Any success stories where the scale hasn't really moved....

Options
kate0707
kate0707 Posts: 13 Member
Hi
I am looking to hear of any success stories from those of you who haven't necessary seen the scales move much but have list inches and body fat?
I am not seeing any movement on the scales but my clothes feel bigger and I feel lighter, just find it hard to stay motivated as I would like to lose 1 st 7lb.
I have just started the les mill combat at home DVD.

Anyone got any pics they want to share?

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics for you unfortunately. However, I did go through a period where I only lost 5 pounds in 6 months. At first I was all depressed but when my personal trainer measured me, I had lost 11 1/2 inches. Keep it up!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have lost consistently for over 7 months, but over the last month, since 7/8, I have lost inches but my scale weight is staying the same. Losing inches is still progress, a plateau is when you don't progress at all, no scale loss, can't lift any heavier (if you lift), no inches lost. As long as you are progressing, you are not in a plateau.

I am trying a 10 day diet break (well, still counting but eating at the lower end of maintenance) to see if that gets things moving scale-wise, just started yesterday so I will have to see if it works.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    In seven weeks my scale has moved four pounds, BUT. I have lost 10.4 inches total all over me. The most is a loss of 3 inches under my bust. That means I am losing fat in my middle back.

Measure yourself regularly. I measure every few weeks.

I can't depend on the scale, I would be too discouraged!!

Yesterday I was able to zip a dress up all the way that I have wanted to wear for two years. It's a lily Pulitzer and I have kept it just to fit into it. :bigsmile:
  • kate0707
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It just seems crazy when I have 1.5 stone to lose and nothing shifts on the scale.
    But I can tell I'm losing something as clothes feel better.
    I started my measurements this weekend so I can keep track of that instead. And I have taken some pics so hopefully I can see the progress along the way.

If I have just started a training programme can that cause your weight to stall initially?
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes maybe starting a training programme is causing you to retain more water. The scale can be very misleading. I haven't seen a change in a couple of weeks now even though I am most definitely eating at a deficit. However, I'm losing inches all over and feel and see the difference in my clothes.

I take the scale as a long-term trend tool only. It will drive you nuts otherwise - it can be a fickle beast. I can fluctuate by 2kg/4.4lbs over the course of a day. But over the long term, it should show a downward trend.

For now, I say focus on measurements and non-scale victories.
  • solaceowl
    solaceowl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well I lost 29 pounds, but gave up when no more weight came off. So I decided about a month ago to completely change my diet. I am hoping in about 3 to 4 days from now when I weigh myself in that I made the right decision.
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I take the scale as a long-term trend tool only. It will drive you nuts otherwise - it can be a fickle beast. I can fluctuate by 2kg/4.4lbs over the course of a day. But over the long term, it should show a downward trend.

For now, I say focus on measurements and non-scale victories.

This is so important! So that I don't stress over the scale, I only weigh myself at the same time every day, first thing in the morning. That way it doesn't matter when's the last time ate or how much water I drank that day. That will come later. In the morning, I'm at the lowest weight of the day because I'm the most dehydrated, I think. :happy:
  • carnavore
    Options
    Take measurements, don't go so much by the scale.Take progress pictures, I take one once a week.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Just before my daughter's first birthday it hit me that I couldn't ready pull off the whole "I just had a baby" excuse, so I started doing the new rules of lifting for women and kept my eating pretty spot-on. My weight didn't change much, but my size did. This was after Stage 1 of nrol4w.

7d6261ff-17f5-482d-8cc0-6c718f0e833e_zps91b3faee.jpg

Edited to try & make the picture work - and I am standing differently in the after pic, but it definitely reflects the difference in how I looked, and I felt a million times better and fitter.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just before my daughter's first birthday it hit me that I couldn't ready pull off the whole "I just had a baby" excuse, so I started doing the new rules of lifting for women and kept my eating pretty spot-on. My weight didn't change much, but my size did. This was after Stage 1 of nrol4w.

Edited to try & make the picture work - and I am standing differently in the after pic, but it definitely reflects the difference in how I looked, and I felt a million times better and fitter.

Holy crap! You look amazing!!
  • Tracyd262
    Tracyd262 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this, I used to be a cardio junkie, til i got introduced to weights, my body weight didn't change too much but my stats did, as did how my body looked. Now, i just do 10 mins cardio to warm up. The only time i do extensive cardio is if i am in training for a challenge/event, otherwise it is weights 5 times a week. Love it!!
  • craziwrld
    craziwrld Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck between 180 and 178 since march, now it is slowly inching down, i got to 175 the other week lol. But in that time i have gone from a size 14 pants to size 12, and have lost a few inches all over. People noticed that i looked thinner even though the scale was still measuring the same. I just think of it as maybe since my skin has had a break it will be less likely to be saggy, a girl can hope right :-)
  • jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Every week i lose inches (in decimals) than weight. So i'm going scale free. Scale has a way of messing up my mind.
  • allie_00p
    Options

Holy crap! You look amazing!!

Thank you! :blushing:
    Shortly after this circumstances led me to excuses and I skipped out on it all for a bit, gained a couple pounds back, but am currently back to this point, doing the program over and the results are consistent. I'm excited to see my results after I actually finish the whole program!
  • allie_00p
    Options
    Totally agree with this, I used to be a cardio junkie, til i got introduced to weights, my body weight didn't change too much but my stats did, as did how my body looked. Now, i just do 10 mins cardio to warm up. The only time i do extensive cardio is if i am in training for a challenge/event, otherwise it is weights 5 times a week. Love it!!

Exactly - I was a runner for several years, and I do still love to run, but my joints & bones dont like the toll it takes on me. I've seen the best results from lifting.
  • kate0707
    Options
    WOW your results are incredible Elsie you look amazing!
    It really does prove that you cannot reply just on a number on the scales.

Thank you everyone for all your replies. I really feel focused now to continue my journey and not worry about a number.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!