Food availability in US vs. UK?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fresh produce is in good supply in my main supermarket, as well as the others I go to on occasion. What are you thinking of that you were unable to find? Edit: I live in a city and typically walk to the grocery store. There are also lots of farmers markets this time of year.

Of course, in, say, December how fresh it is is debateable, since it isn't remotely local, but why would that be different in the UK?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I have read posts by US posters describing how they have access to only one supermarket and that only sells frozen or tinned food. I found that really strange, not even one or two locally grown vegetables or fruits.

I find this bizarre too, and I live in the US. I don't believe a supermarket wouldn't have produce, period. Now, there are areas where access to supermarkets is limited for various reasons (in some poorer areas of my city, for example, although we also have pretty good public transportation), and people may have to rely too much on convenience stores. I know that's been an issue in my city and we've had a number of efforts lately that seem to be successfully expanding access, although I'm sure one can debate the merits and success and how optimistic we should be. But the idea that most in the US lack access to fresh produce seems crazy to me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    OP, you must be shopping at nothing but convenience stores, particularly if you are in Manhattan as there is an abundance of fresh produce available there, and frankly, throughout the US. I think you win the Internet today.

I've spent more time in upstate New York and Brooklyn than Manhattan. I've also spent a lot of time in Alaska (no, seriously). I honestly can't remember the specifics of where I shopped, but I remember having to take the car and drive to find anywhere that sold fresh produce. Anywhere I've lived in the UK, there's usually a small-to-mid-size supermarket within walking distance (Tesco Metro/Express, Sainsbury's Local, M&S, Little Waitrose, etc.). They are squeezing out the old corner shop/post offices, but have a far greater range of fresh food, so I'm not sorry.

How do I win the internet?

My parents are currently moving from Anchorage. The are perfectly nice Safeways all over. Sure, probably not in the bush, but there seem to be obvious issues with population sparsity that make much of AK not really representative.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    OP, I think the issue is you're not used to needing a car. UK is the size of Michigan - just by sheer virtue of its size, the US has A LOT more rural/suburban areas.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Considering what gas costs in the UK, I'd be inclined to not want to use my car there, either. Never mind the fact that Brits continue to drive on the WRONG side of the road. How nerve-racking! ;-)
  • jjulliee
    jjulliee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Most of our grocery stores, large or small, have whole foods, such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, and such. Most of what is in stores is processed and pre-packaged,though. Lucky for us, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, whole/raw, paleo, etc. seem to be very trendy in the US (or we're finally getting smart about what we eat!), so we're starting to see lots more options that are truly healthy and nutritious. Whatever it is, I hope it continues!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    OP, you must be shopping at nothing but convenience stores, particularly if you are in Manhattan as there is an abundance of fresh produce available there, and frankly, throughout the US. I think you win the Internet today.

I've spent more time in upstate New York and Brooklyn than Manhattan. I've also spent a lot of time in Alaska (no, seriously). I honestly can't remember the specifics of where I shopped, but I remember having to take the car and drive to find anywhere that sold fresh produce. Anywhere I've lived in the UK, there's usually a small-to-mid-size supermarket within walking distance (Tesco Metro/Express, Sainsbury's Local, M&S, Little Waitrose, etc.). They are squeezing out the old corner shop/post offices, but have a far greater range of fresh food, so I'm not sorry.

You just lost the Internet IMO.

I'm UK too - and I say, screw the supermarkets - I'd much rather give the butchers, fruit shop, bakers and farmers markets my money. Although some does go to the protein websites, I'm afraid :blushing:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    However, whenever I've been to the US (mostly NY), I am surprised how difficult it is to find a decent (never mind full) range of raw ingredients. Is that just my misperception, or do you actually need to go out of your way to find fresh produce in the States?

Nope, not hard at all, especially in NY. Just avoid the wrong markets. When I lived in SF and Boston, I had to go out of my way to avoid places that had a full range of raw ingredients. Now that I live in redneckland, it's a little harder to find some things, but if you stay in tourist appropriate places like metro cities, you'll be fine.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Our food (US) sucks. Most produce is produced with GMO's, which aren't labeled. Thankfully where I live there are a few family owned farms that sell meat and produce that is fresh and not grown/fed with chemicals.

I disagree. US food is superb. The Pacific Northwest is chock full of farmer's markets, local ingredients, farm shares, community gardens, and small business vendor stands which offer organic foods that are generally much cheaper than their supermarket counterparts.

Last time I was living in the Midwest (a couple years ago) Wisconsin, Yooper Michigan, Southern IL, & St. Louis also had farmer's Market and small local businesses selling local produce for the same price or cheaper than the big-name grocers (that is, if the food in question was in season--- off season more pricey).

It's NOT hard to find raw ingredients for cooking and it is generally cheaper than processed foods if you know where to shop. More than anything, the problem I see is that not everyone knows how to cook or is willing to invest time/energy into cooking after working 2 jobs and going to school.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I disagree. US food is superb. The Pacific Northwest is chock full of farmer's markets, local ingredients, farm shares, community gardens, and small business vendor stands which offer organic foods that are generally much cheaper than their supermarket counterparts.

Lots of patchouli granola with hemp seeds too. :)

I do have to mention, that I find it amusing that someone from the UK is trying to say how hard it is to find food here in the US. I had to learn Brit food when I was in culinary school. It's like a 12 year old went crazy in a pantry and then forgot spices, and salt.
  • kpbtm
    kpbtm Posts: 34
    Options

You just lost the Internet IMO.

Didn't realise there was a competition.
  • kpbtm
    Options

Lots of patchouli granola with hemp seeds too. :)

I do have to mention, that I find it amusing that someone from the UK is trying to say how hard it is to find food here in the US. I had to learn Brit food when I was in culinary school. It's like a 12 year old went crazy in a pantry and then forgot spices, and salt.

Hey, hey, a lot of people are getting really defensive here. Chill your boots. I was asking an honest question. I wasn't criticising US cuisine, or saying that UK cuisine was any model of health or flavour (which it certainly isn't)

I've got to say, as someone who has only been on this site a few days, I'm a bit disappointed at the aggro flying around.
  • kpbtm
    Options
    OP, I think the issue is you're not used to needing a car. UK is the size of Michigan - just by sheer virtue of its size, the US has A LOT more rural/suburban areas.

Thank you - makes sense.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    OP, there are what is called "food deserts" in the USA. In the poorer sections of cities across the USA there are no places that fresh produce or groceries are available. In these areas, the poorest and most over-weight lack both education and nutrition. The USA may be the land of opportunity, but only if opportunity is presented.

there are documentaries about this from HBO called The Weight Of The Nation.
  • WillowThorn
    WillowThorn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you were in upstate NY then you should have had no problem finding fresh foods. Wegman's is a supermarket chain that we have and pretty much everybody shops there. Lots of fruits and veggies.

Like others have said, the availability of good food really depends on where you are.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    It's NOT hard to find raw ingredients for cooking and it is generally cheaper than processed foods if you know where to shop. More than anything, the problem I see is that not everyone knows how to cook or is willing to invest time/energy into cooking after working 2 jobs and going to school.

So much this.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I'm originally from Eastern WA & am currently in Western OR. Especially where I am in Oregon, there are farmers markets a few days a week, plus a multitude of stores that are specifically for organic, whole, raw foods. The area I'm currently living in is also surrounded by farms where you can go and get your produce if you'd like. Living here made me realize that these things exist, but in some places you just have to look for it [like the larger city I'm from in Washington].
    OP, there are what is called "food deserts" in the USA. In the poorer sections of cities across the USA there are no places that fresh produce or groceries are available. In these areas, the poorest and most over-weight lack both education and nutrition. The USA may be the land of opportunity, but only if opportunity is presented.

I also agree with this. It all depends on where you live and what kind of access you have.
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you were in upstate NY then you should have had no problem finding fresh foods. Wegman's is a supermarket chain that we have and pretty much everybody shops there. Lots of fruits and veggies.
    Except the Capital District (grumble grumble no Wegman's dagnabbit grumble).
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What kind of things are you having trouble finding?

Ive always been able to find what I need at the big chain grocery stores around here. The exception being if its not in season.

Im also in the Pacific Northwest though. So much good stuff around here.

Also, OP, Id be weary of the forums here. Its not that there arent good people and information here, but as you can see, the forums get toxic real quick. Youd think this was reddit or tumblr or something.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do in fact have to go way out of my way to find fresh produce usually, and it's absolutely maddening. -_-