Hair loss after weight loss??

Options
Hi,
Has anyone experienced hair loss after losing weight? I have lost about 49lbs since april doing Omni, which I have stopped because my freaking hair is falling out! I started taking Biotin about a week ago but its not helping so far.. Ive read its common to have temporary hair loss after rapid weight loss. I have super thick hair but have lost about 50% of its thickness the past few weeks. I am to the point of probably making a dr appointment next week.. any advice on supplements that might help?? TIA.

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I was looking up the omni diet and this is kind of scary:

Off-limits:

Dairy
    Grains (except for quinoa, buckwheat, and amaranth in small amounts) and gluten
    Sugar and simple carbohydrates
    Soy
    Corn
    Artificial sweeteners (except for stevia in small amounts)

Have you considered trying a less restrictive diet? Cutting calories is more than enough and I'm worried you might be lacking in certain vitamins. I'm sure this diet can be done right but it doesn't seem like a good starter diet. Might want to get your iron checked as well.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Get your blood checked. When I start losing hair, I know I'm getting severely anemic again.
  • MichelleMcWain
    MichelleMcWain Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did 2 rounds of Omni and have decided for myself I need to stop. I am pretty sure my body is malnourished. My skin is super dry, my hair is falling out... I know a few people that have had success with Omni but I cant handle these things. I was off of work this past week so pretty much failed at dieting but starting Monday I am going to start counting my calories and watching my fat and carb intake. I'm also going to try and start working out.. This hair loss is seriously freaking me out...
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The number one cause of hair loss when dieting is caused by lack of protein.
    Get a check up with your dentist too. Lack of protein can affect your gums as well.
  • MichelleMcWain
    Options
    I think I am definitely going to call the doctor on Monday.. I think I might have her check my thyroid too because that can cause hair loss.. I was trying to wait if it would stop but its been about 3 weeks and its still coming out like crazy.. scares me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well yeah... you lost weight quickly by severely restricting your calories for an extended period of time which means your body needed to use a lot of lean body mass... your organs are a part of your lean body mass... would you rather your body have continued feeding energy to your hair follicles or insure that your vital organs operated the way they should?
  • MichelleMcWain
    Options
    I guess I just never knew about hair loss from losing weight until it happened. I am just really hoping it stops soon. The more reading I do online the more I see how losing weight so quickly was bad. I know I need to lose a lot more but I am going to try and do it a more healthy way.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I think I am definitely going to call the doctor on Monday.. I think I might have her check my thyroid too because that can cause hair loss.. I was trying to wait if it would stop but its been about 3 weeks and its still coming out like crazy.. scares me.

I'm glad you realized this is a problem. You might want to get these things checked:

1) Iron
    2) Thyroid
    3) Vitamin D (unrelated but good to know)

as well as a standard CBC blood count for good measure.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein! I've heard it's common with people that lose a lot weight quickly.
  • MichelleMcWain
    Options
    Increase your protein! I've heard it's common with people that lose a lot weight quickly.

Thanks for the tip. I will do that
  • jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    Options
    I can relate.

I find that when I wash my hair, it malts a lot. Same goes for my eyebrows, eyelashes - constantly falling out and it's pretty scary considering I'm 18.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Yes
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Since it's required in the MPF TOS that it must be posted in every thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Anyways OP, I know this is probably very nerve wracking for you now, but the thread above really is very good for helping you set up a healthy weight loss plan without having to restrict yourself to the point of causing damage. Really, slower is better in this case.
  • MichelleMcWain
    Options
    Since it's required in the MPF TOS that it must be posted in every thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Anyways OP, I know this is probably very nerve wracking for you now, but the thread above really is very good for helping you set up a healthy weight loss plan without having to restrict yourself to the point of causing damage. Really, slower is better in this case.

Thanks!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    My daughter had an extreme weight loss and severe hair loss. Once she leveled out the hair loss stopped and has been getting thicker and longer. Read sexy pants. Its helpful.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has taken 3 years and my hair is considerably thinner than when I started. Luckily, I had super thick hair before. But I didn't really notice until probably 6 months ago that there was anything different. I'm not that observant, you see. >.<

Although I wasn't losing weight at a ridiculous pace, I don't think I've been getting enough protein. A couple months ago I began incorporating protein shakes to get more protein in. Hopefully it turns things around with my hair! :)
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The comments about possibly not getting enough protein, and getting your thyroid and iron (anemia) checked are all good. But weight loss, sometimes even if you're eating a balanced diet and doing it gradually as you should be, can cause hair loss. The only thing I would add is to use Nioxin products. I had to deal w/hypothyroidism, anemia, and hair loss after childbirth, but even after all that was taken care of, I was still losing hair by the handfuls. My doctor suggested it was stress related, which made my friends and family laugh because I'm so laid back. My hair stylist at the time recommended Nioxin products and within a week my hair loss stopped except for the few hairs that most people lose anyway. Unlike Rogaine which just grows peach fuzz, is expensive, and the hair falls out if you stop using it...Nioxin actually helps to keep the roots of your hair healthier and helps it to grow more, also have more volume. They recommend it a lot for people on chemo too. You can only get it at beauty salons. Find one near you at their website... www.nioxin.com

P. S. I have a new doctor now. ;-)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did 2 rounds of Omni and have decided for myself I need to stop. I am pretty sure my body is malnourished. My skin is super dry, my hair is falling out... I know a few people that have had success with Omni but I cant handle these things. I was off of work this past week so pretty much failed at dieting but starting Monday I am going to start counting my calories and watching my fat and carb intake. I'm also going to try and start working out.. This hair loss is seriously freaking me out...

Usually, there is either a nutritional deficiency or a hormone imbalance if excessive hair loss follows a diet. The fact that your skin is "super dry" suggests that your weight loss was done too quickly and that you have lowered your metabolism. Exercise and moderate reduction in food is a better plan than drastic calorie reduction. To avoid nutritional deficiencies, care should be taken to ensure adequate protein, vitamins and minerals. A visit to a nutritionist might be a good idea. Cutting out the empty calories of sugar and simple carbohydrates is a much better idea than to simply eat less of nutritionally-poor diet. A lot of people here will tell you that you can eat everything you ate formerly only less of it. If you go on a drastic calorie reduction while including empty calories will guarantee nutritional deficiencies--and that will guarantee hair loss and other less visible deterioration of bodily systems. Essential fatty acids are just that---essential. A minimum of 45 grams of fat per day are necessary to keep all systems in good shape.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You might feel better if you get your hair cut/restyled in a new way. You will be less bothered by the loss and ready to start a new way of seeing yourself.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    ^^^Another great idea.