5/2 approach?

Options
Hi,

Are there any particular benefits or disadvantages to a 5 days on, 2 days off diet?

I find my resolve isn't made of iron, and I get frustrated with diets if I can't eat the foods I like. The most effective weight loss I had in the last ten years was following a fairly sensible diet 5 days a week (porridge for breakfast, something vegetarian for lunch, small dinner with a decent amount of protein in it), and giving myself the weekend off. That way I knew that if I wanted bacon and eggs for breakfast, I'd have them, eat popcorn at the cinema, enjoy a beer or three with my mates, and have the odd brownie. I supplemented this with three or four good gym sessions a week following 30-40 minutes of cardio with a strength program.

I aim to do the same this time round, going under my calorie limit for 5 days and allowing myself what I like on the last two days, so the weekly average is still below target - any thoughts, advice, criticism or pointers?

Replies

• Kel1677
    Kel1677 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2 . I eat around 1500-1700 cals 5 days a week and fast 2 days a week no more than 500 cals a day for 2 non consecutive days ( 500 for girls, 600 for guys). I find it easier to diet 2 days a week than everyday
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2 . I eat around 1500-1700 cals 5 days a week and fast 2 days a week no more than 500 cals a day for 2 non consecutive days ( 500 for girls, 600 for guys). I find it easier to diet 2 days a week than everyday

+1
  • kpbtm
    kpbtm Posts: 34
    Options
    Sounds as though your approach is the inverse of mine, but the same idea. I just find it easier to avoid temptations during the week if I know I can eat what I like at the weekend.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    In theory this could lead to an overall deficit. But I 100% recommend logging and tracking everything you eat. Even on your days 'off.' The reason is this: you will have no idea if you're in a caloric deficit in average if you don't know how many calories you're eating on the weekend. I don't know about you, but for weightloss, I personally need to stick to about 3000 calories of deficit each week. I can easily eat 3000 in one meal (including beer) if I don't pay attention to what I'm eating.

Just track as best you can on the weekend, is my suggestion.
  • kpbtm
    kpbtm Posts: 34
    Options
    I still track at the weekend - otherwise I wouldn't know whether my average weekly intake was on track. I just don't worry about going over for two days.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Well, then it can still lead to loss, if you're at an overall deficit for the week.

HOWEVER at least in MY EXPERIENCE, even though you're 100% positive you're in a deficit, an eating plan like yours will lead to unpredictable ups and downs on the scale. Always downwards over the long term. But in the short term -- and maybe this is just for women, I dunno -- you can easily gain 5-6 lbs according to scale over a two day period of "not worrying about if I go over my calories." From water retention and such. Just FYI.