Hair loss after weight loss??

Options
2»

Replies

• desidieter
    desidieter Posts: 195
    Options
    Try doing oil soaks for your hair in the meantime. I like unrefined/raw coconut oil, but you can use castor oil or amla oil, too. Fenugreek, plain full-fat yogurt, and egg hair masks are also good ideas, as they help replenish some of the protein to your scalp. I was having some hair loss issues a while ago, and I started using these various treatments, and my hair has improved significantly.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but along with the above suggestions for more protein you need to make sure you are getting plenty of good fats in your diet. Dietary fat affects your hormones - too little and you will start experiencing dry flaky skin, hair loss etc. Please don't fear fat - we need plenty of the good quality stuff to allow hormonal and neural pathways to function properly. It may also be worth asking your doctor about polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) as hair loss/thinning can occur with this also. Putting oil/proteins on your hair (masks, treatments etc) is not going to fix the underlying problem - those things need to be going in to your body to nourish you from the inside not just a temporary fix on the outside.
  • MichelleMcWain
    MichelleMcWain Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but along with the above suggestions for more protein you need to make sure you are getting plenty of good fats in your diet. Dietary fat affects your hormones - too little and you will start experiencing dry flaky skin, hair loss etc. Please don't fear fat - we need plenty of the good quality stuff to allow hormonal and neural pathways to function properly. It may also be worth asking your doctor about polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) as hair loss/thinning can occur with this also. Putting oil/proteins on your hair (masks, treatments etc) is not going to fix the underlying problem - those things need to be going in to your body to nourish you from the inside not just a temporary fix on the outside.

Good advice!
  • MichelleMcWain
    MichelleMcWain Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. I am going to really start working on eating healthier not just cutting my calories. I want to be healthy as well as lose weight.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. I am going to really start working on eating healthier not just cutting my calories. I want to be healthy as well as lose weight.

If it encourages you any. I kind of plateaued in my weight loss, and a friend recommended MFP. I thought I was eating healthy, but MFP showed me I wasn't getting near the protein I thought I was. I did notice after I increased that, including eating an egg for breakfast every morning, my hair started growing about twice as fast...about an inch a month or more, rather than the inch every 2 months that I had before. Even my hair stylist noticed it. No matter what happens, don't be tempted to use the hair loss as an excuse not to continue in your weight loss and exercise.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein! I've heard it's common with people that lose a lot weight quickly.

Did happen to me too, I increased the protein intake and I also added one egg to my shampoo and noticed the difference.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Just saying, you need to eat biotin for a few months to notice anything..
  • bullieforme
    Options
    I lost just over 70lb in five months and noticed my hair thining. Just shrugged it off til my hairdresser commented on how thin my hair was and that freaked me out !
    I have to admit my diet during the weight loss was rather bad ! I ate hardly anything at all for the first few months but never realised this would have any side effects! And it obviously does !
    Have been taking Biotin, "Hair, Skin and Nail", Calcium, Iron . . . too many to list ! and hoping hair will grow back as thick as it used to be ! ! Have been taking more protein too ie: lots of meat for breakfast.
    Would like to hear from others if this will reverse the hair loss
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad I never ended up doing it. I bought it because she created the diet to help fix her thyroid cuz she kept getting thyroid cancer. I've had problems with my thyroid, but never got to doing the diet. I lost enough hair from my thyroiditis. You should have your blood checked for sure.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The comments about possibly not getting enough protein, and getting your thyroid and iron (anemia) checked are all good. But weight loss, sometimes even if you're eating a balanced diet and doing it gradually as you should be, can cause hair loss. The only thing I would add is to use Nioxin products. I had to deal w/hypothyroidism, anemia, and hair loss after childbirth, but even after all that was taken care of, I was still losing hair by the handfuls. My doctor suggested it was stress related, which made my friends and family laugh because I'm so laid back. My hair stylist at the time recommended Nioxin products and within a week my hair loss stopped except for the few hairs that most people lose anyway. Unlike Rogaine which just grows peach fuzz, is expensive, and the hair falls out if you stop using it...Nioxin actually helps to keep the roots of your hair healthier and helps it to grow more, also have more volume. They recommend it a lot for people on chemo too. You can only get it at beauty salons. Find one near you at their website... www.nioxin.com

P. S. I have a new doctor now. ;-)

I had some hair loss related to the weight loss as I was on a pretty restrictive diet, which ironically was mostly proteins
    My doc also recommended Nioxin which I was able to pick up at ULTA stores (the website won't offer them) It does work and plus I am on maintenance now and eating a balanced diet so I am sure that helps as well
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Check your iron and protein levels in your food diary. They could be to low.
  • gettingsexy94
    gettingsexy94 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oh thank god hair loss is a common problem, cause I've been experiencing it too! I've lost weight at a slow and steady rate but my hair loss, was quite bad, especially when I was doing Insanity. Now that I've finished it, it seems to have reduced, but its still pretty bad. I knew my hair was falling, but didn't realise it was bad, till my mum commented on it, and when I looked at all my photos from the past, I noticed the drastic change. I'm only 19, so this is pretty darn worrying.

Pls let me know if you have any suggestions :)

Oh and Op, thanks for putting up this post! :D

xx
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, for sure. All kinds of things can make your hair fall out. Call the doctor.

Anorexics lose hair due to malnutrition, but short of malnutrition, I haven't heard of hair loss with weight loss (doesn't mean it isn't possible, though. Doctor, doctor, doctor.)
  • zharalee
    Options
    yes i remember this period i also had it
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem.

Before I began this journey, my hair would fall out in clumps in the shower, when I brushed or just molted off throughout the day. Now that I have started exercising and really paying attention to what I put in my mouth, I'm not losing hair at a outrageous speed anymore.
  • Flora_k
    Flora_k Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Please, have them check your ferritin and iron. I did the Omni drops too and had just had them checked when I started the hCG thing. Within a month, I had no ferritin left and they rushed me in for iron infusions. I know that drops that suddenly can cause all sort of damage including hair loss, nail problems, not to mention all the things that can happen to internal organs. Hope you feeling better.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    based on my understanding weight loss alone won't cause hair loss or thinning...as a matter of fact my hair dresser has comment on how much better and stronger my hair is...

If you lose too fast with a too restrictive diet that's when it happens. Not enough calories, protien, etc causes issues and hair loss is the first sign you are not getting enough nutrients and calories...

The Omni diet claims you can lose 12lbs in 2 weeks...and the fact it is Dr Oz endorsed says it all...

I highly doubt it's your thyroid I would bet on lack of nutrients on a VLCD diet tho...bet you are eating under or just at 1200 calories a day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Oh thank god hair loss is a common problem, cause I've been experiencing it too! I've lost weight at a slow and steady rate but my hair loss, was quite bad, especially when I was doing Insanity. Now that I've finished it, it seems to have reduced, but its still pretty bad. I knew my hair was falling, but didn't realise it was bad, till my mum commented on it, and when I looked at all my photos from the past, I noticed the drastic change. I'm only 19, so this is pretty darn worrying.

Pls let me know if you have any suggestions :)

Oh and Op, thanks for putting up this post! :D

xx

Stress and poor nutrition...slow and steady weight loss doesn't mean anything if your nutrition isn't in check
  • Flora_k
    Flora_k Posts: 72 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

SezxyStef wrote: »

The Omni diet claims you can lose 12lbs in 2 weeks...and the fact it is Dr Oz endorsed says it all...

Dr. Oz is a bit of a quack isn't he? I think the first time I remember hearing about him was while I was doing the Omnitrition thing. The people dealing this stuff were saying he was a fan and that sort of thing. Now, I hear his name attached to all sorts of fad diets. What sort of doctor is he? Doesn't seem like he's a very good one.