Food availability in US vs. UK?

Options
I'm British, but have spent a fair amount of time in the US.

In the last 15-20 years, UK supermarkets have provided more and more processed foods (or ready meals), but you can still find absolutely any raw ingredient you like at most large supermarkets, and a decent enough selection in the express, 7/11 type stores (I'm thinking Tesco Metro, etc.)

However, whenever I've been to the US (mostly NY), I am surprised how difficult it is to find a decent (never mind full) range of raw ingredients. Is that just my misperception, or do you actually need to go out of your way to find fresh produce in the States?

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    If you live in the suburbs, it's pretty easy as you will have large supermarkets with produce sections, farmer's markets, etc.

It can be much more difficult in some cities and in some poor neighborhoods that rely on very small grocers, convenience stores and bodegas.
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Our food (US) sucks. Most produce is produced with GMO's, which aren't labeled. Thankfully where I live there are a few family owned farms that sell meat and produce that is fresh and not grown/fed with chemicals.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Never have a problem where I live, we have farmers markets going on several times a week and local meat markets that have several farms local that they get there meat from to process.... Maybe I am just spoiled in a good part of the country... lol :drinker:
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    you have to actively search for good food in the US. Most of the more common supermarkets do not carry much if any. It really is something you have to pursue on your own through less common stores and markets.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you go. I grew up in a small, midwestern American town, surrounded by farms and Amish country, so fresh food was pretty easy to come by. There are, however, in some places what are known as "food deserts" where nutritious food is incredibly hard to get hold of, especially if you don't own a car.

I think it's easier to get nutritious food in the UK because the country is smaller, so you don't have to travel as far to get to supermarkets, farm shops, etc. Also, grocery delivery isn't really a thing in America, whereas in the UK, every major supermarket will deliver straight to your doorstep.
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you go. I grew up in a small, midwestern American town, surrounded by farms and Amish country, so fresh food was pretty easy to come by. There are, however, in some places what are known as "food deserts" where nutritious food is incredibly hard to get hold of, especially if you don't own a car.

I think it's easier to get nutritious food in the UK because the country is smaller, so you don't have to travel as far to get to supermarkets, farm shops, etc. Also, grocery delivery isn't really a thing in America, whereas in the UK, every major supermarket will deliver straight to your doorstep.

Based on info from a friend of mine in the UK they also have better food law requirements than we do. For example, I believe GMO's have to be labeled there.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    In my part of the US we have an abundance of food(PA); I just visited Colorado and they suffer the same fate, abundance of food. When I've visited (NY) I've little difficulty finding an abundance of options.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    OP, you must be shopping at nothing but convenience stores, particularly if you are in Manhattan as there is an abundance of fresh produce available there, and frankly, throughout the US. I think you win the Internet today.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is exactly like Britain here. Not a speck of difference.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Gas stations are not a place to get fresh food here because it is for road trip snacks. I have no problem getting raw ingredients from food stores and my friends in NY don't either (they have a local place with in a block walk that is only fresh foods in queens). It is not out of the way for us. It is what we are use to.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    no idea about the USA but here in the uk supermarkets are the mainstay of food shopping and they do sell plenty of fresh meat/fish/veg/fruit. Small veg shops and butcher do exist too though they have been squeezed out to a certain extent by the larger supermarkets. Most towns and cities are close enough to several large supermarkets.

Things like Farmers' Markets do exist too but these tend to be over priced and seen as speciality rather than core shopping.

If you live in the rural veg growing areas, like Norfolk, you can also buy plenty of cheap veg direct from the farmer but that does not stand for the whole country of course.

Basically it is fairly easy to eat well unless you live on a very limited budget in poor inner city areas where you are unlikely to find supermarkets and the cost of transport all adds challenges to those wanting to shop well. Having said that inner city areas are more likely to have small veg shops selling ethnic culture traditional fruits and vegs at a cheaper price so not all doom and gloom
  • Velum_cado
    Options

Things like Farmers' Markets do exist too but these tend to be over priced and seen as speciality rather than core shopping.

I don't think farmers' markets are overpriced, I just think people have become used to the lower prices that come with things like factory farming which is the kind of things you generally find at supermarkets. At a farmers' market, you're paying fair prices for quality, fresh food. Supermarkets don't tend to provide that. Like with the milk prices thing - farmers were/are actually losing money selling milk to supermarkets because the supermarkets are trying to offer lower and lower prices and therefore aren't paying the farmers what the milk is worth.
  • Velum_cado
    Options

Based on info from a friend of mine in the UK they also have better food law requirements than we do. For example, I believe GMO's have to be labeled there.

Yep, that too. I've lived in the UK for nearly 6 years, but if I still lived in the US I think my shopping habits would be very different to what they are now.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    :huh:

There are certainly are food deserts in the US (places where you need an automobile to have access to fresh meat/produce) -- but for the most part, that is not at all the case. I live in a very rural section of PA - so I have drive nearly 10 miles to a full grocer. But it's completely stocked with whatever tickles my fancy. And if it doesn't have it, Walmart probably does. Even so, I have access to a butcher who sources local meat suppliers and keeps a reasonable produce case.

Larger chain gas stations usually don't carry full selections of produce, but most have bananas/apples

And I don't know where everyone else is buying produce, but there ARE labels on mine, you just have to know how to read them. Produce with a 4 digit PLU number -- that means the item is conventionally grown. A 5 digit number that starts with 9 means it was organically grown. A 5 digit number that starts with an 8 means GMO.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have read posts by US posters describing how they have access to only one supermarket and that only sells frozen or tinned food. I found that really strange, not even one or two locally grown vegetables or fruits.

In my experience, even the smallest corner shops in the UK sell fresh fruit and veg, even in the middle of London. Then of course you have the well-stocked, high street Tesco Metros, M&S Food etc.
  • kpbtm
    kpbtm Posts: 34
    Options
    OP, you must be shopping at nothing but convenience stores, particularly if you are in Manhattan as there is an abundance of fresh produce available there, and frankly, throughout the US. I think you win the Internet today.

I've spent more time in upstate New York and Brooklyn than Manhattan. I've also spent a lot of time in Alaska (no, seriously). I honestly can't remember the specifics of where I shopped, but I remember having to take the car and drive to find anywhere that sold fresh produce. Anywhere I've lived in the UK, there's usually a small-to-mid-size supermarket within walking distance (Tesco Metro/Express, Sainsbury's Local, M&S, Little Waitrose, etc.). They are squeezing out the old corner shop/post offices, but have a far greater range of fresh food, so I'm not sorry.

How do I win the internet?
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    I have read posts by US posters describing how they have access to only one supermarket and that only sells frozen or tinned food. I found that really strange, not even one or two locally grown vegetables or fruits.

In my experience, even the smallest corner shops in the UK sell fresh fruit and veg, even in the middle of London. Then of course you have the well-stocked, high street Tesco Metros, M&S Food etc.

Ok, I admit it, there's no fresh food in the US. It's because we have no farmland or farmers. It's all urban jungle over here.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I've spent more time in upstate New York and Brooklyn than Manhattan. I've also spent a lot of time in Alaska (no, seriously). I honestly can't remember the specifics of where I shopped, but I remember having to take the car and drive to find anywhere that sold fresh produce. Anywhere I've lived in the UK, there's usually a small-to-mid-size supermarket within walking distance (Tesco Metro/Express, Sainsbury's Local, M&S, Little Waitrose, etc.). They are squeezing out the old corner shop/post offices, but have a far greater range of fresh food, so I'm not sorry.

How do I win the internet?

It sounds like you're not accustomed to driving. We tend to have larger grocery stores rather than having one on every street corner as we drive more. It's hard not to drive when the country is as big as it is. It's similar to Oz in that respect. If you were in Manhattan or some of the neighborhoods in the boroughs closer to Manhattan you would see more neighborhood grocery stores. Alaska is still very sparsely populated and has a short growing season. It's strange to use it as an example of what's available in the US generally. Have you never been to a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc.? Even Walmart carries a large selection of produce.

ETA: I live in a relatively small city (less than 1/2 million population) and within a very short drive we have 2 Walmarts with full groceries, a Publix, an Aldi, 2 farmers markets, and a Trader Joe's. That's not even to mention the Asian and South American specialty markets.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Our food (US) sucks. Most produce is produced with GMO's, which aren't labeled. Thankfully where I live there are a few family owned farms that sell meat and produce that is fresh and not grown/fed with chemicals.

woman_screaming.gif
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've spent more time in upstate New York and Brooklyn than Manhattan. I've also spent a lot of time in Alaska (no, seriously). I honestly can't remember the specifics of where I shopped, but I remember having to take the car and drive to find anywhere that sold fresh produce. Anywhere I've lived in the UK, there's usually a small-to-mid-size supermarket within walking distance (Tesco Metro/Express, Sainsbury's Local, M&S, Little Waitrose, etc.).
    With upstate New York, yes, you're going to need to drive to get fresh produce. We just don't have the same city structures or even village structures as older established European cities and villages. Most general stores in the rural areas are out of business. Here in upstate New York, I have to drive. My challenge is to find a supermarket whose produce is *fresh* so that means asking what day they get their deliveries and so forth. When I lived in D.C., it was quite easy to walk to a supermarket and find a well-stocked produce section.