A shoe question for people who have lost weight.

Options
When I was in high school I wore a size 7-71/2 women's shoe. Now in my 40s I am wearing a 71/2-8, but in men's for the width.

My question is, if I lose weight, can I look forward to not wearing men's shoes anymore, or are my feet forever widened?

Thanks!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My feet have shrunk, and become more narrow. I've gone from a 8.5/9 to a 8/8.5 and I still have a long way to go...
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    My shoe size has gone down since losing weight - not sure about width, but I used to be an 11 in womens and now I am a 10, even have a pair of boots in a 9!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I used to wear an 8 wide. Now I wear a 7 regular. So you may find that you go back down to your previous size.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Here's hoping. :)
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest and due to severe swelling I was wearing a 7 1/2 to an 8 Wide in most shoes, now I wear a 6 regular to a 6 1/2 if the shoe is particularly narrow.

There's hope. :smile:
  • Vixy1989
    Vixy1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do your feet always shrink? Mine are SUPER tiny already and I don't want to start looking for shoes in kids wear!
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I read this with great interest, as I noticed that my shoes were starting to get loose. I thought it was all in my head. Apparently not!
  • Megais
    Megais Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My shoe size definitely is affected by my weight. At my lightest I could wear a 7 1/2 to 8 and my heaviest 8 1/2 to 9. One of the things I am looking forward to when I get to goal again is knowing I can again wear footwear which doesn't currently fit :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Do your feet always shrink? Mine are SUPER tiny already and I don't want to start looking for shoes in kids wear!

I'm not sure if its always the case - you might not carry excess pudge down there? Man, i'd love to have smaller feet! My mother always used to say that I could throw out the shoes and wear the boxes lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Probably depends on whether you store fat there. Although I would have told you that I didn't have any fat on mine. :laugh:
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Man, i'd love to have smaller feet! My mother always used to say that I could throw out the shoes and wear the boxes lol

LOL
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    I think it's partly fat, possibly edema for some of us (you should have seen my feet and ankles when I was preggers!) and maybe some of it is the sheer weight of our bodies pressing down and spreading out the bones?
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I think with age and going barefoot a lot you foot gets wider.
    I wore a 7.5 in high school and up to a 9 at my heaviest weight..
    Now 8- 8 1/2. Just depends on the shoe.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was wearing size 10 wide due to swelling and I now wear 9 regular, so you may lose some of the width
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Didn't go with a smaller shoe size, but when I lace up my sneakers, the two sides almost touch. This gives me an excess shoestring length, so I bought 6" shorter strings.
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I used to be a 12 in women's at my highest weight , now im a 10-10 1/2
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    In highschool I weighed in the 220's/230's and wore a 10D/E. During the 20 years since highschool I got all the way up to 360 and my feet went to an 11E.

Now I'm almost down to my highschool weight at 238 and I wear a 10 B/C for width. It's weird. I'm used to going straight for the "wide" or even the "wide-wide" width shoes but now I have to be careful because often they are too wide and I find I have to wear the regular width. I still sometimes wear a wide, but most of the time, the regular width shoes are the better fit .
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I went from a 9 1/2 wide most of my life to currently 8 1/2 regular so the wideness isn't permanent
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but there's no way to predict. No one loses their weight the same. I lost 1/2 shoe size and had to buy new shoes, but it may not be the same for you.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    My feet are smaller on the whole because of weight loss but they've flattened due to running so I have a wider foot. I am not one of the fortunate who got to shrink a shoe size. I'm still an 11/12, depending on the shoe.

I'm gonna go cry in my Fiber One bar now.