To Eat or Not?

Options
I am trying to find a sustainable and healthy maintenance diet and maybe gain a little bit of muscle, but I'm definitely not going for an all out bulk, just lifting heavy, gaining strength and getting protein in. So today my family had a brunch celebration from like 12:30-4. I couldn't wait to eat the brunch at 12:30 so I had a light breakfast of some yogurt, Special K cereal, and a nectarine. Then at brunch I had some smoked salmon (3-4 thin slices), two little slices of seafood pate (not great lol), two small slices of ahi tuna, a biscuit, some pineapple, some cantaloupe, and some celery. Then I had two pretty thin slices of cake for the celebration. Now I'm home and my whole family (who had either more food then me at brunch or the same amount) is now having a light dinner (like one taco or something). But for some reason I'm just not relatively hungry at all, not even craving food. Should I have something to eat anyway? Or is it not smart to force the food?

I know it sounds a little crazy to ask this but I just dot know whether eating something just because is smart. But on the other hand I don't want to undereat or anything.

I am about 140lbs, male, 19, and 5'7. I also didn't workout today.

Replies

• Twix856
    Twix856 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No matter your size, you should never eat just because.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Eat because you are hungry and not because you think you have to.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree--eat when you're ready and not when you feel you have to. Then you're assigning food a should/shouldn't role that it doesn't need.

If your goal is to eat more in general, it'll take a while to adjust to that (just like it takes a while to adjust to eating less).
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    No matter your size, you should never eat just because.

That's a bit of an overgeneralization - it depends on your goals. When I was bulking last winter I often ate just because, even if I really didn't feel like it - unless I ate enough I wouldn't get the gains I was looking for.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    But for some reason I'm just not relatively hungry at all, not even craving food. Should I have something to eat anyway? Or is it not smart to force the food?
    If you dont have to go to the bathroom, do you force yourself to? If you arent hungry. Dont eat. Wait long enough and youll get hungry.
    I know it sounds a little crazy to ask this but I just dot know whether eating something just because is smart. But on the other hand I don't want to undereat or anything.

I am about 140lbs, male, 19, and 5'7. I also didn't workout today.

Did you log what you ate? How do you know if you are under or over eating? If you still have calories left and can fit it in, eat if you want. But if you dont want to eat, then dont. Its not as complicated as you are making it.

ETA: quote format
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Eat. Always eat.