Polar FT7 troubleshoot??

Options
Mostly I'm really liking my Polar, but I often get a message on the watch saying "Check Heart Rate Transmitter!" like it's lost the signal or something and I don't know why that would be. Does my transmitter just need a new battery??

Replies

• RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I really don't know because mine has never done that. Do you wet the strap before you put it on? That's my only thought:).
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I got similar warnings, or sometimes my heart rate would just switch to zombie status (heart rate=0). After trying to replace the batteries in both the watch and transmitter I returned my Polar FT4 for a warranty repair. Upon its return I was informed to be careful about storing the transmitter in a damp place as it is prone to damage by corrosion. I used to just dump the watch, wet rinsed strap and transmitter into a bowl on the counter.

Before sending it back to Polar, I would try wetting the strap, washing the strap, replacing batteries on both watch and transmitter, wearing the watch on a bra strap (ie closer to the transmitter).

That said, Polar customar service was terrific. The warranty period is two years. Just go to their website and report the problem. They reply by email with instructions on how to register a repair and how to send it in. I got my HRM back within two working days (in the UK). You will need to dig up proof of purchase date. I ordered mine on amazon so my dispatch notice was easy to find.
  • azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My first through is that either the strap is not wet enough, or not enough of the electrode is touching your skin. Could also be a battery issue though.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    do you make sure your chest is wet so the transmitter stays in contact with the watch? if your skin dries or if the belt is too loose, it's easy to lose signal.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Mostly I'm really liking my Polar, but I often get a message on the watch saying "Check Heart Rate Transmitter!" like it's lost the signal or something and I don't know why that would be. Does my transmitter just need a new battery??

You have to wash the strap after about every 10 uses. The sweat/salt/grime buildup causes the strap not to read so well. Just throw it in the wash once a week. Hang dry.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would have that message also, I changed the batteries on the chest strap and watch and it has been working perfecly. I also disconnect the electrode from the chest strap when I'm not using it, so it has a chance to dry
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    As others have said:

Tighten your strap.

Make sure the sensors are wet.

Wash your strap in the washer.

Change the batteries in your sensor and/or your watch.

Also, make sure that your strap is UNDER the bottom edge of your sports bra. Sometimes, depending on the bra, it will push under your chest strap or cause your strap to fold over.
  • ajmaupin
    ajmaupin Posts: 44
    Options
    check your bra. if its covering the sensor or slips and is no longer on skin, it will say that... at least mine did once....
  • tolorii
    tolorii Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I get the zombie heart rate too!

I have tried most of these things over the week (tighten the strap, wet it more, dry it properly, make sure bra isn't getting under the strap, separate transmitter from strap for storage), but I'll try changing the transmitter battery, giving the strap a thorough wash, and wearing the watch around a bra strap and see if any of that helps before I send away for repair. I've still got a year on the warranty :)
  • shesaskinnybitch
    Options
    Hi question: I have an ft7 and lately it just tells me to check my HRM because it can't find my HR. I bought it in April. I've read comment that I should put it in the washing machine but do I have to put it in the dryer as well ?!
  • shesaskinnybitch
    Options
    Washing machine and dryer ? Mine has been shutting off during my workouts.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Washing machine and dryer ? Mine has been shutting off during my workouts.

Just wash the strap. Transmitter should stay dry. You might need to send the transmitter in for a warranty repair, as that part is a bit fragile and prone to damage. Please see my previous post about how to do this.