Opinions on Lean Cuisines?

Options
And other "lean" single serve meals? What do you think about having them as part of your diet occasionally?

I like the idea of buying cheap meals for when I'm too tired to make my own dinner but are there things about these meals that can be bad for weight loss?

Replies

• KimchiKiller
    KimchiKiller Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers, but they can be high in sodium, which is definitely not good. I think if you have some of these type meals occasionally, it's ok, but definitely not for lunch & dinner every day of the week.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I always loved them. When I used to get them and use them I would save money and lose weight. But then everyone talked me into stopping because they're overly processed.
  • jmuth01
    jmuth01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would read over this to start:

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_Healthy_Are_Lean_Cuisines_Frozen_Dinner

IMO, eating processed pre-packaged meals in never beneficial because, well, its processed. Yes, it is convenient, but you can easily make something equivalent in the time it takes to heat it up that is better and natural.
  • JLoescher01
    JLoescher01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I guess they might be ok in a pinch, but they don't have much nutrition in them and little food. I always try to make my own frozen meals. Just make extra of the good stuff and freeze it. :smile:
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    they're too expensive where I live, but I'm not exactly a health but, and they aided weight loss.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    if you keep your calories in check you can eat anything you like within reason and still lose weight. That being said- my opinion on "lean cuisines" is that they taste bad and I wouldn't waste my calories on them. If you would like a microwave meal I suggest trying Amy's; they taste a 1,000x better.

Sometimes when I'm really tired after school I have what I call a "pupu" meal. I have larger portions of things I usually eat as appetizers or snacks because they're easy to grab such as grapes, cheese, pepperoni/salami, dark chocolate or ice-cream, maybe even potato chips (not all together obviously) and sometimes a larger glass of wine :bigsmile: and have that as "diner". It actually kind of feels like a treat. Just an idea.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables actually have as many vitamins, and in some cases, more than fresh vegetables. Lean Cuisine has also changed some of their pasta to whole wheat. They are high in sodium. As an occasional meal, they are healthy options.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I think those frozen meals taste awful. Make up some dinners and freeze them, have them already pre measured and weighed. So when you don't feel like cooking, they will be there ready for you. Also pasta and frozen veggies make fire a fast dinner without much prep time.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I agree that they are fine as occasional meal options, just not everyday. They are high in sodium, and worse they don't teach you proper nutrition planning. I do have these foods in my diet, but when I include them, I make sure that I also increase my fluid intake to help eliminate excess sodium (and to feel fuller, because most of those meals contain very little food)
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite lean frozen meals are the Michelina Lean Gourmet ones. They're usually like a dollar apiece where I am, and they taste very good. When supplemented with another side, like bread, a meat, or a potato, for example, they're just like any other meal. Often, they don't even need a supplement.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Too expensive.
    Not enough food.
    No fresh produce.
    Too much sodium.
  • Kisame29
    Kisame29 Posts: 9,647 Member
    Options
    I have the same type of lean cuisine every day for breakfast (chicken parmesan). Personally I really enjoy the taste of that one and it is easy to make in the morning since it will cook while I'm getting ready. Plus then I do not need to weigh out anything either, so it's also convenient for portion control.

That being said, it's probably better to make your own meals and freeze them (less sodium- although one frozen meal usually isn't too bad). I just don't want to spend my Sunday making up frozen meals for the rest of the week at this point, but hopefully one day in the future. I just try to avoid having more than one frozen meal per day.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    They probably aren't ideal as an every day sort of thing, I would much rather make something fresh for the same amount of calories. I find them terribly salty and lackluster at best. However, for a quick and dirty meal on the go, they wouldn't be too bad once in a while. I keep a couple stashed at my lab in the lunchroom freezer for days that i wind up staying late running experiments and didn't bring anything for dinner.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I always have a couple of frozen dinners in the freezer. If I work late I can be way too tempted to stop at a drive thru and make bad choices rather than figure out what to make. I always stir fry some veggies while the dinner is in the microwave to mix in.

My unprofessional opinion :) is that they are fine as a fall back, but not good to rely on them. I know some women who eat them every day for lunch at work but don't really like them. That makes me sad :cry:
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Too expensive.
    Not enough food.
    No fresh produce.
    Too much sodium.

Depending on when the produce was added to the meal, it might actually be fresher than the "fresh" produce in your grocery store. Flash frozen veggies are much closer to fresh-picked than non-frozen ones. Plus you can get this stuff for really cheap, and if you're used to smaller portions then it's definitely enough food. Sodium really isn't as important as a lot of people claim it is.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah I actually have Michelina Lean Gourmet! I only say Lean Cuisines because they are kinda the same but more known... and I just needed an opinion on the "healthy" type microwave meals. (and yeah I get them a buck a piece which is so cheap for a convenient alternative).
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I personally love them! I usually have one on days where I need something quick before work, and they work out perfectly since they are affordable, quick, and come in countless flavors and varieties! Some are definitely better than others, so just look at the nutritionals and make your decision in the store. Some do have a fair amount of vitamins and protein, and I've noticed their sodium really isn't too bad compared with other frozen meals.
    I also really enjoy Healthy Choice's cafe steamers, mmmm.
    As far as processing goes - yes, they're processed, but so are a lot of things and at the end of the day for weight loss calories matter most.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As a foodie, these kind of things are just vile to me...absolutely disgusting...barely qualifies as food IMHO. I used to eat these kind of things occasionally when I traveled more for business and was practically living in a hotel half of the year...brings back horrible memories...nasty ****.
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them as a regular part of my diet, but I've been known to keep one in the freezer at work in case of emergency. If I forget my lunch from home or whatever plans I may have had falls through, then I have something that is fairly reasonable calorie-wise to fall back on.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have a few lean cuisines and a few weight watchers ones that I like. I picked out the lower sodium ones and the better tasting ones and on work days i have one for lunch almost every day. I then also have some fruit or veggies with them and I am satisfied. I don't find them expensive as they are less than $2 a piece so not that bad. I personally have better things to do then to spend a weekend day making my own frozen meals lol. I have had a lot of success on my weight loss eating them. Its all about calories in and calories out so whatever floats your boat go for it! (not saying to eat one massive burger per day lol)