Food Scale Basics

I did a basic "food scale" search and just came up with a bunch of posts where a food scale is mentioned but not the topic. Anyone have any helpful links? I just got my food scale and I'm excited but also a little confused. For example: Today I had 45 calorie bread (2 slices) which is supposed to = 45 grams. When I weighed it, it was actually 37 grams. I took the 37/45 to get 0.822 and made that my serving. Is that correct?? I want to make sure I'm logging as accurately as possible. Thanks!

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    yes that's correct.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Yup, that is exactly correct!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Thanks so much!! That link was really helpful. One more question: If I'm making a recipe can I just throw everything into a bowl and just add my ounces,rams, etc that way?... Or do I have to measure each individual item and then throw it all into a bowl?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Thanks so much!! That link was really helpful. One more question: If I'm making a recipe can I just throw everything into a bowl and just add my ounces,rams, etc that way?... Or do I have to measure each individual item and then throw it all into a bowl?

You can build a meal on the food scale as long as you tare it between items.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    I love when the food turns out to be less calories than stated! That's why weighing is the most accurate way to go :)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    If your scale has a "zero out" option then you can throw them all in the same bowl - add an item, weigh it, zero the scale and start again.

If not, then you might want to add to the bowl after... unless you like math, in which case you can keep subtracting the totals to get the amt of that particular item. lol

ETA: Tare option... that's what it's called!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    If your scale has a "zero out" option then you can throw them all in the same bowl - add an item, weigh it, zero the scale and start again.

If not, then you might want to add to the bowl after... unless you like math, in which case you can keep subtracting the totals to get the amt of that particular item. lol

ETA: Tare option... that's what it's called!

Yes, this! It took me a while to figure out this option. All I have to do is put the bowl/plate on the scale before turning it on so it starts at zero with the bowl/plate. Add ingredient, turn off and turn back on to start at zero again.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    While you CAN zero out, or TARE, it is not recommended in case you would accidentally OVER pour/add your items. While this is easy in building a sandwich (except adding condiments...) it can be way harder to take those raisins out of the batter...
  • Sounds right!
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Ah, I get it now. Thank you so much for all the helpful answers. My food scale was the best birthday present I received and I'm so excited to see how much of a difference it makes.