surgery

Options
I have to have surgery tomorrow....they are going to cut my stomach open from hip bone to hip bone....I have a female part not working so it is going to be removed.........no monthly periods anymore........

I have been losing about 3 pounds a week....working out everyday....doing some kind of exercise........I have lost 26 pounds so far!!

My concern is......can I still lose weight while being on bed rest? I am thinking as long as I control my calories...I should be able to maintain a weight loss? Right???

Recovery is going to be hard...and I am trying to stay positive about getting back to working out as soon as possible....and I know it will be hard to start back....like starting over on square one.

Has anyone else gone through this...with weight loss and surgery......any tips or suggestions for me!!!

My fear is that all my hard work to this point will go down the drain!!!!!

Any suggestions will be welcome!!!!!

Thanks so much!!!!

Replies

• Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone through it while going through weightloss, but you're going to need time to recover. I've sure there are some things you can do, but i'd discuss it with your doctor. You're going to be sore, and you're body is going through a major ordeal! Take time to think about healing, not whether your gaining or losing weight. :) Hugs!
  • BeautyCrys
    BeautyCrys Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Good Luck and I'll be praying for you and a speedy recovery!
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    I had a similar surgery last year. Yes, you can still lose if you manage your calories. Yes, I gained 4 pounds the week after surgery but it all came off over the next 2 weeks. The first week I was pretty sore but the second week I started walking (slowly not at all the pace I had been going) After that it got easier but at unexpected times I would suddenly feel a twinge or pull and think "Oh yea, you had surgery nitwit take it easy." I don't know if I was a typical recovery or not (my sister felt yucky for a little longer than I did) but ithat is how it went for me. My abs were really sore after surgery & I didn't realize how much you use them with out knowing it. Goos luck with your recovery.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You might want to set your expectations differently, focus on eating healthy and healing foods and maintaining your weight until you are mostly healed. Your body needs nutrients to build the tissue and recover from the surgery.
  • ame19798
    ame19798 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your resting calorie intake is different than your workout calorie intake. When you workout you can eat more....Just be very careful about what you eat. It is possible with the hormone changes after the surgery for alot more things to change, give time for your body to adjust and things should even themselves out.
    When you start working out again, don't push yourself too hard, you don't want to do more harm than what the dr will have done.

Good luck!
  • h0kieerin
    h0kieerin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to stay off the scale for a while when you get home. A lot of the time, especially with surgeries, they pump you full of fluid so you come home with a weight gain. The fluid will eventually leave your system and you'll get back to your more accurate weight. I'd hate for you to weigh yourself and panic because of the fluid you gained in the hospital.

I think if you are watching your calories, you'll be fine. The important thing will be maintaining your positive attitude.

Good luck with your surgery!
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!! You have all been a great help!!!!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out if you gain a little just after surgery. Your body will retain water for a couple weeks while it heals. You will also most likely be "backed up" for a while too. Just eat healthy, plenty of fiber, lots of water and let yourself heal. Worry about the weight loss later when you are back on your feet.

Have a speedy recovery!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    okay actually bedrest requires MORE energy to pump your blood from your heart to your extremities. Also, you are healing from a major surgery so you require more calories, protein, vitamins A,Bs, C, E, and actually your protein has to be approximately 1.8g/kg bodyweight. Talk to your doctor about your needs as a patient. You need to lose the weight and you need to heal. There is a balance and your DOCTOR will prescribe your regimen in this instance. After you are healed, depending on the surgery, you may find yourself in a state like menopause with all that entails. If you find yourself putting on weight, again, speak with your doctor. If your doctor doesn't listen to you, find a better doctor. Speak with nurses about patient teaching, they will help you. Look for support from people in similar circumstances and disregard information from people who are not well informed (*you can tell because they usually just give very generalized advice or fad tips)
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I have 3 family members who underwent similar surgery, I'm sure it's in my future as well. Praying for you today :)
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! we will all be thinking of you, hoping for a speedy recovery...