Has anybody taken a few steps backwards?

Options
Hi All,

I lost 20 lbs...after that, it stopped. I started a new job during that time and we get lunch brought to the office quite freqently.

Well, unfortunately, I'm ashamed to say that I've put half that weight back on and now am having a tough time getting rid of it...I've been more stressed out at work than usual I think and I've been almost constantly hungry.

I started to bring lunch half the week and have rep lunch that comes in a couple days a week, cause let's face it, putting that extra money aside for buying lunch stuff is expensive.

Any suggestions on what to bring for lunch when on a budget? Also, since we don't have reps the next couple weeks (I work in a dr office and the docs are on vacation) though they aren't the BEST thing for you, eating portion controlled frozens like smart ones or lean cuisines seemed to help me.....

I seem to have a downfall when I get home preparing dinner. After the gym I'm borderline starving, so I start picking which is where I mess up my calorie intake.... :(

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    We all have ups and downs. Sometimes its those things we do wrong that we learn the most from. Just start today and start making a better decision. You can do this.
  • sunone58
    sunone58 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try and eat as much fresh foods for lunch that you can really not any more expensive then processed and cleaner calories. We all do the weight cha cha just remember it's ok.. Just renew your will to change YOU can do it...
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It sounds like lunch and dinner are where you would like to have most of your calories, so I recommend:
    - Having a low cal, meaningful breakfast. If it's a hard boiled egg or a handful of almonds or a balanced breakfast bar, pair it with unsweetened coffe or tea or water. That way you feel full and you have more calories reserved for the two meals that mean the most to you.
    - I am big on salads with dressing I make myself and lean protein for lunch.
    - Eat something small with a giant tumbler of water on your way home from the gym. It will keep you from sabatoging your day.
    - Plan dinners in advance so when you get home, you know what you're going to eat and you're not headed for the first most convenient thing!
    - Don't keep things on hand that you know are triggers for over eating. (I purposefully do not keep Grippo BBQ chips in the house because I LOVE THEM and it's probably the only thing where I will say to heck with it and eat too many of them. When I do have them on hand, it's a small sized bag that I know my husband will share with me.)

Hope this helps...and I have definitely taken some steps backward in this. But if you keep trying new things and commit to the long haul, you'll be fine! Good luck to you!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Oh hell yes! Ever since I went on vacation three months ago, I can't seem to get myself back on track. Today is the beginning of my 3rd restart attempt and I'm really commited this time. Did a bunch of prep cooking this weekend so I was able to pack good healthy meals and snacks instead of heading to the cafe and snack shack like I have been.

I'm not sure how strict your budget is but I spend about $15 per week packing my own lunches (WAY less than if I buy a sandwich somewhere!) and that includes the fruit and/or veg I have along with my sandwiches. My sandwiches are currently made with 6 slices of thin deli ham (the round ones by Oscar Mayer or Great Value) with a slice of pepperjack cheese on a cinnamon raisin bagel thin - nice mix of sweet and savory. Then I have an apple or nectarine and/or cucumber slices along with.

Those frozen dinners are ok in a pinch if they work for you. I just don't find them filling at all...

There's also leftovers. If you plan your dinners a bit better, you could make a couple casseroles and/or soups on the weekend so you have them for dinners and lunches through the week. If you have a crockpot, that's a great way to have dinner all ready for you when you get home too.

Nothing wrong with partaking in the free lunches, just remember you can still portion control (skip the chips or split the sandwich with a friend) and maybe ask whoever does the ordering if they can include some lighter options like salads with low fat dressing or veg only sandwiches. And skip the cookies or whatever they're providing for dessert. OR just get an extra workout in that day so you can afford the extra calories.

Good luck!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Many of us have been on this rodeo quite a few times before getting it right. You can't change the past so forget about it because today is a new day. Personally, I buy the portioned controlled frozen meals like Smart Ones and Lean Cuisine because those help me keep within my calories limits. Although they have a high content of sodium, I still do not go over my sodium for the day or week. In addition, I drink plenty of water and tea. Therefore, I do not have any problems with those foods. I also cook more for dinner and bring leftovers for lunch. Another option is if you know ahead of time the reps will bring food to the office then allocate calories to cover for it by planning for smaller breakfast and dinner. This is something you will have to play around with until you find a method that works for you. Try preplanning your food diary for a few days so you have a better idea of your calorie allocation.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    moi~

I lodt about 10 pounds eating 1200 for a couple months then once adding daily exercise, weight slowly creeped back 1 pound at time...then a year later I went back to where I started and weighed heavy since....I have not been able to lose 10 again, not even 1 pound...*sigh*
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I found that pre-logging helps me stay on track. Usually whatever I decide to make for dinner, goes for lunch the next day.
    I have found that on Sunday's, If I cook a pound or so of chicken breast, then chop it and bag it, it lasts through the week. Add fresh veggies, rice or just toss it on a salad.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I previously lost about 130 lbs and regained 100 lbs of it. I put it down to mainly not understanding how I had lost the weight the first time. I hadn't been actively trying to lose weight, I was just eating at a deficit without realising it and the weight came off. This means I also didn't realise when I was no longer eating at a deficit and slowly but surely it came back on.

This time around, I've put real thought and planning into losing the weight. I've also made sure to be very aware of my food choices, why I eat the way I do, how much I "should" be eating, and so on. So far, so good! I've lost everything I regained, plus 80 lbs. :)

You can do this!
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    a FEW steps? mine could equal a marathon backwards... lol

i want to thank you for posting this though b/c everyone's answers are great for me too.

Good luck with your WL journey.

There will always be snags. I guess it just depends upon whether you give up completely or try to keep moving forward.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly going backwards.
  • Phatgirl420
    Phatgirl420 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I to work in a Dr. office, and they are always having catered lunches, courtesy of the drug reps. I used to eat these free lunches all the time, but when I started cutting down back in May, I literally stopped cold turkey. I have not joined in on one single rep lunch in almost 3 months. It was hard at first to watch all my co workers eating all that yummy free food, but I just ate what I packed, and did my best to ignore them, and the lounge area where the food was kept, now I don't even think about it when they say we are having a rep lunch, it doesn't phase me at all, because I am so used to eating my own lunch now. My best advice-wherever they set the food up at DO NOT GO IN THAT AREA, out of sight, out of mind, good luck! :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Every....effing....day!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is easy (I've done it many times!) It's keeping it off that's hard. So don't feel bad about that.

My suggestion for dinners during the week is to keep them really simple. Our dinners are meat, some sort of starch/carb (rice, potatoes, or couscous) and then just cut up raw veggies and/or fruit. No sauces or casseroles that take time. I just chop up the veggies and put them on the table. Half the time I just set the cutting board or colander on the table. Martha Stewart would gasp, for sure, over the lack of presentation, but it's really a timesaver. Plus I think that raw veggies/fruits are way more filling than the cooked variety. And if you eat enough that way you kind of get to the point where you think "good grief I am tired of chewing through these things so I'm just going to stop eating and give my jaws a rest," rather than just opening your mouth and sucking down soft cooked stuff.

As far as lunches go, I take pretty much the same thing every day:

1. one container full fat yogurt one cup full fat cottage cheese
    2. chunk light tuna in water (high in protein, low in calories, I eat two 2.6 oz packets for lunch each day)
    3. a dark chocolate/almond/sea salt Kashi bar or a dark chocolate chunk Nature Valley granola bar
    4. a bunch of raw veggies/fruits (~3 servings worth)

It's quick and mindless to pack that stuff while I fumble around the kitchen in the morning, waiting for my coffee to brew.

After the gym--pick something that is always going to be your post-gym snack--a glass of chocolate milk, greek yogurt with a piece of fruit, etc. Something with protein and carbs that is super easy to grab from the fridge as soon as you get home. Don't pause to change your clothes or sort the mail or pet the dog. Get in there and grab your snack so that you don't end up totally exhausted and resorting to grabbing a tube of saltines and shoving them in your mouth because they are fast to eat. (Gee, do I speak from experience?)
  • erica1649
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've just gotten so disgusted with this!!

I am trying to push myself to walk a little at lunch time...cause it's best to get away from my desk sometimes.

I am using your words of encouragement to help me!! I can do this...I need to develop a new patience.
  • Elizabeth_Darcy
    Elizabeth_Darcy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've lost count of how many times I've had to restart this. Things happen, both within your control and out of ot. The way I look at it is that you only fail at this if you give up completely and decide you're not worth it. Losing weight is trial and error (I still haven't figured out what works for me).

"I have not failed. I've just found 1000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison :bigsmile:
  • micervera
    micervera Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes I have as well. For some reason the summer months I gain weight & in the winter I loose. However I am gaining rapidly & I don't like it honestly. I started noticing my pants are fitting me tighter :( So instead of buying new clothes, I said to myself have to restart. I just have to try hard to refuse those foods that are bad for me or workout more. But I think a lot of us have been there.
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes- I have pretty much stopped all progress since July 4th. I had a few not so great days around the holiday, then a bunch of birthdays. I have also noticed I am drinking more frequently in the evening and have been going out more often. I am still tracking and pretty much eating at maintenance. I just get so down on myself when I think of where I could have been with another month of losing. The key is to not dwell on it and move on! I am making the conscious choice to track and not drink today- one day at a time! Good luck!
  • scthomas100
    scthomas100 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds a few years ago with help from an overactive thyroid. I went through radioactive iodine treatment to kill off my thyroid, but I never fixed my eating and exercise habits and gained all of it back, plus some. I'm going through a much smaller setback now, where I've gained back the whole four pounds I've lost in the last 9 months because I've been eating out too much and not exercising again.

For me, I pre-log my meals a couple of days in advance so I can plan out food and see how I'm going to be eating before splurging on something. Having one bad day isn't going to set me back, but having multiple bad days will. I also take a couple laps around the block at lunch when it's not raining (which is happening too much lately) and I have alarms set on my phone to remind me to go exercise after work.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    After the gym--pick something that is always going to be your post-gym snack--a glass of chocolate milk, greek yogurt with a piece of fruit, etc. Something with protein and carbs that is super easy to grab from the fridge as soon as you get home. Don't pause to change your clothes or sort the mail or pet the dog. Get in there and grab your snack so that you don't end up totally exhausted and resorting to grabbing a tube of saltines and shoving them in your mouth because they are fast to eat. (Gee, do I speak from experience?)

I think you have a camera set up in my home. I put my post-ride/swim snack on a plate or in a bowl and leave it in the fridge or on the counter. If I don't do this, even though I'm not hungry when I leave, and even when I'm going to eat lunch 20 minutes after I get back, EVERY TIME when I get home I start glancing around like a crazy person, looking for something to shove into my mouth. I don't know whether exercise makes me ravenous or it's just a Pavlovian reaction to exercise, and it doesn't really matter. I have finally accepted the fact that I need to do this, just like I need to lock the door when I leave. My go-tos are a couple of dried apricots and a handful of almonds, a serving of edamame, a hard-boiled egg and some salt for dipping, chocolate soy milk and yogurt that I add ice to and blend when I get back (sometimes with oat flakes left to soak in it while I'm out--makes a very thick shake), a couple of Wasa crackers and labne or hummus--you get the idea. I eat standing up, sometimes right over the sink.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yep. Ive been the same weight since June. Even gained back a pound.. keep on keeping on !