Here's my dessert today (Picture) - What's yours?

Options
13»

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    07f339d7ea6f51ad77be240a0d76979a8c29.jpg

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars

2 cup peanuts
    2 tbsp coconut oil
    1 cup Irish steel cut oats
    6 extra large bananas
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup Raisins
    1/2 cup Peanuts

Blend salt peanuts and coconut oil, add bananas, blend for a few seconds, add oats, blend for a few more seconds. Mix raisins and 1/2 cup peanuts into batter.

Pour into pan.

Cook on about 350 for 20 minutes.

Chop strawberries and blueberries in the blender (don't blend thoroughly, just a few seconds should do). Top cake with mixture. Return to oven for 10 or so more minutes.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every day. Today (and most days) I'm having ice cream.

Curious, what's unhealthy about rice krispies treats?

What's weird is that the OP's version seems like it's going to have 50% more calories and take twice the time to make as the "unhealthy" version

I think the OP calling them "Healthier" is due to the fact that they are more natural and have more nutritional value, not necessarily lower calories. They are made with whole grains, brown rice syrup is a low glycemic index natural sweetener, honey is natural... though still very high GI with only enough vitamins to sustain a bee, dark chocolate is used... Marshmallows are left out, most marshmallows have corn syrup made with GM corn, and gelatin made with animal bones (which a vegetarian or vegan won't eat).

So I guess it depends on your goals, if you are looking solely to lose weight, then calories are your only focus and these are not going to be a better choice for you than the original, if you are a "clean eating" person than these are more in line with your goals, though still not as good a choice as a fruit salad.

Right now, I personally need to focus more on calories than anything else, but I do try to make "clean" choices within my calorie limit as much as possible... I'm not a huge fan of rice krispies treats either way, so for my desert I had cantaloupe with yogurt.

Thank you - I was just about to post a similar response to answer all those 'burning questions'. I too need to focus on getting more calories in and have changed my diet to ensure 'wholesome', more nutrient-based food items - When I eat something, I want it to be nutritious, not just 'empty calories'. I understand many of you here are concerned with eating too many calories, but there are also individuals here that are the complete opposite. Everyone's health journey is different!

BTW: I was trying to keep it 'light' by including an 'LOL' to my previous response. Please don't take my response of 'snarky' as mean spirited. Also, the comment I made about having your 'Mommy make you some...' was also not meant to be mean spirited either!
    I truly am not trying to make enemies here -I am sorry if you took it that way and I apologize for attempting to be 'funny'...I guess it was not!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

What's weird is that the OP's version seems like it's going to have 50% more calories and take twice the time to make as the "unhealthy" version

I think the OP calling them "Healthier" is due to the fact that they are more natural and have more nutritional value, not necessarily lower calories. They are made with whole grains, brown rice syrup is a low glycemic index natural sweetener, honey is natural... though still very high GI with only enough vitamins to sustain a bee, dark chocolate is used... Marshmallows are left out, most marshmallows have corn syrup made with GM corn, and gelatin made with animal bones (which a vegetarian or vegan won't eat).

So I guess it depends on your goals, if you are looking solely to lose weight, then calories are your only focus and these are not going to be a better choice for you than the original, if you are a "clean eating" person than these are more in line with your goals, though still not as good a choice as a fruit salad.

Right now, I personally need to focus more on calories than anything else, but I do try to make "clean" choices within my calorie limit as much as possible... I'm not a huge fan of rice krispies treats either way, so for my desert I had cantaloupe with yogurt.

Thank you - I was just about to post a similar response to answer all those 'burning questions'. I too need to focus on getting more calories in and have changed my diet to ensure 'wholesome', more nutrient-based food items - When I eat something, I want it to be nutritious, not just 'empty calories'. I understand many of you here are concerned with eating too many calories, but there are also individuals here that are the complete opposite. Everyone's health journey is different!

BTW: I was trying to keep it 'light' by including an 'LOL' to my previous response. Please don't take my response of 'snarky' as mean spirited. Also, the comment I made about having your 'Mommy make you some...' was also not meant to be mean spirited either!
    I truly am not trying to make enemies here -I am sorry if you took it that way and I apologize for attempting to be 'funny'...I guess it was not!

I don't think that lower calories means healthier, but I also don't think that "more natural" means healthier either, necessarily. To each their own, I suppose.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I had this earlier today.

be49e8c0dcb31f46_m.jpg

It's a Twix ice cream bar.
    It must have been very melty. Why did you wait almost 4 years to eat it after you took the picture?

Also, twix don't have peanuts on them, that looks like a snickers ice cream bar, which are also yummy, especially if you eat them right away instead of waiting 4 years.

Heh.

That was not a photo I took, as you may have deduced. But random internet photo is a pretty accurate pictorial representation.

And the "peanuts" threw me off as well - but for whatever reason, they are peanut-shaped bits of cookie. I would take a bite, and think "it tastes like cookie" and then I'd look at it and think "but it looks like peanut."

But this picture illustrates the above peanut-shaped cookie phenomenon.

mars-bar-twix.jpg
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Here in the U.K we get NONE of the yummy stuff you lot across the pond get, no Dole choc covered bananas, no Ben and Jerry's Frozen Greek Yogurt, none of those things that look like crumpets but obviously aren't since they have apple pictures on the box, so tonight yet again I'm having Strawberries and cream.
  • stargirl833
    Options
    Here in the U.K we get NONE of the yummy stuff you lot across the pond get, no Dole choc covered bananas, no Ben and Jerry's Frozen Greek Yogurt, none of those things that look like crumpets but obviously aren't since they have apple pictures on the box, so tonight yet again I'm having Strawberries and cream.

Just a quick note to say you can get frozen yogurt in most supermarkets in the UK. I currently have the Ben & Jerry's vanilla frozen yogurt in my freezer. They do a yummy honey caramel frozen yoghurt.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I ate a chunk of fudge. Mm.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers English Toffee Crunch bars
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I thought you were being funny with your response and I didn't take it personally, hence my jack Nicholson response. That said, I think if you start consuming extra calories because they "come from healthy sources" you'll quickly run out of room for some of your important macros. The magical health benefits of non gmo honey aren't going to replace the protein I need to to repair my body after working out.

Also, every overweight person who "solely loses weight" ends up with better health markers than they began with, regardless of how "clean" they ate while doing so. Spending extra time to create and eat higher calorie snacks (granola, I'm looking at you) may sometimes delay the actual, measurable benefits of trying to be healthier. Better lab results, lower bf%, and better BMI are health benefits can be proven, unlike the benefits from "eating clean".
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Right.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

I thought you were being funny with your response and I didn't take it personally, hence my jack Nicholson response. That said, I think if you start consuming extra calories because they "come from healthy sources" you'll quickly run out of room for some of your important macros. The magical health benefits of non gmo honey aren't going to replace the protein I need to to repair my body after working out.

Also, every overweight person who "solely loses weight" ends up with better health markers than they began with, regardless of how "clean" they ate while doing so. Spending extra time to create and eat higher calorie snacks (granola, I'm looking at you) may sometimes delay the actual, measurable benefits of trying to be healthier. Better lab results, lower bf%, and better BMI are health benefits can be proven, unlike the benefits from "eating clean".

This is why I wish I'd concentrated more on exercise than weight loss when I got overweight as a teen. Not because exercising to burn off extra calories works (it never has for me!) but because how I feel when I work out is greatly affected by the quality of food I eat. Of course when I was a teenager I wasn't eating much of anything when 'dieting' and had the junk shoveling capacity of a trash compactor on legs when not dieting, so I don't know if I would have realized just how important balanced nutrition is even if I had been focused on exercise. I realize it now, though.

And yep, that includes foods like my delicious fruit bar/cake thing. They're heavy. I'm sitting in my chair watching the clock wanting to go get at least a walk in the vitamin D happy sunshine, but can't...move...yet...
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    <<<<<

Chocolate peanut butter brownie from Di Bruno's, Philadelphia!
  • MissMamaAndrea
    MissMamaAndrea Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    fruit salad for my family
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    <<<<<

Chocolate peanut butter brownie from Di Bruno's, Philadelphia!

Omg, that looks awesome. Love peanut butter and chocolate together.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Huh. I guess I'll stick to the ones from the store then.

Fresh made ones never taste right anyway.

You need to try these:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Peanut-Butter-Rice-Krispie-Treats/

Best evvaaa!!

My program chair made peanut butter rice Krispy treats with peanut butter cup chunks sprinkled over the top. They were incredible. I will have to check out this recipe.

And homemade is much better!! The don't keep as long, but they are better!