Problem weight loss

Options
Hello Everyone

This is hard for me to write, I have contemplated doing this quite a few times but now I am adamant to write this, well back before Christmas my Dad died, it hit me like thunder, I have never gotten over it, the day he died was the worst day of my life, we were closer than anything, I cry myself to sleep every night even after all this time, the next worst day of my life was his funeral, after he died I didn't eat well for two/three weeks, I lost over 10lbs in less than a week, and my weight continued to plummet, I went from 53kg to 48kg and about two months later my eating returned to about 1200 calories, I maintained/lost little on that for some reason, in April time I started to 'binge' I would go into the cupboard and eat anything, even if I didn't want it I would eat it. I went from 50kg to 59kg in less than three months, eating around 4000 calories a day, not all those months was binging sometimes it happened once/twice a week but since then from June time I lost 7kg, another couple to go before I am happy, has this ever happened to anyone else? I have never ever binged in my life, after struggling with anorexia as a teenager I was afraid to eat a lot, before my Dad died I would eat 2000 calories a day, religiously exercise and look after my body, I never let myself down, but a few months after his death I did, what would cause that?

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Grief and stress make us all do strange things. That being said maybe see a therapist to find out what triggers you cause the up and down doesn't sound healthy at all.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I suggest maybe talking to a counselor of some kind. I suffered a loss more than 6 years ago. And it can still be a struggle every day. It sounds like maybe you need to explore other coping skills besides punishing your body with inappropriate levels of food (too high or too low).

Aunt WBB says: dad would be proud of you if you learned how to cope with stress, grief and loss in healthy ways. Yes, grief is a thing we all go thru. And how you cope is up to you, and it isn't necessarily "bad." But do your father proud. Learn to cope without resorting to punishing yourself thru food. Other coping mechanisms are talking to friends/family, moderate exercise, doing something you enjoy, meditation, yoga, donating your time to others... and oh so many others.
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    Thank you both for this and thank Aunt WBB for me also, this means a whole lot to me really, thank you again and God Bless you x
  • corksterfl87
    corksterfl87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I can deffintley relate to this. My Dad passed a year ago and It was a shock to everyone! I stopped eating myself for a couple weeks. Once that passed I ate everything In sight gaining easily 20 pounds. I started going to grief share and that really helped me phsycally and mentally. That's when I could stop my problem and focus on being healthy again like my dad would want!! If you need any advice please message me.