Should I drink whole milk?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Whole milk is fine providing that you can fit it into your overall dietary needs.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Then you'd have to buy it raw and unpasteurized.

EDIT: Sorry, *if you want milk which is unprocessed

Done right, that's the best! I miss my bulk tank milk. :(
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Go for almond milk instead! No need for Cow's milk.

But doesn't that defeat the point of avoiding "processed" food? I imagine those almonds are incredibly "processed" to get them into milk. You don't just squeeze them and get it, after all.

No, you blend them. It's really not hard to make your own almond milk/pistacio milk etc. At all.

That's not milk...at all.

Nope, better.

+1
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm at a healthy weight. All I want to do it is cut out the processed foods in my diet.

I probably consume a cup to two cups of milk a day, whether I stir it in tea, drink it by itself, or use it in scrambles and oatmeal. I've been drinking skim milk for the past three years, but I know it's processed and bleached and filled with additives. Still, I'm afraid that the extra calories and fat from whole milk would make me gain weight since milk is a staple in my diet.

Can you please source the bleached and additive claims?

I thought the milk fat was just extracted with a centrifuge prior to homogenization. That's pretty minimal 'processing'
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use whole milk, whole (full-fatted) cottage cheese and other diary products. Hasn't stopped me from losing about 3lbs/week. Besides, diary is a good source of protein and calcium. If you can fit it into your daily calories, there is no reason to cut diary from your diet, unless at the advice of your medical professional.

Therein lies the problem. OP isn't counting, so it really doesn't matter what OP wants to try or test or do. It'll all be guess work.

The differential between drinking 1 cup of whole milk vs 1 cup of skim milk is 70 calories. Easily countered by a very small increase in daily activity.

? If that were the only thing not being measured, but 70 calories here and there adds up when you're just guessing. Unknown variable =/= 70. I just don't get why people come here then complain tracking when the site is literally designed for logging.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm at a healthy weight. All I want to do it is cut out the processed foods in my diet.

I probably consume a cup to two cups of milk a day, whether I stir it in tea, drink it by itself, or use it in scrambles and oatmeal. I've been drinking skim milk for the past three years, but I know it's processed and bleached and filled with additives. Still, I'm afraid that the extra calories and fat from whole milk would make me gain weight since milk is a staple in my diet.

Can you please source the bleached and additive claims?

I thought the milk fat was just extracted with a centrifuge prior to homogenization. That's pretty minimal 'processing'

This. I don't like whole milk.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Im a Paleo MAN FOR LIFE.....I just think milk is great for calves to fatten them up and get em big.... my personal opinion... humans do not need milk...all the vitamins you can get from milk, you can get from other sources.....

Almond milk is a possibility...

good luck...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested I switch to whole milk, but I don't like the taste any more. I changed to 2% as a compromise. I'm lactose intolerant, so it's more expensive than plain milk. I don't know whether whole is more expensive than 2%.
  • wheird
    Options
    Im a Paleo MAN FOR LIFE.....I just think milk is great for calves to fatten them up and get em big.... my personal opinion... humans do not need milk...all the vitamins you can get from milk, you can get from other sources.....

good luck...

Cave men had blenders?
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options

good luck...

Cave men had blenders?
    And computers?
  • wheird
    Options

good luck...

Cave men had blenders?
    And computers?

And lived long enough to get osteoporosis?
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I heard you drink 1% is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you were losing before, with such habits as drinking skimmed milk, and then you transition to maintenance, and switch a few things over (slightly bigger servings, whole milk instead etc) I'd think as long as you don't go overboard, you'd be on track to maintain.

I know you said you don't want to calorie count, but even just for a goal of 1lb a week loss before this, you'll have an extra 500 calories each day roughly, from switching to maintenance. Switching milk is not going to account for all of that.

I say just drink whichever you prefer. I've never drank skimmed and I don't think I ever will, but I've drank semi-skimmed (2%?) since about the age of 10, before that was whole. That was just what I was brought up on, it's what I like. I only drink whole now if the shop's sold out of my normal one.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drink milk, then it definitely should be whole milk. Milk has a high sugar content and the fat works to buffer it so it doesn't get absorbed too quickly into your blood stream. Milk also has several fat nutrients which should be better absorbed with the full fat content.

Besides, it tastes great and full fat is only 4%, so you're really not saving that many calories drinking 2% milk and it's lacking so much flavor and richness. 1% and skim milk, in my book, don't even deserve to be called milk. They would be better referred to as processed milk products.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Just add up what the calories are for two whole glasses of milk a day. Then estimate if it would work for you or not.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I heard you drink 1% is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

I voted for Pedro!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Go for almond milk instead! No need for Cow's milk.

But doesn't that defeat the point of avoiding "processed" food? I imagine those almonds are incredibly "processed" to get them into milk. You don't just squeeze them and get it, after all.
    All foods go through processing. Hardly anything out there ISN'T exposed to some form of "poison" or "toxicity" because of industrialized agriculture. Unless one is growing their own food, the likelyhood of anything being "process" free is unlikely.

As for the OP, drink it if you like it, but if you're not accounting for the calories and exceed your TDEE, you'll gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

good luck...
    While I'll agree with your statement about milk, I just gotta ask: Do you drink untreated water? Cause that's what Paleo people did back in the day.:wink:

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    1264979807014.jpg
  • sullrico18
    sullrico18 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I saw the title of this thread and instantly thought of this quote. I'm so glad you said this! :-)