How do you make sure you over-do exercise?

Options
I started dieting and exercising on Monday. I've done a fair bit of cycling so far and I've rediscovered a lost love of it! This morning my son and I went to the park and cycled for about an hour and a half. I feel great! I want to go back out and do some more but I'm a bit worried I may over-do it a bit. Bear in mind before Monday the most exercise I was doing was shopping and housework. Also I don't want to be aching tomorrow so much I don't want to do anything. Any advice on doing as much as possible but not feeling bad tomorrow? Also, should I be eating back the calories I've burned or can I just stick with my daily 1,200? Thanks in advance.

Just realized the title should be How do you make sure you don't over-do exercise!

Replies

• oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Its different for everyone. Trust Your body, it will tell you when enough is enough. Were you riding at a leisurely pace or were you pumping like crazy with an elevated heart rate for an extended period of time? If the former, its kind of impossible to overdo.

Everybody is different, you really just have to let your body tell you. And remember to stay hydrated, especially in the summer.
  • Guffaw1984
    Options
    It was somewhat in between. My son and I would race now and then but for the most part it was quite leisurely. Enough to sweat but not so I was too out of breath. Thanks for the response :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You would probably be okay, but why not just plan to go tomorrow instead. I think it's better to ramp up gradually instead burning yourself out and making it less likely you will continue.

If you know how many miles you did you can estimate burn. You could also just increase your activity level if you start doing it regularly.
  • Guffaw1984
    Options
    I agree. Now I've had a couple of hours to calm down I think I'll do it tomorrow instead. I don't feel I would over-do it today but I think it's better to build it up gradually. Thanks.