How to deal with extra skin realization?

Options
I'm a big boy in the 400s. I'm going to have a ton of extra skin. One of the main reasons I'm losing weight is for my looks and ever since I came to the realization that even though I'm going to be skinny, I'm not gonna look skinny, it's like my hopes and dreams just died. Ever since then I've been eating 2,200-2,400 calories a day and it seems to be increasing. I'm getting hunger alot more and my motivation to exercise is getting worse.

This is really my first big mental lapse persay so I want to know how to deal with it.

Replies

• Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i've lost a lot of weight and have some loose skin, it used to reeeaallly get me down but then i started doing more exercise and strength exercises too, and its really helped, the loose skin looks less and less bad. however my loose belly skin hasnt improved. i'm just hoping one day i'll have enough money to get surgery.
    BUT if not...its easier to hide loose skin then fat. no matter what im happy i've lost weight. in my opinion i prefer loose skin than being as big as i was.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is determined by age, genetics, how fast we lose it, and how much weight we had to start with with. You will not know until you get to that place.
    In the meantime, feel good about all that your body has done for you and stay focused on what you want. Thank your body.
    Please know that you can be thin and gorgeous whether or not you have some loose skin.
    If you are hungry, open up your diary so that people here can give you some suggestions/ insight.
    Keep in mind that hunger is a good thing. It is our bodies's way of telling us that it is working to help us lose wight -- that is how I like to think of it.
    This is a long journey. Take care of yourself.
  • desidieter
    desidieter Posts: 195
    Options
    If you add some strength training to your workout regimen, it will help tighten and tone things up as you're losing the weight. Best of luck!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    My demon is the stretch marks... I gained a lot of weight quickly when I was pregnant and my last trimester I exploded with stretch marks...but it may not be as bad as you think. I actually did a search for you to find this awesome guy that came to mind

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1276219-i-went-from-morbidly-obese-to-6-pack-abs-ask-me-anything

and found this wonderful example as well :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1356217-142-pounds-gone-going-for-40-more-my-picture-story?hl=400+pounds#posts-20753167

I hope this helps.
  • chunkyhoney78
    chunkyhoney78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Keep going don't let this stop you. Think of the health benefits from losing this weight.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    If you are young, lose slowly with a lot of weight lifting and other exercise this will be far less of a problem. But whatever the case trust me you don't want to get old still weighing that much. It's not just about living a long time it's about quality of life. At that weight you will be damn near bedridden by the time you are 50. If you are lucky.

You need to realize that you aren't losing weight for anyone else you are losing for yourself. And you need to realize that you have an eating disorder. Like me you are a comfort eater. You reach for food when you are bored, depressed, lonely etc. And that has to stop.

Also you can totally eat 2.5k a day and lose weight as long as you do enough exercise. Make sure you aren't torturing yourself by trying to go too low calorie at once. You would be surprised how your body adjusts. I am very active now and have just gone from 2 - 2.5k calories and the extra 500 feels like total freedom to eat what I like.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to say loose skin doesn't suck, because it does.

But I look at it like this...would I rather have:

Loose skin or not fit in an airplane seat?

Loose skin or have knee problems?

Loose skin or no energy?

Loose skin or early death from an obesity related illness?

You can hide the loose skin, you can't hide obesity. Sure, I'll have giant bat wings and will feel a bit self conscious in tank tops. I'll never wear a bikini. That's ok, at least I'll get to live. And hopefully for a longer time, being active and having fun!

Please don't give up!
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to say loose skin doesn't suck, because it does.

But I look at it like this...would I rather have:

Loose skin or not fit in an airplane seat?

Loose skin or have knee problems?

Loose skin or no energy?

Loose skin or early death from an obesity related illness?

You can hide the loose skin, you can't hide obesity. Sure, I'll have giant bat wings and will feel a bit self conscious in tank tops. I'll never wear a bikini. That's ok, at least I'll get to live. And hopefully for a longer time, being active and having fun!

Please don't give up!
    Very well said. Often we lose sight that the main goal behind losing weight is (or should be) long term health, better quality of life, and longevity. Looking good and feeling better is just a byproduct.

How many 400 pound plus people do you know or see that are older than their mid 50s?
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I initially lost over 100 lbs with diet and exercise, I had 5 lbs of skin hanging off my tummy. It gave me rashes and made life harder. My insurance company paid for a tummy tuck to remove the 5 lbs of skin (there was no fat they removed). You may have to get a couple surgeries. But you know, I'd rather be thinner with some loose skin, than be where I was with my skin filled with fat. Ya know? No one will know what it looks like under your clothing, and your insurance might pay for surgeries after the fact.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I have been going up and down twenty or thirty pounds for some time and it has left my skin saggy when I am skinny. To a point that I started eating more again to fill out. But then I did some research and I found out that you can do something about it.
    You should dry brush your skin as often as possible with a good body brush. I also bought microdermabrasion crystals and rub my body with that a few times a month. The skin will repair itself to a certain extend. Do not give up hope and certainly do no go in the wrong direction and give up weight loss because of it. I hope you are younger than I am, because the younger you are the better are the chances that the skin will bounce back.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I know I'm in the same boat as you. I started my weight loss at 163 pounds. When I lost my first 5-8 pounds I cried and cried when I saw the loose skin. Now, my case is different...I'm losing less amount of weight, but those days before I realized I was going to be able to tighten up were really disheartening. I honestly felt like I looked better with the weight.

So yes, I was being psychotic and though deep down I knew I'd never need surgery, the idea of it entered my brain and I wondered if I was morally okay with it.

I think anyone who wants to have excess skin removed or wants to look great after weight loss should just DO IT.

If you don't think you'll be able to pay for it, start saving NOW. Put a hundred bucks away every month. It'll be worth it. Plus, if you decide not to have the surgery you'll have a bunch of money saved :)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I know I'm in the same boat as you. I started my weight loss at 163 pounds. When I lost my first 5-8 pounds I cried and cried when I saw the loose skin. Now, my case is different...I'm losing less amount of weight, but those days before I realized I was going to be able to tighten up were really disheartening. I honestly felt like I looked better with the weight.

So yes, I was being psychotic and though deep down I knew I'd never need surgery, the idea of it entered my brain and I wondered if I was morally okay with it.

I think anyone who wants to have excess skin removed or wants to look great after weight loss should just DO IT.

If you don't think you'll be able to pay for it, start saving NOW. Put a hundred bucks away every month. It'll be worth it. Plus, if you decide not to have the surgery you'll have a bunch of money saved :)

This is good advice. Either way, OP, you won't know what you have to work with until you're at goal weight, so please put your worries aside and get healthy and fit, then decide.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I vote for making it into a kangaroo pouch!!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Fund your Roth IRA.
    Profit during weight loss.
    Withdraw when done to pay for surgery if necessary.