Honest opinions...is walking wimpy?

Options
2»

Replies

• verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Well, I am not by any means a fitness guru, but my question is why do you care?

What in your head thinks it's more important to do something that's not "wimpy" than to do what you can handle while pregnant?
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Well, I am not by any means a fitness guru, but my question is why do you care?

What in your head thinks it's more important to do something that's not "wimpy" than to do what you can handle while pregnant?

She's 36 weeks pregnant in August. That's what's "in her head." Be nice to the pregnant woman.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You're 36 wks preg! Girl, the fact that you're moving at all is awesome!

This. When I was 36 weeks I was pretty much a vegetable! Walking is great!

^^ Walking is a wonderful exercise compared to doing nothing. Walk anyways, do the kettle bell workout if you feel that you can or want to, no need to force it at this point, that growing baby is about to be a great workout! :)
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should be deadlifting 400lb.

I wish! I miss my HIIT *so* much.
  • MaintainCats
    Options
    well you're probably walking some 20 pounds heavier, plus you'll be pushing a stroller *very* soon. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: It's not wimpy.Throw in some serious hills (after the baby's born).

I am, in fact, about 20 pounds heavier now than I was before this creature took over my body for it's own use. Still better than 40 pounds heavier I was with both of the other two...

You're on #3 and still going? Good Lord, by #3 I was sneaking off to nap during my lunch break. Keep walking, that's awesome!

Yep, kid 3. Luckily the other two are big enough that I can leave them to their own devices long enough to exercise.
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    At 36 weeks, walking is not wimpy.

At that point I had so many Braxton-Hicks contractions going on that a walk took some serious effort. The contractions were so strong I'd have to stop and just keep myself upright until the contraction passed.

Listen to your pregnant body. And good luck with your new little one!

Same! I walked a lot at 36 weeks (gave up running at around 4 months into pregnancy) and had so many B-H contractions I thought I would have the baby under a bush.

Certainly not wimpy at this time in your life.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Walk 7 miles a day, 6 days a week. Between 4.0-4.5 MPH. :bigsmile:
  • MaintainCats
    Options

I wish I could walk that fast! I go along like a herd of turtles around 3/3.2 mph.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I wish I could walk that fast! I go along like a herd of turtles around 3/3.2 mph.

I was told that if you do a lot of walking your labor goes quickly. I walked with both my boys and had them less then 2 hours. I was glad, I had back labor!! :frown:

Good luck with your pregnancy!! :flowerforyou:
  • KatieSvelte
    Options
    I think at 36 weeks pregnant doing any kind of physical excersise is awesome. lol. well, I guess thats why I gained so much with my last pregnancy. But I thing its great that you are staying in shape. I wish I had....
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good for you for still being active ! I love walking. It allows me to soak it all in as oppose to drowning it all out. I take my dog with me, and it's great bonding time.
  • MaintainCats
    Options
    Good for you for still being active ! I love walking. It allows me to soak it all in as oppose to drowning it all out. I take my dog with me, and it's great bonding time.

I cheat and watch Netflix while I walk because I can't trust my bladder to be too far away from my house *cry*
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options

I cheat and watch Netflix while I walk because I can't trust my bladder to be too far away from my house *cry*
    Oh, my heart goes out to you! I don't think I have one single good thing to say about the last month of pregnancy. Not one. Those last weeks feel like they'll never end.

I kept the walking up because it was at least something like a distraction from my unbelievable terrible end-of-pregnancy moods!
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I started this whole thing with 10K steps a day. My avg now is 16,347. (per Pacer which is how I track it). I also do gym and of course counting. Not one person has pulled over and said: Hey, wimpy walker... That would be interesting :D
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I am currently 36 weeks pregnant.

Before pregnancy I did HIIT 5-6 days a week...then I got pregnant and couldn't keep up so I have been doing 2 days of walking (only able to manage 1.5 miles at a time now) and 3 days of kettlebell training (Zuzka's DVDs).

I find, however, that as time goes on walking becomes more and more appealing vs kettlebell. So, I ask, is walking wimpy? Is it even worth it? I feel sort of like a total wuss if I only do walking but even just thinking about doing a kettlebell workout is exhausting...

Firstly, you're growing a new human being - cut yourself some slack. I would be knackered too.

Secondly, walking is a fine exercise, great form of transport and a nice way to interact with the world around you. Why would that be considered wimpy?
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Look at my Ticker, most of that was lost just by walking.

Walking increases heart rate and has a ton of other great effects on the body. So no, it is not whimpy at all. Any movement is good movement.
  • becomingittybittyme
    becomingittybittyme Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Walking isn't wimpy at all! (and if it was, I'd be quite the wimp haha)
    Weak ankles run in my family. Even my brother who has done plenty of running and such in the past has had issues with his ankles. Because of this, I'm a bit wary of doing some exercises so I typically stick to walking daily and doing yoga. It's not too strenuous and I can do it for a long time before getting tired. I love walking and I still lose weight doing so. (: