Log For Life?!

Options

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I plan to keep logging, but it's interesting how I see the logging process differently over time. To start with it was ALL about the calories. Now, it's more about helping me plans meals for the day (I can make dinner really quickly when the family's screaming with hunger in the evening, because I planned it out the night before or in the morning), and also about making sure I get enough protein, fat and fiber. I easily forget what I've eaten earlier in the day, and logging just takes a huge amount of pressure off and helps me organize myself generally.

I do have a "policy" of not logging meals out. I eat out maybe once every 2 weeks and I eat moderately when I do, but I enjoy it more when I don't log and it's not hindered my weight loss. I just focus on eating what I REALLY want to and not eating too much.

I don't see any of this changing when I reach my weight loss milestone.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to comment here, since I'm really not in a place to know what it's like to maintain. I'm still way far away from being in maintenance mode…. But I thought I would share a thought… If it doesn't sound like something you want to do or will work for you… then you can tell me I really don't know what I'm talking about. :-)

When I first decided it was time to lose weight… before I joined MFP… I kept a "loose" tally in my head. I knew about how many calories I should be eating, so I divided them up amongst my meals. I paid attention to portion sizes and just kept a loose running tally in my head. I wasn't weighing anything. I wasn't writing anything down. And some foods, I didn't even bother to count. I still managed to lose 14 pounds on my own in an acceptable (to me) amount of time. Now, granted, I was significantly overweight (okay, I still am… but it's coming off!), so I could still eat over 2000 calories… it wasn't like I had to be strict. So maybe this won't work for you… but maybe this could be your happy medium? A way of keeping track… but not obsessing over every ounce or every calorie.

I would suggest you're still gonna want to keep track of your weight (or maybe you would just rather go by how your clothes fit), so you know if you're staying on track.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You have to do what you know works for you.

And only YOU know what that is. But you do...

Me? Log for life I must. Because that which I was doing before was not working, and in my case was sending me towards a coffin much earlier than I wanted. I decided that I have too much left in my life to accomplish, so if this is the price of success (which its appearing to be), so be it. Its a small one to pay for the ability to make good choices.

Figure out where your pain point is with it and come up with a strategy to reduce it.

For a lot of us (not me yet), prelogging is the answer because 80% of what youre going to eat, you already know on a given day.

Continued good luck on your journey.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Logging everyday once you have reached your goal seems a bit sad really, if it is a lifestyle change then there is no need

Funny -- that's sort of how I feel! Once you learn the way to eat and portion control properly, logging should be optional. I sort of figured when I started logging, it would help me understand, and learn how many calories are in what, portion sizing, and even macros. More of a learning tool than a life long thing. Seems as though everyone is different and will have a different plan of attack!

Yup, I totally agree. The main reason logging has been so helpful is because it has made me aware of the calorie content of different food and what reasonable portion sizes are. I don't intend on micro-managing my calorie intake for my entire life - rather, I'm trying to learn good habits so that I can continue eating healthy well into the future. "Forever" is a long time. I'd rather not drive myself nuts by insisting on measuring everything that I eat until shuffle off this mortal coil - I'm neurotic enough as it is! xD
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    For me, it is for life. I know myself too well, and how easy it would be for me to back slide. I absolutely will not let this happen. So, for as long as I am able, I will be logging.

As others have said, you have to know yourself well enough to make this decision and what your long term goals are, where you want to be.

All you have to do is look at the statistics. It is a very small minority that do not gain back weight.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think you're asking the right questions, and I think that anyone who has issues with tracking intake should eventually pursue non tracking methodology.

I have some thoughts around this (just thoughts, not necessarily solutions) but I'm off to go lift. Tagging this to come back later.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with this logic:

Tried not logging ---> gained weight ----> therefore must log for life.
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes I will definitely log for life. In my 45+ years of dieting I have found that the only way I could lose weight or maintain a weight loss is by writing down everything I eat. Smart phone apps make that so easy now so why not?
  • JackieAC1951
    JackieAC1951 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not much help. I've been logging for over three years now. It's a simple habit for me, like brushing my teeth, and it doesn't stress me out at all. I enjoy cooking and eating all kinds of food, and logging hasn't prevented me from enjoying life at all. I honestly would have no problem logging for life, since it's so easy for me - almost like a game rather than a chore. For someone like you, who IS stressed by logging, maybe you should just trying intermittent logging. Do your best to maintain on your own, and when you feel yourself slipping, come back and log again until you've got it under control again. Maybe that could work for you? :flowerforyou:

I couldn't have said it better.

Ditto. I, too, enjoy normal everyday foods as well as eating out. When eating out, I will pull up my Smartphone app to add the food that I consumed. That sets my trend for the balance of the day. When I have reached my calorie limit, I stop eating even if that limit was reached early in the day. I will be logging everyday now. I am a "MFP Lifer".
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Yes I will definitely log for life. In my 45+ years of dieting I have found that the only way I could lose weight or maintain a weight loss is by writing down everything I eat. Smart phone apps make that so easy now so why not?

For people who don't have any issues with tracking intake, then it's a perfectly fine method to use. However, regarding your last question, ease of use is not the only concern with tracking intake.
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For me it has become an accountability. Yesterday I had a "blow-out" where I ate twice my allotted calories (mostly due to alcohol consumption). However, I logged it all.That little "You would weigh this in 5 weeks if you ate this every day." has put me back on track today!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not much help. I've been logging for over three years now. It's a simple habit for me, like brushing my teeth, and it doesn't stress me out at all. I enjoy cooking and eating all kinds of food, and logging hasn't prevented me from enjoying life at all. I honestly would have no problem logging for life, since it's so easy for me - almost like a game rather than a chore. For someone like you, who IS stressed by logging, maybe you should just trying intermittent logging. Do your best to maintain on your own, and when you feel yourself slipping, come back and log again until you've got it under control again. Maybe that could work for you? :flowerforyou:

I couldn't have said it better.
    [/quote

I agree that I will probably continue logging as long as I can. I didn't have a lot to lose but I followed the plan and it came off pretty quickly. More important for me was logging of my exercise as well as the food. I just turned 60 and don't plan on slowing down so this fabulous app keeps me focused. Its a very personal decision but I'm here to stay!. Good luck!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    "Forever" and "For life" are long times.

I'm not sure whether I will be doing this for life - but am going to do it for the foreseeable future - because it is working for me and I don't find it tedious or difficult.

having said that, I have found it best to wean myself onto what I call Long Term Relaxed Logging - by that, I mean, yes I still log every day but I don't weigh everything exactly, eg. I call every mandarine a small or medium mandarine, I eyeball portions of low calorie vegetables, I don't weigh condiments, I guestimate when I eat out etc

This, to me, is the fine balance between still logging and therefore still being accountable (and successfully maintaining my weight) - but not becoming obsessive or dragged down by it.

This is exactly what I do as well. I call it tracking my food, rather than logging my food. Guesstimate and eyeball and after two years of maintenance it seems to be a good system for me. It also helps me keep tabs on my macros and micros, especially protein, iron, and calcium.

That said, if logging is a stressor and detracting from your enjoyment of food, I would find another system. Obsessing about anything isn't good and food is no exception. You seem to have the portion sizes down and you mentioned being concerned that some less than healthy foods are creeping back in. What about just focusing on that? Reducing the amount or frequency (or entire elimination) of junk food in your diet? For me, that's a biggie. That's how I ended up 50 pounds overweight. So I nixed the mindless late-night junk food sacking. I know if I resume that old bad habit the pounds will come back as well. And since I WILL NOT be regaining the 50 pounds I worked so hard to lose, it's a very easy choice for me to make. No mindless junk food snacking. End of story.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I once thought I would log for life then something changed in me. I'm not even sure what it could have been other than stress.

Logging food started causing anxiety and the anxiety started causing me to binge eat. Instead of losing weight/maintaining, I started gaining weight. I gained 20 lbs before I really made the connection to logging being a trigger.

Now, I'm eating intuitively for the most part and losing weight.

I made some very simple rules for myself:
    -If I'm not hungry, I skip that meal because it helps keep me in tune with my body's hunger cues.
    -I eat roughly 85% whole foods.
    -If I snack, it's on fruits or vegetables and sometimes a small portion of nuts.
    -At each meal I eat a good source of protein, a smallish amount of fat, at least one serving of vegetables/fruits, and a small complex carb
    -I have small dessert one time a day.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with obsessiveness. What's helped me is I eat my usual amount for breakfast, pre-workout, and mid-workout snacks, which totals around 600-800 calories. After my workout, I log my exercise, see how much I can eat, and go to the store to pick up food (it's on my walk home from the gym). When I get home, I decide what I'm going to eat, taking about 10-15 minutes total to put everything in, mess with numbers a bit to hit my macros, and that's it. I just have to refer to my log for measurements when I dish out my food, but otherwise I don't really touch it unless I suddenly have a huge craving for something different. This has helped me back off a bit from the obsessiveness, since I just deal with it once per day really.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    So as I mentioned earlier I had some thoughts on this.

I think that tracking is a great plan for a lot of people and for some people it's not a good plan. I think the goal for most people should be to get to a place where you do not need to track on a regular basis to maintain a reasonable body-weight.

But eating "without logging" isn't necessarily the same as "just winging it".

You may need to form specific habits around your eating such that when those habits are implemented you naturally eat within a range of calories that roughly meets your needs.

Due to individual differences in energy needs, preferences, and current habits, I don't think there's a blanket approach that is going to work for everyone. But if I were to list some general concepts that I think may be useful for people who are trying to implement this:

- Keep a simple log to document when you feel hungry and pay close attention to actual hunger. Allow yourself to feel hunger for a short time and embrace it. The process of doing this can help to separate hunger from other drivers to eat.

- Eat a set number of meals (3 or 4 seems to be a good fit for most people) and keep some form of structure in how you compose those meals. For example you can approximate protein relative the size of your palm, you can approximate vegetables in terms of "handfuls", etc.

-Either eliminate snacking or keep snacking consistent, minimal, and of low energy density (ie a piece of fruit).

-Limit the nutrient sparse, energy dense food items based on calorie availability (this assumes you are going from a calorie counting model to a non counting model). For example a person with lower energy output may need to limit to 1 small "fun" item per day or even less frequent. You may need to also keep tabs on bread/starches and other energy dense/lower satiety items.

- Consume mostly whole and nutrient dense foods. You may need to set a target for number of servings of vegetables and fruits.

- If I were to attempt this approach I would make sure each meal contains all 3 macronutrients for satiety purposes, and I would lean rather heavily on protein and fibrous vegetables when possible, again for satiety.

- I would consider paying attention to environment if needed. As an example I would move energy dense ("junk" food to use a loose term) foods to a less convenient location so that I don't have to see these foods on a regular basis. Moving these foods from the countertop to a concealed cabinet for example, prevents me from seeing it and thus reduces the time I spend thinking about this food or deciding whether or not I should eat it. I would also move energy sparse, nutrient dense foods like vegetables and fruits to more open positions so that they are more present/convenient to eat.

-I would continue to weigh myself and track average body-weight over time. I would probably allow a window of 5lbs or so before determining whether or not it's "not working" or "working".

-I would consider implementing some of these habits while tracking if someone were to consider moving from a tracking to a non tracking system.

You could also pull away tracking piece-wise. With some of my online clients I'm starting the process by implementing some of the above behaviors while simultaneously removing the food scale on most items. This is sort of a "baby steps" process in which eventually we may reduce tracking frequency (example -- tracking 3-4 days/week).

These are just some ideas and I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    So as I mentioned earlier I had some thoughts on this.

I think that tracking is a great plan for a lot of people and for some people it's not a good plan. I think the goal for most people should be to get to a place where you do not need to track on a regular basis to maintain a reasonable body-weight.

But eating "without logging" isn't necessarily the same as "just winging it".

You may need to form specific habits around your eating such that when those habits are implemented you naturally eat within a range of calories that roughly meets your needs.

Due to individual differences in energy needs, preferences, and current habits, I don't think there's a blanket approach that is going to work for everyone. But if I were to list some general concepts that I think may be useful for people who are trying to implement this:

- Keep a simple log to document when you feel hungry and pay close attention to actual hunger. Allow yourself to feel hunger for a short time and embrace it. The process of doing this can help to separate hunger from other drivers to eat.

- Eat a set number of meals (3 or 4 seems to be a good fit for most people) and keep some form of structure in how you compose those meals. For example you can approximate protein relative the size of your palm, you can approximate vegetables in terms of "handfuls", etc.

-Either eliminate snacking or keep snacking consistent, minimal, and of low energy density (ie a piece of fruit).

-Limit the nutrient sparse, energy dense food items based on calorie availability (this assumes you are going from a calorie counting model to a non counting model). For example a person with lower energy output may need to limit to 1 small "fun" item per day or even less frequent. You may need to also keep tabs on bread/starches and other energy dense/lower satiety items.

- Consume mostly whole and nutrient dense foods. You may need to set a target for number of servings of vegetables and fruits.

- If I were to attempt this approach I would make sure each meal contains all 3 macronutrients for satiety purposes, and I would lean rather heavily on protein and fibrous vegetables when possible, again for satiety.

- I would consider paying attention to environment if needed. As an example I would move energy dense ("junk" food to use a loose term) foods to a less convenient location so that I don't have to see these foods on a regular basis. Moving these foods from the countertop to a concealed cabinet for example, prevents me from seeing it and thus reduces the time I spend thinking about this food or deciding whether or not I should eat it. I would also move energy sparse, nutrient dense foods like vegetables and fruits to more open positions so that they are more present/convenient to eat.

-I would continue to weigh myself and track average body-weight over time. I would probably allow a window of 5lbs or so before determining whether or not it's "not working" or "working".

-I would consider implementing some of these habits while tracking if someone were to consider moving from a tracking to a non tracking system.

You could also pull away tracking piece-wise. With some of my online clients I'm starting the process by implementing some of the above behaviors while simultaneously removing the food scale on most items. This is sort of a "baby steps" process in which eventually we may reduce tracking frequency (example -- tracking 3-4 days/week).

These are just some ideas and I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out.

Do you consider the rules I have for myself that I listed earlier in this thread to pretty much meet these criteria?
  • mrsbunburyist
    Options
    It sounds to me like they do!

Personally, I logged very carefully for about a year and a half (under another site/system) when I first got interested in eating more healthily. I lost 40 pounds that way. Then I stopped logging and regained about 10 pounds, then lost them again through intuitive eating and just plain old mindfulness... and now I'm back on board with logging, because I switched to a vegan diet and want to retrain myself to eat as healthfully as possible.

For me, logging is a tool to build habits and inculcate information about nutrition through practice. So, I'm not getting enough potassium right now... great. That's why I log. In a year, I expect to just "know" what foods have potassium in them and to just "know" that I need to get those foods every day. Right now, I need the diary to help me remember and see what I can do better.

This is just how it functioned for me when I was losing those 40 lbs. I needed to learn how many calories things had, and roughly how much I could eat.

So, no... not everybody has to log for life. I think it's a great tool, and some people do log for life, but not everyone has to!
  • BosLady1
    BosLady1 Posts: 83
    Options
    I don't know if what I have to say will help you at all, but I'll give you some insight into my own personal experience.

I'm not so sure about the "for life" thing.. but I will say this. I logged for 8 months straight and lost 30 lbs. I maintained that for about 2-3 months on my own then, thought I could go it alone from there on out ((cocky much)) lol.... and gained back 32 lbs in just over 1.5 years. UGGGH!!

Being a lifer at this doesn't bother me since I know it helps me so much personally. I admit, I was kinda obsessive in the beginning, but then I realized I eat just about the same thing at least 2x a week...which made my personal logging easier. Now it is second nature. I came back this time to MFP with the plan to get to goal. I stopped with 27lbs to go last time... now starting over +2 lbs from my highest... I know what I need to do. I ♥ MFP

Best of luck to you....
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume that even if not with MFP i'll be logging for life if no other reason than to keep myself aware of my habits in case i slip back into the bad ones. Love your avatar by the way.

yep me too. Besides logging on here I also keep a journal. I write in it all day everyday. Its my biggest weapon. Even if I don't log on here I never skip a moment to write a food down or meal or activity or thought as the day progresses. I find it helps me out when I make my grocery lists too. Its like my bible. I plan to keep at it for life. IF I don't, I will inevitably gain back my weight and I have promised myself to never do that again. So yes, I think keeping aware of what you eat and what you do is going to be part of your new lifestyle. Just try to make it as easy to do so. Maybe keep a magnetic list on the fridge, get a journal, etc. Whatever it takes to maintain your new weight.
  • lisalower
    lisalower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Finding the balance between using mfp as a weight maintenance tool versus a life controlling obsession has been a challenge for me too.

I've been trying to maintain for a few months now with variable success.

I had a few goals:
    1. Stop weighing and measuring everything I eat - practice estimating until I get my portion sizes about right.
    2. Stop pre-logging every day - go with the flow a little more - check every now and then with logging my day at the end of the day.

I've become very good at 1. but have wandered into the land of denial several times with 2.

I still think 2. is a good approach for me, and might schedule a reminder one day a week to do this....just to keep me from "forgetting".