Heavy lifting + long distance running?

Options
I have been running for about a year now, although the most I have ever run was 5 miles (back in March), and now I'm trying to work my way back up to longer distances (hoping for 6 miles by the end of the year and then going up from there).

However, I would also like to start lifting heavy soon, but I have heard that long cardio sessions can hinder lifting progress. Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with combining the two? I would most likely be lifting 3x a week and running on the non-lifting days. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I always think of my running training in seasons. On season is when I am actively training for a goal race. During this time, I lift for maintenance. I will lift twice a week, hitting most body areas once, lift heavy and get out and go home. I don't look to create too much bulk because that is pretty much just as hard to lug 26.2 miles as fat as.So I have read a lot about weight lifting programs for runners and I like the book Weight Training for Running: The Ultimate Guide.

During off season, that is the time I look to make more strength gains using a 3 sessions week (at least) lifting routine and then strength building running workouts as well such as hill sprints.

I make sure to eat back most, if not all, of my calories burned while running, make sure I am getting recovery meals in, make sure I am eating enough carbs during on season and make protein in off season, etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, if you want to maximize one over the other, then obviously, you'll have to sacrifice intensity.

Just figure out what you want. They aren't exactly complementary, but you can definitely do both. Athletes all over the world do.
  • KimMc60
    KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been reading a bunch of threads and it seems like it'd be best for me to do both but focus more on running long during the winter and lifting in the summer (since running in hot weather is killer). Thanks for your help!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, if you want to maximize one over the other, then obviously, you'll have to sacrifice intensity.

Just figure out what you want. They aren't exactly complementary, but you can definitely do both. Athletes all over the world do.

^This...
    Compare the picture of a marathon runner and a sprinter...you'll notice the difference in their training... I competed in track and field, and I had to limit my distance runs significantly, because endurance training would suck out the strength that I needed for the jumps and the sprints. That's just 2 different types of muscle fibers. A competitive athlete will have to sacrifice one or the other to get to the very top. For fitness, it's not a problem.