbie to all of this lol. Those seem to be the main two kinds everyone is mentioning :)

Isolate has less lactose.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options

Isolate has less lactose.

Thank you! :)
  • shands1
    shands1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    dymatize nutrition elite 100% whey protein 120 cals/1.5f/2c/25p.

when whey protein is just written like that by itself i think its a concentrate unless specified that it is an isolate. isolates are digested quicker. so you might want to use a concentrate in a meal replacement shake at any time of the day as opposed to an isolate that would be used after a workout shake for the quicker absorption.
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    what you need is to go at your local supplement store and talk to guy there
    he will help you choose the protein based on what you tell him. I personnally used
    bio-x power whey but I don't think it suits your needs
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Whey protein isolate is THE most absorbable form of protein available. Whey protein is up there, but isolate is the best. When I buy protein powder (which isn't often), I buy either Champion Whey Stack, Muscle Milk or Optimum Nutrition (unflavored - and sustains up to 350 degrees so can be used in baking).

However, what I use every day is Premier Protein Ready-To-Drink shakes available at Costco & Sam's Club. They are 30g of protein, 5g of carbs and only 1 of that is sugar.
  • Jimsmith109
    Jimsmith109 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use ( Optimal Nutrition ) it's a high quality protein with a great track record been around a while stood the test of time. proteins come and go these guys have been there
  • richtala
    richtala Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't get the bodyfortress whey, the label is misleading. Also cellucor and bpi whey great mentions, going to have to say PES select whey is amazing though with its snickerdoodle flavor and only 110 calories a scoop

Why is the label misleading? :huh:

https://blog.priceplow.com/supplement-news/body-fortress-lawsuit
  • Morgan91910
    Morgan91910 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the Body Fortress Vanilla Whey. It is just sweet enough to mix with anything for great flavor. Some days I add Greek plain yogurt and fruit, other days I like to add spinach and avocado to mix it up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses :) I am gonna do some research on the kinds you suggested tonight. I appreciate taking the time out to respond.

As far as having it before I exercise at 6am so I don't eat beforehand but my instructor told us we need to before and after. :)

I would ask him why you need to eat before and after.

To answer the question though, my favorite protein powder is Trutein - al their flavors that I have tried are good. Optimum Nutrition is a good solid go-to though.
  • NICKNAKI
    Options
    Hi Cerakoala,

I was in the Vitamin Shoppe this past weekend looking for a protein shake to purchase. I was looking for a particular Vega shake, but they did not have the low calorie one that I wanted, but I noticed they have a Natures Plus Energy Shake; it's called the Original High Protein Energy Shake by Natures Plus. What caught my attention was it says that it is suitable for a diabetic lifestyle and I remembered your post. I have never used Natures Plus shakes, but I love their multivitamins - they are the best for me. Anyway, here is the breakdown of the shake - I took a picture with my phone.
    Calories: 70
    Protein: 16g or 32%
    Serving per container 28
    Fat: 0
    Cholesterol: 0
    Sodium: 150 mg
    Potassium: 150 mg
    Carbohydrate: 2g 1%
    Sugars 0g
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cellucor I love cinnamon swirl and molten chocolate. Bodybuilding.com has the best price. I've tried a lot of powders this is the best tasting
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    another vote for optimum nutrition. i find good prices on amazon and the vitamin shoppe... favorite flavors are coffee, mocha cappuccino, and vanilla ice cream.
  • PDT816
    PDT816 Posts: 6
    Options
    Mix the powdered protein the night before and put it in the fridge. It will taste exponentially better.

As far as brand. I buy MuscleTech at Sam's. My Sam's has half a row of protein mixes and it seems to be the best protein/calorie/carb ratio at 30g, 170, & 8 for the chocolate variety.. Plus it's dirt cheap at about $30 for a 3lb bag.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too. Thanks for asking.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey - Natural Vanilla or Chocolate. Both taste great, mix well, and have no artificial sweeteners in them. 130 calories, 1g of fat, 6g of carbs, and 24g of protein. I make protein bars with that stuff too and they turn out great.

There was a Consumers Report test done back in 2010/2011 where they tested some of the popular protein powders and shakes out there. Several of them tested high for heavy metal content. ON was one of the few that had less than the FDA recommended amount while most had more or significantly more.
  • charlenereynolds1
    Options
    I use Juice Plus for pre or post workout shakes, they're great and have helped me to lose a stone too! :love: