Should I drink whole milk?

Options

Replies

• michelle4352
    Options
    I make my own almond milk for cereal when I run out all the time! water, vanilla, and almonds blended together then pushed through a fine mesh strainer does the trick. Nothing processed about that.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm trying not to count calories, as that has become obsessive in the past.

Ok, then trial and error is the way to go. Add it to your regimen and watch your weight for the next 4-6 weeks. If your weight steadily increases (aside from daily fluctuations, namely water and food/poop), then either go back to skim or remove something that you eat or drink that's about 100 calories, give or take.

I think that counting calories makes me less obsessive about my choices because I have a much better idea of what I can fit in my regimen. There's no (or very little) guesswork. I don't have to wait 4-6 weeks and weigh myself so often to see if my changes will work out. I don't know why you're obsessive, but maybe just log one day with the whole milk and see where it puts you compared to a day with skim... of course this will only work out if your regimen is similar from day to day.

good luck!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I make my own almond milk for cereal when I run out all the time! water, vanilla, and almonds blended together then pushed through a fine mesh strainer does the trick. Nothing processed about that.

You're joking, right? Blending and running it through a strainer is a type of processing....
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I heard you drink 1% is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

Just make yourself a dang quesadilla.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I really hope this "not processed" fad dies quickly.

tumblr_m1n0f1reDO1qzo2xpo1_500.jpg
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The only thing I drink is whole milk---in terms of milk products, that is.

Why don't you just give it some time and see if it's fine?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was always a whole milk gut until I became lactose intolerant. Then I went to the lactaid 3% but when I gave up box cereal it would spoil. Now I and using unsweetened Almond milk in my oatmeal each morning and like it. It also has a much longer shelf life so i can buy the three pack at Costco. All I needed was some calcium and it has more than milk. Works for me.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try Goat's milk :) a healthy alternative
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use whole milk, whole (full-fatted) cottage cheese and other diary products. Hasn't stopped me from losing about 3lbs/week. Besides, diary is a good source of protein and calcium. If you can fit it into your daily calories, there is no reason to cut diary from your diet, unless at the advice of your medical professional.

This, I am in maintenance, I drink 2% milk and I still loosing weight, very little and slowly.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Going from logic only: if you switch from 2-3 cups skim to 2-3 cups whole milk each day, you will consume extra calories. You can adjust (without actually 'counting calories') by having less of something else.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Go for almond milk instead! No need for Cow's milk.

Are your referring to home made almond milk or the ones in the stores with all the chemicals, that taste terrible.
  • ANTlSOClAL
    Options
    I'm at a healthy weight. All I want to do it is cut out the processed foods in my diet.

I probably consume a cup to two cups of milk a day, whether I stir it in tea, drink it by itself, or use it in scrambles and oatmeal. I've been drinking skim milk for the past three years, but I know it's processed and bleached and filled with additives. Still, I'm afraid that the extra calories and fat from whole milk would make me gain weight since milk is a staple in my diet.

Who told you that whole milk isn't processed?
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Guys seriously. Yes no one wants to eat over processed food. We get that it's bad for you. But man people have to stop getting upset over the slightest human interference in their food.

It's pretty god damn amazing that we even live to 60 tbh. We should count ourselves blessed to live in an age of advanced medicine and tasty processed foods. I would bet anyone a million quid that if we somehow got a caveman brought him here and said look here's all this tasty food. If you pig out on it you will probably live to be 50. If you can show restraint and exercise regularly you will probably make 70. If you are lucky you could even make 100. What would his response be? Probably along the lines of this.

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm at a healthy weight. All I want to do it is cut out the processed foods in my diet.

I probably consume a cup to two cups of milk a day, whether I stir it in tea, drink it by itself, or use it in scrambles and oatmeal. I've been drinking skim milk for the past three years, but I know it's processed and bleached and filled with additives. Still, I'm afraid that the extra calories and fat from whole milk would make me gain weight since milk is a staple in my diet.

You could try raw milk, which actually tastes pretty different to whole milk (in my opinion). I, however, don't see anything wrong with drinking whole milk. I get organic whole milk, love the flavor more and find that it hasn't stopped my weight loss. Cheese on the other hand..... > <
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm trying not to count calories, as that has become obsessive in the past.

Then why would you be on a calorie counting site?

Because it's full of knowledge on losing weight, has a great support system, and is normally full of understanding people in the same boat.... but every now again you get that random a$$hat who just wants to be a useless jerk...

(In case you can't figure it out, I'm talking about you.)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Can you please source the bleached and additive claims?

I thought the milk fat was just extracted with a centrifuge prior to homogenization. That's pretty minimal 'processing'

This is what I thought, too ... actually, I didn't even think of a centrifuge. People have been skimming the cream off of milk for centuries (how do you think they made butter?) and would sell the skimmed milk for cheaper than regular milk, so it was common fare for the poor. The cream actually floats to the top, so it's not hard to just skim most of it off.

I've never seen or heard any claims of bleaching (it's just a slightly different color because the cream is removed) or additives until I starting running into processed food and dairy alarmists on sites like this, TBH.
  • gkaffen338
    Options
    Many people have an allergy to Milk that doesn't always show up as stomach issues. For some people in my family drinking milk produces immunoglobulin E antibodies that attack joints among other things. Large amounts of milk causes the regular lactose intolerant issues for me so i try to avoid it. I still drink a little creme in my coffee although i probably shouldn't.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/milk-allergy/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20032147

Greg
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Many people have an allergy to Milk that doesn't always show up as stomach issues. For some people in my family drinking milk produces immunoglobulin E antibodies that attack joints among other things. Large amounts of milk causes the regular lactose intolerant issues for me so i try to avoid it. I still drink a little creme in my coffee although i probably shouldn't.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/milk-allergy/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20032147

Greg

Not sure I'm understanding your point ... are you saying that milk shouldn't be consumed by those who have no issues, because some people have allergies? (Also, please clarify your "many" ... it may be a misleading term :wink:)

I know someone allergic to nuts. Does that mean nobody should eat nuts, because it's one of the more common allergies?
  • LuckySlydog
    Options
    Nope