Hate Cooking! No cook meals/recipes

Options

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Yeah yeah yeah. I tried it. Don't like it. Don't want to do it. I hate cooking and the last thing I want to do after a full day of work and an evening at the gym is COOK. I've gotten by on big salads for dinner and cottage cheese and fruit for lunch but I seriously need to spice things up.

Anyone have any fun ways to put meals/salads together that are low cal and don't involve much cooking? I'm talking like a creative way to eat tuna, etc. (I get cranky when I have to hard boil eggs).

I'd posted an easy way to prep salads here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1380615-sandwich-alternatives?hl=sandwich#posts-21011653

Or you could opt for pre-ordering your meals:

https://www.plated.com/
    http://healthyeater.com/diet-food-delivery-services
    www.blueapron.com
    www.portablechefnyc.com

If you're close to NJ, CT, PA ~ dreamdinners or look up any relevant location here: https://dreamdinners.com/main.php?page=locations
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    3/4 c dannon light and fit Greek vanilla yogurt, 1/4 c dark chocolate Cheerios, 1/2c blueberries. 16g of protein and only about 160 calories. Cup and a half of food and plenty of fiber to fill you.

1 can tuna or salmon or chicken or packet of surimi (fake crab) drained, 1/3 cup Greek yogurt, diced celery, 1/4 cup frozen corn, 1/4 cup frozen edamame, tsp pickle relish, salt pepper,stir

Any Wasa cracker spread with any soft cheese topped with sardines or smoked oysters/clams or sliced turkey smoked sausage or smoked salmon.

Cowboy caviar

Hummus or Baba ganoush served with pita, tabbouleh, kalamata olives and feta. Ziyad is the brand I buy.

Celery sticks stuffed with yogurt dip wrapped in light bologna.

Seafood depts will steam, shrimp,lobster and crab for you.

Hard boiled eggs are routinely in the deli section now

Hormel precooked bacon. Nuke 20 sec in micro on paper towel to heat it and put on a raisin bread peanut butter and fig jam sandwich.

Stuff avocado halves with drained crab, drained canned grapefruit segments and sliced black olives, drizzle with Russian dressing.

Clam dip with black olives and marinated artichoke hearts on blue corn tortilla chips.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I hate cooking. As a result, I spend way too much money on fast food and have slowly but surely gained at least 10 pounds in six months after I stopped eating home-prepared foods. I hate to break it to you, but it really is a necessity to cook at home. Not just for weight loss, but for financial reasons and all-around health, too.

What I started doing to relieve this was just buying a bag of already prepared stir fry veggies, and just put them in a skillet over a stove top with just a little bit of a stir fry sauce added in, such as teriyaki sauce. It may not sound great, but if it gets you used to cooking, it may be a start.

Trust me, I still struggle with the same dilemma.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is tasty and easy and requires only smushing, no cooking. In a bowl, mash together whatever of the following you have on hand: black beans (or pinto I suppose), some salsa, maybe some cherry tomatoes, avocado, olives, onions, peppers, cheese, sour cream, or whatever else "Mexican-y" you have laying about. Of course, you want the beans and salsa to be the main components, cuz they have the most nutrition; add a small amount of the more calorific ingredients. Spread on a whole wheat tortilla, eat with baked chips, or eat with a spoon!
  • LoveHealth7
    Options
    I don't personally have one, but I've heard great things about slow cookers! And I keep seeing tons of recipes for slow cookers online. Makes me want to get one :)
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I would buy cooked meats....A whole cooked chicken even and re-heat, use in salads or sandwiches. Also...think about a crock pot....easiest recipe. ..Put in fresh or frozen chicken breasts, jar of salsa and can of corn (or frozen) and optional can black beans....no cutting or prep. ..faster than making a sandwich. :)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I hate cooking. As a result, I spend way too much money on fast food and have slowly but surely gained at least 10 pounds in six months after I stopped eating home-prepared foods. I hate to break it to you, but it really is a necessity to cook at home. Not just for weight loss, but for financial reasons and all-around health, too.

What I started doing to relieve this was just buying a bag of already prepared stir fry veggies, and just put them in a skillet over a stove top with just a little bit of a stir fry sauce added in, such as teriyaki sauce. It may not sound great, but if it gets you used to cooking, it may be a start.

Trust me, I still struggle with the same dilemma.

oh my - that is still cooking to me :) the words "skillet" and "stovetop" or even worse "slowcooker" make me cringe. Not only am I completely inept (and I could seriously tell you some stories that would make you just shake your head and think I shouldnt be allowed around the sharp scissors), but I have *zero* interest in even attempting it. Its like telling someone they HAVE to pick up a hobby they hate. If there is a way to get around it, there is no need to do something you truly hate. I wouldnt do exercise I hated either. I will do what fits in my life, my interests, I can tolerate and/or enjoy, and that gets me to my goals.

And you do NOT need to cook to lose or maintain weight loss. Calories in/out, get your protein (I get over 150g a day! Mostly protein powder, but it doesnt really matter). It may require a little more creative thinking and definitely requires lowering your "taste" standards a bit (honestly, I just dont care - I eat because its time to eat... what I eat is a lot less relevant to me!) but it is no different than if you cook... pay attention to macros and micros and calories and you are all good.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Oh - some groceries stores in the deli section (i.e. walmart does) have hard boiled eggs already cooked and peeled. Costs more, but worth it to me. The other "trick" is to have my mom make me a bunch when she visits (I am 42 yrs old :) ). I have also made an arrangement with my mom - I buy a big package of frozen meat, send it home with her, and half of it comes back cooked (put in fridge and reheat throughout the week). She gets free food, I pay for double the food but get it delivered to me already cooked :)
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Try and find a place where you can order premade meals online or find a good take away place. Here in the Dallas, TX area, there are a couple of options but are expensive:

My Fit Foods - Complete healthy meals
    Eatzi's - All Takeaway (some healthy choices, some not)
  • tiona83
    tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My solution is find a friend that loves cooking. :) I personally love to bake. I think you need a friend who is like me that loves to bake and has to give it away so she will not eat it all herself. Sure you could work out some exchange or something. My go to for lunch a lot is apples, cheese and crackers. Easy peasy lemon squeeze. I have see loads of people doing the salads in a jar. http://www.theyummylife.com/Quinoa_Salad_In_A_Jar

I love tuna with pepper and a squeeze of lime. Best of luck on your solution for your problem.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Try and find a place where you can order premade meals online or find a good take away place. Here in the Dallas, TX area, there are a couple of options but are expensive:

My Fit Foods - Complete healthy meals
    Eatzi's - All Takeaway (some healthy choices, some not)

A quick google search popped up these sites, not sure what they cost:

Healthy Chef Creations: http://www.healthychefcreations.com/order-now.aspx
    Gourmet Everyday: https://www.gourmeteverydaydelivery.com/
    Freshology: http://www.freshology.com/#nationwide
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I agree on the slow cooker. I just got the I Quit Sugar Slowcooker book and tried the Icarian pork recipe...it was super easy and really yummy!
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    just buy precooked bacon and live off of that
  • UsernameisNick
    Options
    I eat a fair amount of oatmeal myself for suppers when I can't handle cooking after a long day. Not really great nutrition wise but it fills you and has a relatively low calorie count.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    So if, as you said yourself, you would be willing to cook once a month, there is a thing called "once-a-month cooking." Google a meal plan. One day of cooking in a month.

On the rare occasions that you do cook, cook a double batch (or larger, if you're only cooking for one) and freeze the leftovers. Then you can just reheat later.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I hated cooking. Now I cook all the time. Because I love food, and with limited calories, I want to make it as tasty as I can. Plus I can still eat what I crave when I find a lower calorie recipe for it... win/win.
  • kborden36
    kborden36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya, hate cooking. I've "finally" gotten into making breakfast sandwiches using the Hamilton Beach breakfast sandwich maker, put everything in, 5 minutes later it's good go go - that's the extent of my cooking.

For lunch I get a couple bags of salad mix at the beginning of the week and take one every few days and leave it in the fridge at work. Then each day I take the rest of my salad ingredients and dump them on top. Here are my favorites:

1) Light Feta Cheese, Hard boiled egg, precooked grilled chicken chunks and honey mustard dressing
    2) Precooked grilled chicken, Hard boiled egg, avocado, buffalo sauce (instead of dressing)
    3) Emerald's breakfast on the go pouch, Kraft Lite raspberry vinaigrette dressing, sometimes I add hard boiled egg or cheese
    4) Modified version of the Hungry Girl Apple Pecan Chicken salad - I just use chicken (precooked grilled chicken), lite miracle whip, apple and pecans. I mix it up and dump it on top of my lettuce.

Snacks - laughing cow cheese wedges, almonds, hard boiled eggs, apples, celery and PB
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the other posts but here is what I like to do when I am tired of cooking. Microwave a can of Mixed Veggies or my favorite Fiesta Corn (it has peppers and spices) in a bowl and top with a meat pouch (tuna, salmon, chicken, or beef). You can make any meat/veggie mixture you like. Also you can use Laughing Cow Cheese and a meat pouch as a go to sandwich starter or with crackers or just eat out of the bowl with a fork...yum!
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No you don't understand....I'm not going to roast anything. I'm not going to use the oven at all. Maybe once every 3 months. Thanks though.

I am the same way!! I actually have protein cereal for dinner most days. Add some fruit and then maybe some raw veggies after. Very filling and obviously takes seconds to prepare lol. I feel ya, I rarely cook!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    No you don't understand....I'm not going to roast anything. I'm not going to use the oven at all. Maybe once every 3 months. Thanks though.

How do you feel about a toaster oven?

Personally, I've been without a functioning kitchen for... awhile. I wish I had somewhere to cook. I don't even use a crockpot because it doesn't fit under our kitchen sink. A toaster oven and microwave is good for "don't even worry about it cooking," especially since toaster ovens can be programmed to turn off post-cooking, leaving you less time to even worry. Get some filets, throw whatever on them, put in, done.

Otherwise, canned or pouched meats (if you eat meat or fish) might help bulk up some protein for your non-cooking meals. Throw things on a flatbread. Pasta requires cooking but not very much of it; those shirtaki noodles can be eaten after just being rinsed. Etc.