Repeated weigh-ins show different readings

Options
Long time lurker, first time poster. Hi everyone :)

Has anyone else experienced differences in scale readings that are within a few minutes of each other? I did this morning - weighed myself twice within a couple of minutes and the second time it had dropped 0.8 lb (360g). I weighed myself a couple more times and it was at the lower level for each one. I'm about 170.6 lb (77.4 kg), going by the second reading.

This isn't really a big deal, but I was surprised since I didn't do anything between the readings (no pooping or peeing) so there theoretically shouldn't be a difference.

Is it a symptom of a cheap scale? The way you stand on the scale? Aliens?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Could be a bad scale, or batteries are getting low.
  • cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Could be a bad scale, or batteries are getting low.
    +1
    Last week I dropped 6 pounds. It stayed that weight even after stepping off and back on.
    It went back to my normal weight the next day.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me. I bought a new scale. Problem solved.
  • soltris
    soltris Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. How you stand on a scale can definitely matter, and I try to be as consistent as I can but even then there's some margin of error. On top of that, some scales will cheat a little to look more reliable!

My example: When I step on my scale I might see 295.4, and if I do something else that wouldn't change my weight (like brush my teeth) and come back a minute later, I'll see the scale hover plus or minus one pound of the original reading, then snap back to 295.4 suddenly before it starts flashing its 'final' weight. It only does this when the reading is fairly recent (~10 minutes) and within a pound or so; if there's a 2-pound difference in readings it'll just give the new reading instead. Sneaky!
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You need a scale the shows you the same number if you get on and off in immediate succession. I use the Eat Smart Precision Scale which is affordable and very accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Eatsmart-Precision-Bathroom-Technology-440-Pounds/dp/B0032TNPOE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1406321585&sr=1-2&keywords=EatSmart+Precision+Digital+Bathroom+Scale

The Wirecutter did a review of bathroom scales. They recommend the Eat Smart but they also suggest other options if you have any special needs.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-bathroom-scales/
  • SaberEsPoder
    SaberEsPoder Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sometimes scale weight can even reflect different numbers in different spots of the same room!!! I always put it in the exact same spot on the floor :)
  • Rese5ft10in
    Rese5ft10in Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I own a doctors scale (the kind with the weights you slide). No batteries, no fuss, no muss. I find it very accurate.
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You need a scale the shows you the same number if you get on and off in immediate succession. I use the Eat Smart Precision Scale which is affordable and very accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Eatsmart-Precision-Bathroom-Technology-440-Pounds/dp/B0032TNPOE/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1406321585&sr=1-2&keywords=EatSmart+Precision+Digital+Bathroom+Scale

The Wirecutter did a review of bathroom scales. They recommend the Eat Smart but they also suggest other options if you have any special needs.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-bathroom-scales/

Helpful! Thanks!
  • cturner002
    Options
    Could be you are not on a level floor. If you look at the bottom of your scale, most of the newer ones have 4 little feet. Especially on a tile floor, where there are minor imperfections in levelness (is that a word?) Move the scale around and kind of rock it back and forth to insure all 4 feet are in solid contact with the floor. I use the Trim Scale model and it has always been accurate for me as long as the floor is level. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAD7GO/
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself up to 3 times - sometimes the first and second are the same weight, sometimes they aren't but the third always matches one of the other two so then I use the number that came up twice. Sounds weird but that's on my somewhat finicky Fitbit Aria, so there's that.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if it's an electronic scale and it's been moved at all, you need to calibrate it by standing on it till it turns off (and ignoring that weight), then weighing yourself again. don't move it at all. then weigh yourself and it will be calibrated.

otherwise it's time for a new scale.
  • CVC422
    CVC422 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honestly...im not sure what #s to actually trust..I weighed myself maybe 3 days ago and was 139.8 lbs....then weighed myself tonight and was 134.4lbs and then weighed myself again in a few minutes and it was 142.6 lbs and then did it again in another few minutes and it was 142.8 lbs...then again in another few minutes and it was 138.3....so I really am not entirely sure which weight to trust. Mind you it's a digital scale, which I used on the same tile floor each time,.while I was naked (sorry for the TMI), and within several days or a few minutes of each weigh in...can anyone provide any insight as far as accurate weighing in is concerned? I was supposed to take my starting weight, pictures and measurements for MFP at the beginning of this week and now this really messed me up due to the inaccuracy of my Scale? Does anyone have any suggestions as far as types of scales to buy? Or measures to take prior to weighing myself? As it seems my scale is just really out of whack at this point. Any help or pointers are much appreciated! Thank you!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bad news with the scales that give you the same number when you step back on. The new ones are programmed to do that. It gives you the illusion of accuracy.

I think it is better to follow a trend line to better make up for our fickle bodies and inconsistent scales. Save the accuracy for weighing food.
  • mandrewes
    mandrewes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Scales report a far higher degree of accuracy than they actually are. Even if they reprt to 0.1kg or 0.1lb, they are NOT that accurate. At a 99.75% accuracy, (which is high) that is still +/- 0.25 kg on a 100kg that is on the "same" weight the higest reading will be 0.5 kg (about 1 pound) higher than the lowest and there are rounding errors etc. It does seem to be without much rhyme or reason! You just have to accept that you get some random errors which is frustrating when you want to know whether you have actually lost a pound! But take trends and averages.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Some scales do that. Others, like my new one, seem to have embedded memory that means even if you go drink or eliminate, the d-mned scale has "decided" what you are going to weigh that day no matter what you do.