Having issues building a good gym plan

Options
Howdy! I just joined a real gym today. (I have been doing all my workouts at home). And I want to start easing in to heavy(ish) lifting and don't really know how to go about it. I want to get the most of of the 30-60 minutes at the gym. I know what cardio works for me but the weights are the confusing part for me. Like what kinds (bicep curls, lunges, those kind of things) how many sets, how many times a day, how much weight. All that jazz. The things I need to focus on most is getting rid of my bingo lady arms and delicious pancakey booty. Any help would be awesome. And getting a personal trainer is a no go cause I joined a mostly old people's gym and they don't offer any extra goodies. Thanks for your time!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    check out lifting programs like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for women starting strength or strong curves (check that book out for the pancake bootay).

for form you can check youtube
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Not bicep curls.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just google stronglifts
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    try reading at muscleandstrength.com. They have lots of programs from weight loss to body building.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You only have to do weights a couple of times a week. So that's the good news.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Just find a popular, established program that has worked for tons of people.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You only have to do weights a couple of times a week. So that's the good news.

That sounds awful. Why are people on this site so mean??
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm using the new rules of lifting for women as a guideline for my workouts. It's a pretty quick read, I recommend it. I'm using it's first stage right now but since my focus is running, and lifting to complement that, to give you an example of taking a set program and making it work for you, I am doing essentially half of the workouts, twice a week.

Example- two workouts, A and B. Program calls for doing ABAB... I'm doing only AB. Program I think was 3 days a week, I'm doing 2 alternated with my mid week runs. I have Friday as a rest day, Saturday my long run and Sunday as a cross training day before picking back up the first day of lifting for the week.

This is working for me. Use the examples that everyone has given you to check out and don't be afraid to modify to meet your own personal goals and time constraints.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    check out lifting programs like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for women starting strength or strong curves (check that book out for the pancake bootay).

for form you can check youtube

Yes, do this :)