Not sure what to do.

Options
My father just came back from a grocery shop with food for tonight. Before I started dieting we would have 'family nights in' whereby we watched films and ate snacks. He mentioned he wanted to make a pie (and kindly bought all 'less fat, less calorie' ingredients) and I was reluctant to wanting to eat it, but having added it to my MFP diary, it fits into my daily allowance with 1% under on fat, protein and 2% over on carbs - and also leaving me 182 calories under my RDA.

For 'afters' to watch movies with, he bought me a large bag of Skittles. Now, I haven't eaten Skittles in WELL over 4 months - and I'm not kidding I was ADDICTED to them. They were all I ever used to eat and I much preferred them over chocolate. When he told me I thought he was joking, especially since I told him this morning I've lost another 2lbs, and I (admittedly) shouted at him saying it was insensitive. Now that I know they were INTENDED for me, and that they're in my cupboards I have no idea what to do. This is what caused me to crash and burn last year when he bought a pack of cookies for me and I thought I would treat myself to 1....which turned into the whole pack.

It's easy to say 'just don't eat them' but I used to eat them ALL the time and they're the one thing I miss having the most, but I know they're really unhealthy..should I just throw them away? I haven't eaten candy in 4 months.

Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you don't trust yourself I'd say throw them away. You don't want to ruin all the good work you've done. Kudos for getting off the sweets!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    seriously. if you're the only one who eats them, throw them away. Calmly, and sincerely thank your dad for thinking of you, since buying you treats you like is one way people show they care, then throw them out when he's not looking.

Also, maybe ask your dad to give you a portion of the grocery budget so you can buy your own foods. And then just eat your own foods.
  • alicemrichards
    alicemrichards Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This might seem like a ridiculous thing to do, but why don't you weight out small amounts of the skittles into portions and put them in sandwich bags (or something similar) so that if you're tempted you can eat the allotted amount, know the calorific value and treat yourself without knowing you haven't gone overboard.

I find that when something is in a pack it's easy just to say "I'll finish the pack" so in making the "pack" smaller it will mean you can do this without going over your calories or feeling guilty.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    This might seem like a ridiculous thing to do, but why don't you weight out small amounts of the skittles into portions and put them in sandwich bags (or something similar) so that if you're tempted you can eat the allotted amount, know the calorific value and treat yourself without knowing you haven't gone overboard.

I find that when something is in a pack it's easy just to say "I'll finish the pack" so in making the "pack" smaller it will mean you can do this without going over your calories or feeling guilty.

^^^ this I do it with trail mix or buy the snack packs of m&ms not that I've been eating them lately.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My downfall is M&Ms. So I actually COUNT OUT a portion (between 15 and 50, depending on what my calories and macros are for the day) and then put the rest AWAY.

This has worked well for me, knowing I don't HAVE to give up a favorite fun food. And just knowing they are there, I can actually ignore them for a week or two at a time now.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Eat a little. Restricting something completely makes a lot of people end up binging. It isn't about cutting things out, barring medical conditions. It's learning when enough is enough.
  • jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    Options
    If you don't trust yourself I'd say throw them away. You don't want to ruin all the good work you've done. Kudos for getting off the sweets!

It's not that I don't trust myself, because I feel I have better self control now. I think the *most* unhealthiest thing I ate was a ice-cream sundae with toffee, brownie and syrup. I couldn't even finish it and it didn't taste as good as I thought....but it didn't crash my diet...I just moved on.

But these sweets are my all time favorite, and knowing I have a bag of them calling my name from the cupboards is an awful feeling.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options

....but it didn't crash my diet...I just moved on.

This is what success will be for you, in a nutshell. Just keep going, no matter what "slip-ups" happen. You've already proven you can do that.

:-)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yikes! A teenager yelling at poor ol dad. :cry: Well he might have kind of deserved it, but still, tis brutal

So I'm guessing it's his house and he can buy **** if he wants. I would try to talk with him and let him know that you no longer have room in your diet for massive quantities of skittles, perhaps a smaller bag? Or maybe you two could sit together and brainstorm options that won't burn down the calorie bank. As for the actual bag, I would be inclined to throw it away or maybe give it away to some friends/relatives. Or have him keep it in his room or something if he wants to eat it. So Long as he doesn't pull a "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO MY FOOD!!" I'm guessing you should be fine!
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options

This. Or give it to a friend/relative. Throwing away food is a terrible habit.
  • jjdiggy
    Options

I have actually done this in the past, though not when dieting. I have a thing for (as you stated) 'finishing the pack' so I thought I'd limit myself. I had a bag of Reese's Pieces' and I would weigh a portion out at a time....though I ended up having like 4 30g portions in one night because I felt it wasn't 'enough'. I think now, though, I may have much more self control; considering this is the most weight lost (and lightest I've ever been) in 3 years.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

This. Or give it to a friend/relative. Throwing away food is a terrible habit.

Says you

Throwing away food has been one of my biggest diet aids
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    My downfall is M&Ms. So I actually COUNT OUT a portion (between 15 and 50, depending on what my calories and macros are for the day) and then put the rest AWAY.

This has worked well for me, knowing I don't HAVE to give up a favorite fun food. And just knowing they are there, I can actually ignore them for a week or two at a time now.

Dang I miss my M&Ms, especially PB and crispy. Maybe I should use the will power I have and just portion them out and *as a treat* eat 1 weighed portion when I feel I deserve it.

Then again, I'll end up feeling extremely guilty if I did.

Gah, I'm SO torn.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Dang I miss my M&Ms, especially PB and crispy. Maybe I should use the will power I have and just portion them out and *as a treat* eat 1 weighed portion when I feel I deserve it.

Gah, I'm SO torn.

That's a problem. You should not feel guilt for eating anything. You are very young, do you REALLY think you can get through life NEVER eating treats? That's not only unnecessary for weight loss, it's no way to live. You said you're going to end up 180-ish under calories, you should be able to weight out 180 calories of Skittles and eat them with pleasure.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Eat a little. Restricting something completely makes a lot of people end up binging. It isn't about cutting things out, barring medical conditions. It's learning when enough is enough.

I completely agree that this is the sane and rational thing to do - however as someone who has REPEATEDLY eaten all the crisps that I bought for the kids because once I have one bag I go back and have the other five I would say If you CANNOT stop at a little bit get them out of the house OR

I did this with my birthday chocolate (I was given A LOT) i PUT IT UNDER MY BED it genuinely worked in a case of out of sight out of mind - I did eat it in chunks as once a big bar is on the go it's hard to put down but there is STILL some left and it was 2 months ago! Perhaps your Dad would hide portions where you have to ask to get some??
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Skittles are not "food." They are junk. Throw them away or give them away.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Are you of legal drinking age in your country?

Use the skittles to make these, and then give them away to your friends.
    http://mixthatdrink.com/skittles-vodka-tutorial/
  • jjdiggy
    Options

Gah, I'm SO torn.

That's a problem. You should not feel guilt for eating anything. You are very young, do you REALLY think you can get through life NEVER eating treats? That's not only unnecessary for weight loss, it's no way to live. You said you're going to end up 180-ish under calories, you should be able to weight out 180 calories of Skittles and eat them with pleasure.

I guess. I actually ended up eating less of my meal so it gives me a good 347 calories left. Not to say I have to eat that much now, but we'll see.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    There are snack size baggies. I'd seperate the whole bag and allow one a day. If I could. If its a binge trigger for you (oreos and nutella are for me so I do not keep them in the house ever,but I have a binge eating disorder) I'd say get rid of them. But if you can,allow a reasonable premeasured portion.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Gah, I'm SO torn.

^^^ This. Feeling guilty about eating sweets or other types of food (labeling food "good" or "bad") is disordered thinking and it's what lead to failure after failure in the past (for me). This time around I'm not restricting anything, just making sure it fits in my daily intake goal. I have ice cream or some other dessert every single day and it hasn't hurt my progress even a little bit. I've taken the weight off, done a successful bulk, and maintained (all over the past 2 years). First time in my life I've been able to do anything even remotely like that - control my weight (and in different ways!). You have to start building a new relationship with food, bud. It's not the enemy.