waaaaaaay too much fat in my diet?

Options
Is this a problem?

I seem to get between 70 and 100 grams of fat per day. My last lipid panel/cholesterol screening was fine (and HDL in particular was excellent), but now that I've been tracking things for a while, I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for bad things in the future....

I'm a vegetarian and most of my fat comes from nuts and avocados, but I also eat some cheese and eggs.

Any thoughts from the nutrition gurus out there?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with consuming that much dietary fat. :smile:
  • SweatEatLive
    SweatEatLive Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. If its from vegan sources its not an issue.
  • sparkerxoxo
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. Your body creates fat from sugars. It just most of the time a lot of fat is paired with sugar (i'm looking at you Cheesecake Factory) and its namesake gives it a bad rap.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Its really only an issue if you are displacing other nutrients to the degree that you are deficient in those.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Nup, sounds all good to me :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. Your body creates fat from sugars. It just most of the time a lot of fat is paired with sugar (i'm looking at you Cheesecake Factory) and its namesake gives it a bad rap.

Excess dietary fat does get converted into adipose tissue. Sugars (actually, carbs, of which sugar is a subset of) rarely gets converted into fat.

That being said - you need to look at the total intake as a whole as excess carbs will displace fat being oxidized and then can indirectly lead to fat gain - but this is because you are eating at a surplus.