33yo trying to make up for 5 years of office living

Hello.

I'm a 33 year old male, living in London, working in a pretty standard cube farm. I haven't been an athlete since my early twenties, and I'm under no illusions that I ever will be again, but I do want to shift the extra*extra* weight that has crept up on me since starting on my current sedentary career (I used to work in an industry that had me on my feet and active for 14-16 hours a day)

My stats are:

Height: 6'0" / 183cm
Weight:: c.125kg (although I'm waiting for my scales to arrive, so that's the upper end of a guesstimate - might be as low as 117kg, but I doubt it...).

I'm aiming to shift a few stone primarily to feel healthier, but also to feel more comfortable being active or in a gym environment, and to feel a bit more confident (although that's not really much of a problem for me). The usual, I suppose!

My biggest problem has never been that I can't shift weight, it's that I struggle to stay motivated once I start to see results - I get complacent. I don't know whether using the app or this site will help, or how, but it's worth a shot.

I have a target weight of 105kg, which would be about level with the lightest I've been since I was 25. By way of context, I was regularly running sub-60 minute 10k's when I weighed about 110kg a few years ago, so I know that at 105kg I would feel great.

I've set myself a gentle target of losing .5kg / 1lb per week for the immediate future, at least until I shift the first stone or so and feel energetic and mobile enough to start some gentle jogging. Maybe if things go well beyond that, when I'm nearing my target weight I'll start going back to the gym, but that's too far ahead to worry about.

A History of Weight (should you be interested):

I used to be a rugby player and martial artist. When I was 20 and in the shape of my life, I weighed 85kg, and people thought I looked gaunt - this was when I was doing 2-4 hours training a day, 4-6 days a week, and eating whatever the hell I wanted. When I wasn't training, my healthy weight seemed to be about 93-95kg as a young adult.

However, I went through a pretty cataclysmic depression, and in the space of about 18 months put on something like 25 or 30kg. I felt and looked completely bloated. It took a couple of years and some conscientious dieting to control it, and I managed to lose a couple of stone and keep my weight around 105-110kg for most of my twenties.

A career change 5 years ago, and a move to London, completely changed my lifestyle. My weight has been creeping up over the last few years, and while I have yet to confirm it with some scales, I suspect I am now the heaviest I have ever been.

Replies

• DelightfulGirl
    DelightfulGirl Posts: 14 Member
    My biggest problem has never been that I can't shift weight, it's that I struggle to stay motivated once I start to see results - I get complacent. I don't know whether using the app or this site will help, or how, but it's worth a shot.

I have the same problem!!! Once I get to the point where I see results, I am quick to revert to my old ways, thinking that I will miraculously be able to "maintain" my weight. So far the app is working well for me, because I get to see everyone else's progress and I feel more accountable too.

Best of success to you! If you need some motivational friends, please feel free to add me!
  • kpbtm
    kpbtm Posts: 34
    Thank you!
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Hi there, I'm not in London but several of my London friends have gotten fitbits and are tracking their walking and seeing results. Do you get competitive with yourself? They like to see if they can match/beat their previous day's results. They don't drive - it's all Tube, bus, walk, bike. I think they are watching what they eat a little more, but not tracking here.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    I'm new here too - good luck. You sound like your mind is made up, plus you are young, and you were fit previously. You can do it!
  • juzu5
    juzu5 Posts: 6 Member
    From Stoke here, I can relate to your struggle with consistency hence why I am here to. I am new to MFP, if we stick with it with it can be a catalyst for success.
    I have been reading peoples' profiles and some have a great idea of setting small goals, I will do this also and this tool may help you stay motivated and focused as each new goal is achieved.

Good luck bud, all feel free to add meto motivate each other, J
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Good luck and keep at it!, I'm 5'9 and aiming for 80kg.

I've lost a stone so far (6.3kg) and can definitely feel the difference.

You need to adjust for the long haul, it's not really a diet but a new way of living.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    I'm in the same boat as far as staying motivated. I have to say though...logging in here every day, adding friends, and staying active in the forums has really helped me keep it going! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • kpbtm
    Hi there, I'm not in London but several of my London friends have gotten fitbits and are tracking their walking and seeing results. Do you get competitive with yourself? They like to see if they can match/beat their previous day's results. They don't drive - it's all Tube, bus, walk, bike. I think they are watching what they eat a little more, but not tracking here.

Hi, I have a target of 10,000 steps a day, which I'm not hitting most days, but just getting out and doing some walking is a good start (usually around Kennington Park). I used to cycle to work, but since we changed offices a year ago the route is too dangerous for me to feel comfortable, and it's too far to walk/run every day. It's the tube for me!

Plan is to start by getting the diet under control, then when I'm comfortable with that, re-introducing regular moderate exercise.
  • kpbtm
    I'm new here too - good luck. You sound like your mind is made up, plus you are young, and you were fit previously. You can do it!

Thank you!
  • princesskjr
    princesskjr Posts: 16 Member
    Hi im from Weston super mare, I also work in an office and in May this year decided that a kick up the butt was needed and I havent looked back! Ive now lost 2 1/2 stone! This ap and my map my walk ap have been total life savers!! Good luck with your journey.
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Hey guys I am up in Birmingham. I started dieting on May 31st 2013 weighing 23½ stone (329lb or 150kg). I am currently 11 stone 9lb and my life has changed completely because of the loss. When I first started dieting I rejoined my gym to use the pool (I am suffering from congenital heart failure) and was told not to use the gym to lift anything. Anyhow I started out swimming literally a length then stopping to get my breathe and kept repeating. I set my self the task of swimming at least 50 lengths each visit and this could take me up to 2-2½ hours to complete. 15 months later and I am swimming 90 lengths non stop in 60 minutes. I do this 3-4 times a week. I joined slimming world and made the finals of the Slimming world man of the Year contest for the UK. I didn't win but it was a fantastic personal achievement for me. I have linked some pictures of my progress below, hopefully they may inspire you. Add me as a friend if you like and that goes for anybody. I logon everyday and share my food diary with my friends.

Best of luck with your progress.

A couple of christmases ago:

me222_zps245b0139.jpg

Last week:

20140722_095739_zpsbd2c6a46.jpg
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Excellent work, well done!.
  • atortella
    atortella Posts: 7 Member
    Sent friend requests to all of you I have been on here for quite sometime but I am always looking for more friends to help me with my lifestyle change - hope you will accept my invitation
  • oblair
    oblair Posts: 57 Member
    If you have trouble staying motivated use the scorn of other people as your motivator. Make friends on here and be honest about your experience. Hire a ripped personal trainer who is aware of your progress and will call you out on your bullsh1t. Or you could find a form of exercise that you love where weight loss is the byproduct not the primary goal. I'm also london, which bit are you?
  • kpbtm
    If you have trouble staying motivated use the scorn of other people as your motivator. Make friends on here and be honest about your experience. Hire a ripped personal trainer who is aware of your progress and will call you out on your bullsh1t. Or you could find a form of exercise that you love where weight loss is the byproduct not the primary goal. I'm also london, which bit are you?

Well, I'm in Kennington. But scorn, or referring to "my bull****" isn't going to win me over, neither is a "ripped" trainer going to motivate me. I'm not 12, and I have no interest in being "ripped".
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Hi, I have a target of 10,000 steps a day, which I'm not hitting most days, but just getting out and doing some walking is a good start (usually around Kennington Park). I used to cycle to work, but since we changed offices a year ago the route is too dangerous for me to feel comfortable, and it's too far to walk/run every day. It's the tube for me!

Plan is to start by getting the diet under control, then when I'm comfortable with that, re-introducing regular moderate exercise.
    Sounds like you have a solid plan!

I agree about the cycling, some of their cycling stories are terrifying.

All the best!
  • kpbtm
    Hi im from Weston super mare, I also work in an office and in May this year decided that a kick up the butt was needed and I havent looked back! Ive now lost 2 1/2 stone! This ap and my map my walk ap have been total life savers!! Good luck with your journey.

Thank you! And well done on making such progress in such a short space of time!
  • oblair
    You don't have to want to be ripped you just have to be a man of you word and tell your trainer who is motivated by exercise what you plan to do.
  • kpbtm
    You seem to be trying very hard to find a reason not to achieve your goal.

Oh, grow up.
  • oblair
    Grow up? I was trying to give you motivation and you were ****ting on it. I don't think there was anything infantile about my response.