Need ideas to enhance oatmeal

Options
It has taken me 2 hours to eat Quaker Oat plain oatmeal (i added 2 packs of splenda). Please suggest some ideas to help with the flavor.

Replies

• Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    Add sugar free jelly to it! Or some fresh fruit diced up..
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, almond milk, bananas, a tsp of brown sugar, sliced apples.

I make "reese's oatmeal" 1/2T dark chocolate chips mixed with 1T Natural peanut butter. Yummmmy!
  • dino_morgan
    dino_morgan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    walnuts :):) brown sugar :):)
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    My husband wiill add Sugar Free Berries to his, or Soy Nuts.. You could add Yogurt to it too..

Also I buy the Low Sugar Oatmeal and it comes in Maple and Brown sugar or Apple Cinnamon 100 calories for the pack.
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    1 tsp of brown sugar
    chopped apples
    raisins
    berries
    sf syrup
    granola
    bananas
    nuts
    the possibilities are endless.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar splenda and cinnamon
    Chopped apples and cinnamon/splenda
    Low calorie maple syrup
    Yogurt/berries
    Banana and hot chocolate mix (choco monkey oatmeal by Hungry Girl)

:smile:
  • sweetsexy43
    sweetsexy43 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I honestly eat the flavored ones..but when i do indulge..i add vanilla and a tablespoon of brown sugar and fresh nutmeg. My husband is from the Islands and when he makes it..he adds a tablespoon of condensed milk.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    chopped apple or pear and freshly grated GINGER! yummy!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Add cinnamon and raisins to oatmeal before cooking. (The raisins become delightfully moist and plump.)

Chop an apple; add cinnamon and microwave. Then stir into oatmeal.

Good luck!
  • Judyhoo
    Options
    Cinnamon and/or raisins.
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I got you!.....just did this the other night. It is crazy good. Take your oatmeal and add an extra 1/2 cup of water when you make it. Then add one scoop of Walmart's Cookies and Cream Super Whey Fortress. It is very filling, tastes awesome you don't need to add sweetner and the protein is off the chart! I was so glad I threw this together. Its now a favorite. Also great with Cream of Wheat. Oats will stick to your ribs a great deal longer though. :) Hope you like it!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I add a tsp honey, some cinnamon, and one egg white. Just add the egg white right after it's out of the microwave and stir it a whole lot, then cook it a little longer if the white looks too runny. The cinnamon and honey make it sweeter and give it flavour and the egg white makes it creamy and gives it some protein.
  • whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have mine with fresh strawberries and blueberries, a dash of cinnamon, and 1/2 t of sugar (I'm out of truvia).

It's delish!
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love adding half a banana or half an apple - plus a few drops of Stevia if you still want it sweeter (much healthier than Splenda, plus it doesn't change the texture). Another option is to add crushed pecans and brown sugar, but that adds a lot more more calories/fat/sugar. Sprinkling dried cranberries in there, or raisens can be a good option too.

I like actually making "real" oatmeal, not the instant kind, especially when I have more time on weekend mornings. There's a lot more fiber in there (unless you're eating the instant kind with a bunch of chemical fiber processed into it) plus the texture is richer and not so slimy/gooey.
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just add a banana Im not trying to waste all my food in my oatmeal
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I just like mine with bluberries. I make it with salt and just make sure the blueberries are really ripe.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    We have been making our own version of the McDonald's new oatmeal cups.
    Add:
    Cinnamon, nutmeg or whatever other spices you like (pumpkin pie spice is great!)
    1/4 of an apple diced (the smaller you dice it, the more apple you will have in each bite)
    10 grams of golden raisins
    10 grams of dried cranberries or dried cherries chopped.

I think McD's adds maple syrup and brown sugar, but we don't like having the extra calories and don't feel it needs the extra flavor but if you do, go for it. As someone else stated, the possibilities with oatmeal are endless!
  • marciml
    marciml Posts: 41
    Options
    I keep frozen berries around and add 1/4-1/3 cup. I wait til the oatmeal is fully constituted, then add my berries. Its delish!
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    Chopped apple/cinnamon
    Blueberries
    Dried cranberries
    Dried apricots
    Raisins

The list is endless 0)
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love adding half a banana or half an apple - plus a few drops of Stevia if you still want it sweeter (much healthier than Splenda, plus it doesn't change the texture). Another option is to add crushed pecans and brown sugar, but that adds a lot more more calories/fat/sugar. Sprinkling dried cranberries in there, or raisens can be a good option too.

I like actually making "real" oatmeal, not the instant kind, especially when I have more time on weekend mornings. There's a lot more fiber in there (unless you're eating the instant kind with a bunch of chemical fiber processed into it) plus the texture is richer and not so slimy/gooey.
    I agree on the real oatmeal. I actually think the steel cut is best. It has a nutty, crunchy texture but it does take about 30 minutes to cook!