Some alcohol help?

Options
Not sure if this is in the right forum but would like some advice.
See, I'm going up to a university for 2days in February for a friends birthday and knowing my lot, there's going to be drinking involved. A lot of it.
I don't mind drinking, It's just that I've been working hard to lose this weight and I don't want to gain any back from having a few drinks so.
Does anyone know of any low calorie drinks I can actually drink. Or would vodka and diet coke do it if I only had a few each night. (Not a big drinker after new years >.<)
I'm going to eat normally on both days because I don't want to get ill.
So anyone have any advice? Desperately needed.

Replies

• JustForMe27
    Options
    Im not sure about your questions for the most part since I really have drank since I have been on this journey but I did just look at a website called skinnytaste.com and I saw some drink recipes. Hope that helps =)
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Clear liqour in a diet drink is reasonably safe. So vodka and diet coke would probably be one of the best choices. Drinking a glass of water between each drink can help you moderate yourself as well as stay hydrated through the evening since alcohol can dehydrate you.
  • Stinger97
    Options
    I always drink vodka and diet coke when I go out. It's the lowest calorie drink I think you can get and it tastes okay. It's not my favorite drink, but it does the trick.
  • laurenhunwick
    laurenhunwick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I quite like Vodka with soda and a bit of lime, the soda has no calories and probably wont make you feel as sick as the same amount of coke! I am the same as you I have stopped drinking as much since losing a bit of weight as it seems like wasted calories but every now again doesn't hurt. In New Zealand they have low calorie soda based vodka ready to drink bottles which are nice but I havent seen any here in the UK yet!
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Like you say I would eat normally on those days, without going mad. And I've always been told Vodka with a slimline mixer is low cal. Try drinking it in a large glass with more mixer than usual so it lasts longer.
    But most of all enjoy yourself and don't beat yourself up about it. Just get back on track afterwards :smile:
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    clear liquor and diet mixers are the best option. do you like gin and tonics? they make diet tonic and most bars have them. a gin and diet tonic is one of the lightest drinks around (its also my personal favorite)
  • LMac423
    LMac423 Posts: 82
    Options
    Clear liquor is the best to stick to. Diet sodas, too. I only drink wine and that has never made me gain weight. You could also do a gin and tonic or vodka and tonic...those I believe are the lowest calorie alcoholic beverages. If you're a beer drinker, surprisingly Guinness is on the lower calorie end as is Michelob Ultra. Hope that helps! Have fun =)
  • luvlulu
    luvlulu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    rum and vodka have roughly 60 calories per 1oz and are lower in carbs than wine or beer. I ussually have captin and diet pepsi or vanilla vodka and diet pepsi. tastes good and not so hard on the waste line!
  • laurafatts
    Options
    Thanks for the website and the help.
    Basically the whole 2 ays is going to be a massive bender meaning beers, kebabs everywhere an the such an I haven't actually dealt with drinking since I started trying to get healthy so I was just worried and trying to find ideas to enjoy my night without ruining my progress.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/183

You can also search that website for other drink ideas. She has quite a few.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My friend orders Vodka and club soda and brings her own crystal light packets.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One or two nights of moderate drinking isn't going to make you gain, or even stop losing, weight. You'd need to consume about 3500 extra calories to gain a pound.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My trick is seltzer or club soda with a twist of lime, or even ginger ale (diet) - no one knows what you're drinking and it looks like alcohol so you can still feel like you have a drink in hand and are part of the festivities without wasting the calories.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Don't drink at all :) xo Be the DD
  • xTry2Defyx
    xTry2Defyx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am constantly in the same boat! I love my drinks, but have tried to slow down since I started. I actually was an avid wine drinker (and still want to be...) that is, until I looked up the amount of calories in wine! Most wines are 22-25 calories an ounce! So if you have a high tolerance (like I do) then you're easily drinking hundreds and hundreds of calories.

I stick to rum and diet cherry coke or flavored vodka with sprite zero. The diet sodas are harmless and most clear liquors have 60-70 calories per shot (and in lots of bars, you'd be lucky to get a shot in a drink!)

The main thing I would do is try and understand that this is going to be a challenge, and you shouldn't deprive yourself. Do the best you can to drink lower calorie drinks and not over-indulge (but indulge a little!) And maybe have an extra hard work out before you go and after to try and make up for it!

Most importantly...HAVE FUN! :)
  • laurafatts
    Options
    I don't drive anyhoo, And theres going to be about 20 of us. I can easily get out of drinking in the pubs but it's the pre-drinking I'm worried about because all my friends are taking up beers. I might just stick to vodka and then water. I did read somewhere that saving up something like, 200 calories a day for a few days beforehand could help so I might try that aswell.
    Thanks for the help guyss.
  • btrflyflutter
    btrflyflutter Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Vodka and Diet Red Bull has only 75 calories per serving and a popular drink for those who enjoy sugar-free Red Bull.

http://www.oodora.com/health-and-food/drinks/low-calorie-low-carb-cocktails.html
  • tiger87lilly
    tiger87lilly Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Basically the whole 2 ays is going to be a massive bender meaning beers, kebabs everywhere an the such an I haven't actually dealt with drinking since I started trying to get healthy so I was just worried and trying to find ideas to enjoy my night without ruining my progress.

As hard as it might be try not to bing, have some food and drink. I'm sure you will be able to find healthier options when away from the parties. Think about what's more important to you!
  • salmonpi
    Options
    I'm not a fan of it myself, but most light beer is around 100 calories and available everywhere.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

As hard as it might be try not to bing, have some food and drink. I'm sure you will be able to find healthier options when away from the parties. Think about what's more important to you!
    Exactly my thoughts 'what's more important' passing on alcohol for awhile while you're starting out so you can gain control of the carbs or perhaps falling into the carb routine all over again. The beginning can be a crucial time to really stay focused.