emotional eating is destroying me

Options
Hello guys, basically for over a year now i have been eating healthily with no problems at all! i've always eaten 1300-1800 calories a day, 3 square meals, snacks and allowed myself treats but about 11 days ago something just snapped. 9 out of the last 11 days i have eaten 4000 calories and eaten until i feel sick. I have no self control, i don't eat for the taste i just stuff myself until i feel as full as i possibly can, i just want to feel full (which i never do) i'll eat 5 bowls of cereal, 7 slices of bread and a whole packet of biscuits easily in 30 minutes.
I can't stop and i have no idea what to do, i'm scared i'll never get back to normal, i have no idea what is wrong with me. I''ve suffered with depression through my whole weightloss journey and although it is worse now than usual i just don't know what to do or say anymore, i'm just desperate for help. I emotional eating is what got me overweight 4 years ago when i was at school, i can't go back to that, i've already gained so much back on.

Replies

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Oh sweetheart, you need to get some help. Find a therapist or a good friend to talk to and figure out what's triggering your binges. You mentioned battling depression, if there is someone you work with for that, reach out to them for help. We all of days when we get off track, but this sounds like something more.

I am so sorry you are struggling. But you've taken a major step in admitting there is an issue. Now you need to figure out your next step and take it.

I wish you the best of luck. Don't beat yourself up over a mistake, figure out how to fix it and then move on. Be good to yourself.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been putting off seeing my doctor about it but i guess i should, i just hate therapy so much after so many bad experiences with it but i guess it is the best thing to get help.
    Thank you so much though, the support from people like you on this site is what keeps me able to be kind to myself and not beat myself up about these things so thank you again.
  • awkwardlyhannah
    awkwardlyhannah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    emotional eating is such a difficult thing. i haven't gotten a handle on it myself, but i'm working on it. it helps me to remember that every single choice i make is a choice, not automatic. i often feel like i can never come back from what i just put into my body, but the truth is, you can start coming back with the next thing you decide to eat (or not eat!).

if you need support, feel free to message me. we can work through this together.
  • ginncjb
    ginncjb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are going through this. I'm definitely an emotional eater myself. I'm no expert, but if you have been eating healthily for over a year, you probably haven't done as much damage as you think, if you go back to your healthy eating habits as soon as possible. I hope you go see your doctor. There may be other things that can help that don't include therapy.

One book that helped me was "Women, Food & God" by Geneen Roth. If you aren't a religious person, don't worry. It isn't like that. The first time I read it (& took in what it was telling me), I lost 16 lbs. I've drifted backward & re-gained 10 lbs, so I'm preparing to read it again. It addresses "eating our feelings" & feeling like we don't deserve to be thin, among other things. I highly recommend it.

I'm not sure this applies to you, but I'm a "people pleaser", so instead of saying "No", I say "Yes" then have 2 pieces of chocolate cake. When someone says or does something that hurts me deeply, I shove all those feelings down with pizza. As you can see, I'm definitely a work in progress.

Good luck on getting back on track! Hoping you have a better week....
  • trablair
    Options
    I'm reading this book by former FDA commissioner and it's very eye opening as to how Americans have steadily been gaining weight and the science behind our neurology and how the food industry has us by the cajones. Very good read! http://www.amazon.com/The-End-Overeating-Insatiable-American/dp/B004NSVE32
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    One book that helped me was "Women, Food & God" by Geneen Roth. If you aren't a religious person, don't worry. It isn't like that. The first time I read it (& took in what it was telling me), I lost 16 lbs. I've drifted backward & re-gained 10 lbs, so I'm preparing to read it again. It addresses "eating our feelings" & feeling like we don't deserve to be thin, among other things. I highly recommend it.

^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^ Geneen Roth is an amazing author. She has several other good books too including "Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating," "Feeding the Hungry Heart," "When Food Is Love," and the book I am currently reading, "Appetites."

I don't necessarily agree with her 100% since she would be opposed to logging food. But I do agree with her belief that one should eat what they want when they are hungry and stop when they are full. I also agree with her philosophy of not owning a scale and obsessively weighing oneself. She also provides lots of valuable insight on becoming more aware of what you REALLY want when you think you want food that you don't need.
  • dreams727
    Options
    i am a emotional eater and also suffer from depression as well. i am not expert,but what i do when i start stuffing my face. I stop and ask myself what is wrong and what i am feeling down about. Than i get a journal and put a piece of gum in mouth .i write down my feeling and if that does not work , i try to find a song , so i can cry it out. if that does not work, i go to Micheal's and buy a paint buy numbers and come home and start painting.

Sometime i do call my sister or my mom and talk things out and if i cannot reach them , sometimes i go on a walk. it's like i have to get out of the house, away from the food ,so i can stop eating. i also sometimes get a fitness magazine and look at the skinny women and remember why i am on my diet and what will happen if i eat that whole bag of chips or eat that 3 bowl of cereal. so you can try some of these things and see if it's works

best of luck to you and be bless
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Hello guys, basically for over a year now i have been eating healthily with no problems at all! i've always eaten 1300-1800 calories a day, 3 square meals, snacks and allowed myself treats but about 11 days ago something just snapped. 9 out of the last 11 days i have eaten 4000 calories and eaten until i feel sick. I have no self control, i don't eat for the taste i just stuff myself until i feel as full as i possibly can, i just want to feel full (which i never do) i'll eat 5 bowls of cereal, 7 slices of bread and a whole packet of biscuits easily in 30 minutes.
    I can't stop and i have no idea what to do, i'm scared i'll never get back to normal, i have no idea what is wrong with me. I''ve suffered with depression through my whole weightloss journey and although it is worse now than usual i just don't know what to do or say anymore, i'm just desperate for help. I emotional eating is what got me overweight 4 years ago when i was at school, i can't go back to that, i've already gained so much back on.

stop purchasing these foods and you cant eat them. start planning good stuff into your day and water so you wont feel so hungry. Maybe exercise more. IT makes happy endorphins.:flowerforyou:
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    Options
    I have struggled with emotional eating for 40 years and also have PTSD and depression. These two books helped me a lot: EatQ by Susan Albers and Overcoming Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth. Both were at our public library. As others suggested, it would probaby be a good idea to see a therapist that specializes in this area. I never did, but that is because I was entrenched in dealing with my other issues.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^ Geneen Roth is an amazing author. She has several other good books too including "Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating," "Feeding the Hungry Heart," "When Food Is Love," and the book I am currently reading, "Appetites."

I don't necessarily agree with her 100% since she would be opposed to logging food. But I do agree with her belief that one should eat what they want when they are hungry and stop when they are full. I also agree with her philosophy of not owning a scale and obsessively weighing oneself. She also provides lots of valuable insight on becoming more aware of what you REALLY want when you think you want food that you don't need.

^^^^^^^^
    Yes. Yes. Check out Geneen Roth on youtube, at your library or Amazon, and FB.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    really glad i spotted this thread. I am at work, but stressing massively about my ex and can't concentrate, and all i want to do is go buy a massive hot chocolate, a croissant and some cake. it's all downstairs in the coffee shop and i just want to eat until i can't breathe but know that won't actually do a thing to help, and instead will just make me feel worse afterwards. Just spotting this is enough to keep me sane until i can go look into Geneen Roth.

Any other suggestions welcome too. for me it's not just about keeping trigger foods out of the house, i will physically go to the store to buy stuff if i am bad enough. or, i will eat some seriously random stuff i can find in the cupboard just to be chewing.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Guilty of emotional eating too. I was totally "game on" for two years, had surgery to remove the belly, and went to h3ll in a hand-basket just as quick. I lost 115, +26 from removing the belly, then gained about 75 back. Now back on it.

I've seen LOTS of posts lately from people who say they lost their umph.

I don't know what it was for them - but I think with me - I allowed myself a bit too much leeway when I was trying to recover from the surgery. The recovery was a little more difficult than I expected....for a long while, I had zero appetite. For someone who gets to the point of being morbidly obese and then not wanting to eat, this is a problem. Then went on vacation - gave myself license to eat. Then July 4th, then school starting for the kids, then holidays....excuse after excuse, then my dad passed away last December.

Life happens when you make other plans.

I've been trying very hard lately to get my groove back on. It's taken some time. I have to remind myself that I'm not like the size one civilians who are happy having a mere salad for lunch. I want the STEAK too. I can't compare myself to others. I can only do what I can do, and it's up to me to get the ball rolling.

I'm sorry if lots of cliché's or rambling - a bit tired this morning. But you get the drift. (I hope! :) )