Daytime/Night help

Options
This might be a question of semantics, but I wondered about where to put food that's eaten late at night. I don't do it often, but I have a night based sleep schedule. So say I eat something at 1am on the 16th, but I've been up since the morning of the 15th. Do I log it on the 16th because that's technically what day it is, or do I go by waking to sleeping is one day regardless of whether it crosses midnight?

Replies

• curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I put the food eaten at odd times that is not a meal under snacks, even if it is a whole meal. But, If I have not eaten breakfast lunch or dinner, I will put the meal under the empty spot, either breakfast, lunch or dinner. If I have filled up breakfast, lunch and dinner, I sometimes add the extra meal under those tabs anyway. Did you know you can keep adding under any tab?

Hope any of this helps.:smile:
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My meals are labeled as:

Breakfast
    Morning Snack
    Lunch
    Afternoon Snack
    Dinner
    Evening Snack

If I have a snack late I add it to Evening Snack, even if I already had something after dinner. If it's after midnight but I haven't gone to sleep yet, I'll tack it on the calendar date previous to the actual date (so, for example, early Sunday morning is still Saturday night on my personal tracking, because once I go to sleep, that marks the end / beginning of a day). I'm sure you could do it either way if you wanted but that's how I track it myself.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There are lots of us here working late shifts or otherwise sleeping during odd times.

For me, if I eat something at 1:30 am, I log it with the food from the day before.

Whatever you choose, be consistent.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I always log midnight to midnight.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    When I cover nights at work I log the day from when I wake up to when I go to sleep, so that could be wake up 3pm breakfast to bedtime at 7am, remember your body doesn't have a clock it doesn't know when its 23:59 or 00:01.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i am about to log a meal at 12:37 am, but i'm logging it for the previous day as i haven't been to sleep yet.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    My meals are labeled as:

Breakfast
    Morning Snack
    Lunch
    Afternoon Snack
    Dinner
    Evening Snack

If I have a snack late I add it to Evening Snack, even if I already had something after dinner. If it's after midnight but I haven't gone to sleep yet, I'll tack it on the calendar date previous to the actual date (so, for example, early Sunday morning is still Saturday night on my personal tracking, because once I go to sleep, that marks the end / beginning of a day). I'm sure you could do it either way if you wanted but that's how I track it myself.
    My food diary is labeled:
    Breakfast
    2nd Breakfast
    Elevenses
    Luncheon
    Afternoon Tea
    Dinner & Supper
    I always log midnight to midnight.
    I do this as well. I work nights 5x a week and it just makes it easier for me.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I log from waking to sleeping as one day, but I also balance my calories weekly so it really doesn't matter.. Just which ever way you're more comfortable with.
  • stitchingmeup
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone! I've been doing it sleeping-sleeping, but I wasn't sure if that was cheating, so I thought I better ask.