Fighting Giving Up

Options
I have lost 119 pounds over the past year and a half, and now I'm down to my last 50. I have been on a plateau for weeks. Today I stepped on the scale and I'm up 2 pounds. I'm fighting giving up because I feel like I measure, weight, count, and do everything to stay within my food plan, and I get absolutely nothing in return. I did a report with the intention of checking out the carbs and sugar. What I found was that I only went over on carbs one day and it was just slightly. However, I went over on sugar every single day. The only thing I eat with sugar in it is fruit. Can fruit really be causing this????

Replies

• GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call 119 pounds lost nothing! You have less than half of that left! What will giving up accomplish? Even less, that's for sure! Plateau happens. Maybe change up your exercise? When was the last time you adjusted your intake? Are you sure you're eating enough? Too much isn't always the culprit. Best of luck and hang in there!

ETA: I've been at my goal before. I gave up, now, I'm back to the starting point. I don't suggest it. haha
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on losing 119 pounds! I know the days I get more steps in the less "swings up" or "plateaus" I saw. That being said, the last 10 pounds took longer to loose than the first 36.

I don't know anything about your journey, or how much activity you are comfortable with, but I know just walking, even if for just 5 10 minute sessions a day, really helps me.
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    119 lbs is a HUGE victory, celebrate that! When hitting a plateau, try changing something, like pick up a new exercise routine or make some change to your diet. Don't give up, you know you can do it.
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    119 lbs lost is amazing, don't give up! I haven't lost anywhere near what you have, but for the last 10 days I lost absolutely nothing (on the scale) even though I was doing everything right. I even gained a pound at one point although it dropped back off a few days later. The scale was bouncing all over the place, but never going down below a certain point. I decided to see if I could shake something loose by doing the opposite of what I had been. No exercise, and eating a much higher number of calories for 2 days. Yesterday was the first of those days and I admittedly went a little higher than I had intended. I ate 1500 calories OVER my normal limit. I also didn't do any workouts. I stepped on the scale this morning and had lost .7 lb. It's not much, but after being stuck at the same weight for 10 days I was really happy to see it. It sounds crazy but if you read some other threads quite a few people have done it and had it work so maybe it's worth a try. Just make sure that if you do it, you get right back on your normal calorie limit after 1-2 days and don't let it become a habit.
  • opalzkid
    Options
    I guess there was one thing I failed to point out. I am not able to exercise very much. I just had knee replacement in May, but I have one more to go the beginning of September. In the meantime, the exercise I get in only involves walking a bit. I appreciate all the feedback and will just be patient. I'm sure when both knees are good, my exercise will propel me out of the plateau.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    119 pounds is incredible, Congrats! You're just at a little bump in the road. You won't give up, because YOU are amazing!
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing the 119 lbs. That's amazing. Don't give up and have that all be in vain.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You have done SO well :flowerforyou:

Can you try swimming?
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention exercise. What are you doing for exercise?

Also, as always, you need to make sure you have a calorie deficit in order to lose weight.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Keep fighting. Big kudos to your progress and achievement so far.

“If you get a flat tire, you don’t get out of the car and slash all three other tires. You fix the flat and you keep going." - Jillian Michaels.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Congrat! You have done a great job. To answer you question quickly. At one point I had the same situation, I was eating a lot of fruit. So what I did was I picked fruit with a lower sugar count, upped my water and the scale started moving again. P.S. do you watch your sodium, a lot of times that can affect weight. Good luck, try to be patient and try to mix things up a little.
  • valeriesmith1840
    valeriesmith1840 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 119 pound loss - that is amazing!

I deal with these struggles daily...I really do feel your pain! Two pounds is such a nominal number, truly...I mean so little that it could just be water retention...I wouldn't sweat it although that is SO much easier said than done. Honestly I'll flat line for a week or two, gain a couple of pounds and then miraculously drop them plus one or two. I know they say not to weigh every day but at first I did...just to get a normal feel for what my body does. When I work out I gain 1-2 pounds water weight for a day or two - longer if I work out really hard - then it's like all of a sudden it just drops and my body lets the water weight go plus a pound or so. It's really psychological...it messes with your head!!

Another thing that seems to jump start things for me is a high calorie day with a few lower calorie days. I generally eat 1300-1500 calories a day but once in a while I'll freak out and have a cheat day and eat like 2800 calories or so. Then after that I usually eat 1200 calories for a few days and then gradually work back up to 1500. For whatever reason, that seems to kind of get things going again for me. All the while I still am working out 3-5 days a week.

Oh I know it's so hard but keep at it!! You are doing amazing...and even if you maintain your current weight until you can get things going again, that's an accomplishment! Hang in there!!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Though you are anxious to reach your goal weight, what is wrong with just staying on this plateau while healing from surgery?

You can try swimming if your rehab program allows it. Otherwise I think it well to be content on a plateau until you are mobile again and can exercise. I think immobility is what caused your plateau.

My weight routinely goes up and down 2 lbs a day just based on my hydration of the hour. Don't panic over small deviations unless they persist to become a trend..
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    OMG. That's a lot of weight to lose, congrats. Don't quit because in 6 months you will kick yourself, because you probably won't be as disciplined as you are now, and might gain. You are worth more than that. Just stay strong. My doc told me to only eat 3 servings of fruit a day because of being high in sugar, and when I was heavier I was pre diabetic....