Foot Pain/Shin Splints

Options
I do OK for about the first mile of my walks, but then the shin splints start and the middle toes on my left foot start to cramp/go numb. I'm thinking it may be footwear related. I have a pair of Nike Reax, but I have a feeling they are not nearly supportive enough for my goals. I'd like to be able to finish a 5k and eventually start jogging/running.

I am seeing a physical therapist for my ankle Monday morning and will be asking about it from a physical standpoint then, but if he recommends new footwear, what brands are the best?

Replies

• Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do you have a runner's store nearby?

I just bought Asics and am a huge fan. I'm not a fan of Nike's, in all of my life I've had one good pair of Nike's and I spent a lot of money on that pair.
  • ScorpDX
    ScorpDX Posts: 93
    Options
    I bought some Dr Scholl's active series insoles. They made a night and day improvement in my foot pain while walking/jogging. I'm now going several miles further without pain. They do kind of wear out over a couple months so I'm on my second set but at $15 they're great!
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yup! I love my Asics!!! Totally suggest a running store to find the best fit for you. They'll analyse your gait and get ya fitted!

Ouote]

I just bought Asics and am a huge fan. I'm not a fan of Nike's, in all of my life I've had one good pair of Nike's and I spent a lot of money on that pair.
    [/quote]
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Check out
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/?sc=CX14N111&cm_mmc=psearch-_-google-_-Brand Terms-_-rrs101-VIPTEST2Brand&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Psearch&utm_term=raod+runner+sports&utm_content=Road+Runner+Brand+Terms

They have great online fitting tools and great return policy. You can use the tools and then go check out the suggestions at your local sport store or order online.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options

I have a friend that works at a nearby Hibbett's and she's offered to fit me for a pair of Brooks, but they're a little bit out of my price range (read "my husband will kill me if I spend $150+ on a pair of shoes right now, lol).
  • chrissyrenee1029
    Options
    Check out
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/?sc=CX14N111&cm_mmc=psearch-_-google-_-Brand Terms-_-rrs101-VIPTEST2Brand&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Psearch&utm_term=raod+runner+sports&utm_content=Road+Runner+Brand+Terms

They have great online fitting tools and great return policy. You can use the tools and then go check out the suggestions at your local sport store or order online.

Thanks! I will definitely be checking this out!
  • chrissyrenee1029
    Options
    I bought some Dr Scholl's active series insoles. They made a night and day improvement in my foot pain while walking/jogging. I'm now going several miles further without pain. They do kind of wear out over a couple months so I'm on my second set but at $15 they're great!

This is a great idea...definitely a cost effective short term solution!
  • SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My advice.

Don't get locked into a particular brand. Even if there's a brand that a lot of people recommend, they have many different models for different types of feet and some might work for you but others won't so it's not as simple as picking just any pair of Asics or Brooks.

Don't buy online. You don't know how those shoes are going to fit. Yeah, you can return them, but it's a lot easier to just try a bunch of shoes in a store and pick the ones that feel the best. And if you go the online route, you don't have anybody watching you run in them. You might find a pair that feel comfortable but don't correct your overpronation which might lead to injury down the road.

Don't go to a generic shoe or sporting goods store. Those people sell all kinds of shoes and most likely aren't knowledgeable enough to know and look for what a runner really needs.

Find a running specialty store. If you're in a small town, you might have to make a trip to a bigger city but it's worth it. They will watch you run and analyze your gait and foot strike and help you find shoes that compliment your feet and correct your form so as to minimize the risk of injury. It's very important to buy the right shoes and to have someone who really knows running and running shoes to help you. They also typically have very good return policies. The one I go to gives you 30 days to return or exchange them.
  • desidieter
    desidieter Posts: 195
    Options
    My advice.

Don't get locked into a particular brand. Even if there's a brand that a lot of people recommend, they have many different models for different types of feet and some might work for you but others won't so it's not as simple as picking just any pair of Asics or Brooks.

Don't buy online. You don't know how those shoes are going to fit. Yeah, you can return them, but it's a lot easier to just try a bunch of shoes in a store and pick the ones that feel the best. And if you go the online route, you don't have anybody watching you run in them. You might find a pair that feel comfortable but don't correct your overpronation which might lead to injury down the road.

Don't go to a generic shoe or sporting goods store. Those people sell all kinds of shoes and most likely aren't knowledgeable enough to know and look for what a runner really needs.

Find a running specialty store. If you're in a small town, you might have to make a trip to a bigger city but it's worth it. They will watch you run and analyze your gait and foot strike and help you find shoes that compliment your feet and correct your form so as to minimize the risk of injury. It's very important to buy the right shoes and to have someone who really knows running and running shoes to help you. They also typically have very good return policies. The one I go to gives you 30 days to return or exchange them.

I agree with all of this. I personally love my Brooks, but I know they're not for everyone. And I know some people who swear by their Nikes, but I always had terrible luck with Nikes - even if I spent a lot of money on them. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean more comfort. It's about finding a shoe that fits your foot best.